Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Genius

6,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Nerd 50
I'm about to start a guild and I would like some advice for it. How many people should I have supporting me before I create it? (To join right after I create it and help me maintain it) How can I keep it alive? How strict should I be towards members on guild rules?

And anything else you think might be helpful.

Hot Lop

Hello! I'm not a super experienced captain, but I want to help c:

1) It really all depends. You don't always need moderators right away (Not that many people), but it does help to have a friend posting in your guild to encourage anyone you invite to talk and goof off with. I have a friend that posts a lot in my guild and it sure is helpful in getting others to not be as shy.

2) You've got to keep up with posting threads, if you expect other to post. Let members know you appreciate them too! I made a Notices thread in my guild and I quote people whenever they've been gone for awhile or just to say thank you for being active. Contests and stuff are fun, but throwing gold at people for being active is usually a temporary solution in my experience.

3) It really depends on what kind of guild you're running. Unless you're anticipating a mass spam apocalypse, it's okay to be flexible on the rules. Enforce the rules, make sure members know what the rules are, and punish as you deem fit if trouble arises. If you are that worried that people might not know what the rules are or break them too much, make a rule sticky that people have to reply to, similar to a contract, saying they read the rules.

Generic advice: Don't make too many subforums xD If your guild is themeless (talk about everything) it doesn't always mean you need to make a forum for everything. Topics can cover a subject just as well, and it might make the guild a little neater.

Greedy Genius

6,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Nerd 50
Captain Silas Manner

1) It really all depends. You don't always need moderators right away (Not that many people), but it does help to have a friend posting in your guild to encourage anyone you invite to talk and goof off with. I have a friend that posts a lot in my guild and it sure is helpful in getting others to not be as shy.

2) You've got to keep up with posting threads, if you expect other to post. Let members know you appreciate them too! I made a Notices thread in my guild and I quote people whenever they've been gone for awhile or just to say thank you for being active. Contests and stuff are fun, but throwing gold at people for being active is usually a temporary solution in my experience.

3) It really depends on what kind of guild you're running. Unless you're anticipating a mass spam apocalypse, it's okay to be flexible on the rules. Enforce the rules, make sure members know what the rules are, and punish as you deem fit if trouble arises. If you are that worried that people might not know what the rules are or break them too much, make a rule sticky that people have to reply to, similar to a contract, saying they read the rules.

Generic advice: Don't make too many subforums xD If your guild is themeless (talk about everything) it doesn't always mean you need to make a forum for everything. Topics can cover a subject just as well, and it might make the guild a little neater.

Thanks a lot! I'm sure this will be helpful, I jut didn't want to jump into it without being prepared.

Hot Lop

You are very welcome, and good luck!

Shadow_Assassin26_TDA
Captain Silas Manner

Thanks a lot! I'm sure this will be helpful, I jut didn't want to jump into it without being prepared.
Shadow_Assassin26_TDA
I'm about to start a guild and I would like some advice for it. How many people should I have supporting me before I create it? (To join right after I create it and help me maintain it) How can I keep it alive? How strict should I be towards members on guild rules?

And anything else you think might be helpful.

The most important part is that you have about three or four people you're friends with who are willing to really support you for the crew.
If you do the whole team should try and invite all the friends and aquintances from the field they know and get them to talk in the guild. Once there's an interesting discussion people will gradually and naturally start taking part in the activities, but you should occasionally remind them of the purpose.
If you do all of that the guild should work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff