Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, for those of you in the SoCal area, you might be familiar with GMR, Asuza, and Mt Baldy. Well, the other day we did a GMR run, it was all fun. We took pictures on the top of the mountain, smoked, had fun. But suddenly the trip took a turn for the worse. On the return trip suddenly the Audi A6 in front of us emergency braked. I was in the 350Z right behind him, followed by a BMW 355i, a Mini, and a VW GTI. At first I thought the A6 blew out his tires so I got out to inspect his car and he was screaming "HE WENT OVER!" I'm like what? "THE LEXUS WENT OVER!". Oh s**t... So we all ran to the side of the canyon and called down to him. He was alive. Long story short, his car didnt turn enough, he didnt have his seatbelt on, the airbag never deployed. The last thing he remembered was having a death grip on the steering wheel and he woke up on the passenger side.

We're still trying to piece together what actually happened. According the the Audi, he didnt turn and just drove stright up the berm and down he rolled. His account was he was going to fast and the turn was coming up, he braked hard but didnt turn enough. He dont remember if the ABS kicked in or not. He didnt have a single scratch on him after rolling 800 feet.

So any of you have any theories on what might have happened? Thats about as much info as I know and different theories are being thrown around on what caused it...

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
His "ABS didn't kick in" he must be really stupid.

What caused it? I would say that it was his stupid a** doing something he shouldn't have been doing.

Why his airbag did not go off? They usually only go off in a frontal collision above 14 mph dead center into a wall. Higher if it's another car or something that absorbs impact. He is actually lucky his airbags did not go off, because they deploy over 200mph and would have caused him more harm than good.

The dumb a** should have died IMO, when you are stupid enough to drive on a windy road that he could not handle(most likely due to stupidity) he should not be on the road. He could have hit someone else.

Bottom line: He should have been paying attention and wearing a seat belt. He should also take responsibility for the crash. Blaming the car for not turning, or the ABS for not working is no excuse for bad driving.

Cultist

What are you asking exactly?
Why he wasn't able to turn?
Why he ended up on the passenger side, instead of the bottom of the ravine?
Why the airbags didn't deploy?
Holy s**t you're probably within an hour from me, I live in Riverside and have gone to Mount Baldy since I was little and go off roading/shooting near Asuza frequently
Honestly, I get scared shitless on mountain roads. Doesn't matter if you're ina 2 ton SUV (like me) or a lightweight sports car, road imperfections are probably what take people by surprise and send them over the railing. People know their capabilities, we shouldn't push them on public roads. People tailgate me as I putt along those cliff sides, but I don't let them affect me, but I'll let them pass when I see a turn out. With all the other cars out there too, maybe the Audi felt like going beyong his comfort level and ability, or maybe there was a rough patch in the rode, a bit less of traction, some unconsistant, and lost control. Maybe he miscalculated the turn, and was just going too fast. People makes mistakes. I hope you guys aren't trying to drift around those blind turns
midnitevil
What are you asking exactly?
Why he wasn't able to turn?
Why he ended up on the passenger side, instead of the bottom of the ravine?
Why the airbags didn't deploy?

Any idea what might have caused it?

Actually if you can answer any of those, that'll help us piece together what might have happened. He blacked out and didnt remember much. We're theorizing on what happened since I didnt see it, I can only go by the account of the Audi and his own accounts.
zosh
Holy s**t you're probably within an hour from me, I live in Riverside and have gone to Mount Baldy since I was little and go off roading/shooting near Asuza frequently

I'm probably closer to you than that. I live in the Rancho/Ontario area. I do go to adam's track once in a while in riverside to watch thrusday drift night and tuesday time attacks.
zosh
Honestly, I get scared shitless on mountain roads. Doesn't matter if you're ina 2 ton SUV (like me) or a lightweight sports car, road imperfections are probably what take people by surprise and send them over the railing. People know their capabilities, we shouldn't push them on public roads. People tailgate me as I putt along those cliff sides, but I don't let them affect me, but I'll let them pass when I see a turn out. With all the other cars out there too, maybe the Audi felt like going beyong his comfort level and ability, or maybe there was a rough patch in the rode, a bit less of traction, some unconsistant, and lost control. Maybe he miscalculated the turn, and was just going too fast. People makes mistakes. I hope you guys aren't trying to drift around those blind turns

The thing is we were all going 30. The first guy in a hyundai and the second guy in a mercedes were all going 30, he was third followed by the audi and my Z. The first time I tackled that mountain I was on 2 wheels. I was scared shitless and didnt dare go above 50.

Enduring Friend

He understeered. Derp.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he WAS paying attention and WAS trying to steer.

What causes unintentional understeer? Screwed up tires, screwed up power steering, and going to fast (but he was going 30 so that isnt fast...)

Check his tires if you can. Any flaws? Theres your problem. If the tires are good, check the power steering? That's good? The rest of the steering system was good too? His fault.
Gill_Of_Octane
zosh

I'm probably closer to you than that. I live in the Rancho/Ontario area. I do go to adam's track once in a while in riverside to watch thrusday drift night and tuesday time attacks.
Nice! When my classes end, I'm gonna start going there. Do you go on the track or just spectate? Me and my buddies just go to watch, but know a few guys that do the time attack
zosh
Gill_Of_Octane
zosh

Nice! When my classes end, I'm gonna start going there. Do you go on the track or just spectate? Me and my buddies just go to watch, but know a few guys that do the time attack

Spectating for now. I'll eventually enter with my team.
Kokuren
His "ABS didn't kick in" he must be really stupid.

What caused it? I would say that it was his stupid a** doing something he shouldn't have been doing.

Why his airbag did not go off? They usually only go off in a frontal collision above 14 mph dead center into a wall. Higher if it's another car or something that absorbs impact. He is actually lucky his airbags did not go off, because they deploy over 200mph and would have caused him more harm than good.

The dumb a** should have died IMO, when you are stupid enough to drive on a windy road that he could not handle(most likely due to stupidity) he should not be on the road. He could have hit someone else.

Bottom line: He should have been paying attention and wearing a seat belt. He should also take responsibility for the crash. Blaming the car for not turning, or the ABS for not working is no excuse for bad driving.

Drunk commenting again? Little aggressive there.
He was probably texting.
Id bet the wheels locked. I don't know a huge amount about audi's but I'm guessing it isn't the lightest car (and id be suprised if it had less then 60% weight in the front) hard braking + front heavy + fwd or awd + downhill + turn = nasty understeer right?

Enduring Friend

Fire_Ace
Id bet the wheels locked. I don't know a huge amount about audi's but I'm guessing it isn't the lightest car (and id be suprised if it had less then 60% weight in the front) hard braking + front heavy + fwd or awd + downhill + turn = nasty understeer right?

... Uhm. It was the Lexus that went over sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces