Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
I'm the temporary captain of a guild and I'm having two big problems. My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get crew members to attend the meetings or even posting in one of the crew threads. It takes either me or the Vice Captain yelling at them in a public thread, in order for them to attend. Some crew members are busy, and I understand that, but some members just don't show up.
Another problem I'm having is getting people to be active. We have quite a few members, but only a small percentage actually participates. The rest don't even post, and they eventually end up getting banned. Us crew tries to get people to be active by having contests (Guild Lotto, Member of the Week, etc), but that doesn't seem to be having any effect.

Also my own guild is having a hard time getting people to join. How do I make the guild more appealing?
Could someone please give me some advice on what I should do? Thank You.
What is the guild about, and why are you a temporary captain?

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
LillianSaire
What is the guild about, and why are you a temporary captain?

The guild is The Hetalia Fanatics Guild, and I'm temporary captain because the official captain is away for a couple of months.
I'm sorry, but I can't find the guild, could you provide a link?

I'm thinking that part of the problem might be that some people don't like someone that isn't the captain being the captain. Was the guild having problems before the captain left?

Spicy Spook

50,350 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Haunter 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
If you are temp captain, I am going to assume that you were given permission to treat this guild as your own to do as you please. So that being said, I will make some suggestions but I'm not going to be held responsible if you decide to take my advice and get in any trouble.

1) If you are having trouble with your crew for not being active in the guild, you should PM each one of them and ask them why they aren't more active in the guild and explain to them that if they aren't going to be more active then they will be demoted to member. If you PM a crew, and they do not respond to your PM because they are taking a hiatus from Gaia, I would suggest you to still demote them and give a reason why and tell them that if they should return to PM you or the original captain and their position will be restored.

2) I don't recommend banning anyone for being inactive in the guild. Many members lurk, or get busy doing other things around Gaia, or maybe have taken their own hiatus that you don't know about. I would suggest that you could add a thread to your guild to ask members to post if they are going on a long break. That way you know not to ban them, if you still feel than banning people is the right thing to do. And don't get me wrong, if ya'll feel that banning is the way to go, then do it. It's just that some potentially good, active guild members might get scared off at the threat of a possible ban and just quit the guild. Something I'd rather not see happen to anyone's guild.

3) Directly yelling at others in front of others isn't a great idea. Not only are you making the person you are yelling at mad & prolly making them quit, you will also prolly make their friends pissed, too. And out the door they go along with a few other members who see that and think eek "I don't want to be a part of this sort of stuff". The last thing you want to happen in your guild as a mass decrease of potentially great members. Also they won't be recommending your guild to anyone else. And if someone should happen to ask them their opinion on your guild, it won't be a good one. And then any future guild members are lost, too.

4) I would suggest sending an apology to all guild members via announcements about the yelling. Also I re-invite all members that were banned back to the guild with an apology attached to it.

I can give you suggestions on how to make your guild more appealing, but I'd have to take a look at it first.

Spicy Spook

50,350 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Haunter 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
Ok, I've looked over the guild and here is what I will suggest.

1) The home page looks ok. But I would remove everything except the pictures & add what the guild is about. That's all that members need to see & know on the home page. And try to keep it short & sweet. Many people lose interest if they have to sit & read an extremely long story about what is inside the guild.

2) The rules should be stickied in the main forum and those should be the guild's overall rules. I also suggest making one stickied rule for each sub-forum. Those rules should only apply to that sub-forum and you can include a link to the main forums rules.

3) Getting people to get active in the guild can be tricky. I suggest first working on making your guild better by dealing with the current problems. Once you've finished you can begin making new topics or contests. I also would like to suggest that you come up with your own events just for the guild. I think something related to the show would be fun. Like a towns raid and everyone dresses like someone from the show. Or a themed tektek contest that they have to tektek a certain character from the show.

And I think that's all from me. I hope I was able to help you make your guild better and I wish you all the best. User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff