Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bear

I agree. Brave was just like....when the student that usually gets A+ receives a B for the first time.
Yet it shouldn't had won, Reck It Ralph or Paranorman were way better.

Fruiti Tooti's Partner In Crime

Divine Darling

29,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Angel-Grell
Divinity in Motion
Angel-Grell
I was upset, too. emotion_donotwant Wreck it Ralph was so good. Can't believe it was robbed. crying

Oh well, at least Paperman won for best short. heart
I'm happy to see Paperman won. I loved that story.

It was so cute. heart
Yep, and I love the art style. =u=

Conservative Conventioneer

10,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I was mega super pissed when Brave won..... AGAIN >.>
Haven't seen it, but now I never will.
First, It stole the win from Hotel Transylvania and Rise of the Guardians.
This time, Pirates! Band of Misfits, and ParaNorman.
All great movies, very cute, loved em, very well made.

BUT, it HAD to steal the win, EDIT: Twice, I might add stressed , from a truly spectacular movie that spoke to me, and any other gamer who watched and loved it like I did, which was Wreck-it-Ralph.

I'm really disappointed, I really am =/

Ralph deserved that win.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I saw Wreck-It Ralph and Brave, and I thought both were pretty good. I'll admit that I was disappointed that Wreck-It Ralph didn't win, but come on people.A nomination is still better than not being nominated at all, right?

Feral Diedrich

Divinity in Motion
Angel-Grell
Divinity in Motion
Angel-Grell
I was upset, too. emotion_donotwant Wreck it Ralph was so good. Can't believe it was robbed. crying

Oh well, at least Paperman won for best short. heart
I'm happy to see Paperman won. I loved that story.

It was so cute. heart
Yep, and I love the art style. =u=

Same. :3 It was beautiful.

Enduring Gaian

I was surprised the Brave won, but after thinking about who the majority voting members of the Academy are, I realized the explanation was easy (and unfortunate):

Quote:
Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

Wreck-it-Ralph, the all-around best production (script, visuals, etc), is about video games, which the average Oscar voter probably doesn't give a damn about. Not only is the humor lost, but probably most of the voter interest as well. If they even bothered to watch the film (I find it hard to believe Oscar voters thoroughly watch all of their films with equal measure). Plus, Wreck-it-Ralph had more cartoony designs than Brave.

Paranorman, which was overall the most impressive production because of the way that film was made (puppets) and the fluidity of movement, was probably never gonna get because it was wonky, cartoony, about zombies, and also because I highly doubt those voters knew what went on to make that production. Hollywood hasn't given a crap about animated films since the early days of Disney; I would not be surprised to find that most of them did not know what went on in Paranorman.

Frankenweenie and Pirates were more stop-motion weirdness that weren't even executed as well as Paranorman.

There is also the fact that Rise of the Guardians wasn't even nominated. The final result wasn't as strong as Wreck-it-Ralph, but it's animating on the Sandman and Pitch were unmatched (and I would argue Toothiana too), were unmatched this year in CGI animation. It was at least as strong as Paranorman as a contender. But then it was about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Toothfairy, so you can bet it was written off as children's film.

My guess is that Brave had the most human designs and a story that voters would more likely pay attention to. Also, you know how media feels about red-heads. They made such a huge deal about her hair animation.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I was pretty certain that brave was going to win. Wreck it Ralph I knew wasn't going to win but at the very least I was hoping that Frankenweenie had a chance.

Shirtless Raider

I was hoping that Wreck-it Ralph would win, but kind of had a feeling Brave would. Wreck-it Ralph was amazing, but many people may no know who the characters that cameo are, so they don't view it the same.

Enkyubus's Wife

Melodious Conversationalist

CelestialChild
I was surprised the Brave won, but after thinking about who the majority voting members of the Academy are, I realized the explanation was easy (and unfortunate):

Quote:
Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

Wreck-it-Ralph, the all-around best production (script, visuals, etc), is about video games, which the average Oscar voter probably doesn't give a damn about. Not only is the humor lost, but probably most of the voter interest as well. If they even bothered to watch the film (I find it hard to believe Oscar voters thoroughly watch all of their films with equal measure). Plus, Wreck-it-Ralph had more cartoony designs than Brave.

Paranorman, which was overall the most impressive production because of the way that film was made (puppets) and the fluidity of movement, was probably never gonna get because it was wonky, cartoony, about zombies, and also because I highly doubt those voters knew what went on to make that production. Hollywood hasn't given a crap about animated films since the early days of Disney; I would not be surprised to find that most of them did not know what went on in Paranorman.

Frankenweenie and Pirates were more stop-motion weirdness that weren't even executed as well as Paranorman.

There is also the fact that Rise of the Guardians wasn't even nominated. The final result wasn't as strong as Wreck-it-Ralph, but it's animating on the Sandman and Pitch were unmatched (and I would argue Toothiana too), were unmatched this year in CGI animation. It was at least as strong as Paranorman as a contender. But then it was about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Toothfairy, so you can bet it was written off as children's film.

My guess is that Brave had the most human designs and a story that voters would more likely pay attention to. Also, you know how media feels about red-heads. They made such a huge deal about her hair animation.
          Those are very good points. I never would have thought the voting choices were THAT biased. x____x

I'm gonna have to show your post to some people. Thank you!

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
I kinda want to say they chose Brave because it's a Pixar movie...but that would be horrible.

Just saying.

Hopeful Lightbringer

52,900 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
I wish that Wreck-It Ralph would've won. I haven't seen it yet, but it's supposed to be so good! crying

Devoted Seeker

18,025 Points
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500
could well be the case.

Questionable Borg

Skarlis
          Don't get me wrong, I liked Brave, but I felt it was a snoozefest since...well, they didn't go anywhere. I was expecting the movie to be about Merida going on a big a** adventure and learning to find courage, but instead
          we get her mom turning into a bear. Don't get me wrong, I like bears a LOT
          and it kinda made it...meh.

I'm happy Pirates! got nominated; I know the people who worked on it and they're gonna party tomorrow, even though they lost. 4laugh
It was animated, and comedy, and about a video game.

When it comes to awards, that's 3 strikes.

Enkyubus's Wife

Melodious Conversationalist

Mayor Gravity
It was animated, and comedy, and about a video game.

When it comes to awards, that's 3 strikes.
          But the first Oscar given for an animated feature was Shrek which was 1] animated [now a category so I don't think we can count that part anymore] 2] a comedy and 3] a parody to an extent, which is not considered as good writing sometimes by older people.

Paranorman was about zombies, which is very popular, as are video games.
          Frankenweenie could also fall into the zombie category, and was considered a sci-fi more than a comedy.
          Pirates! was about..well, pirates, and also a comedy and pirates are a late fad.

If you look at the list of nominees and winners from the past here, you can't really see a pattern except that every year a Pixar film was released, it won [except Cars and Monsters, Inc]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff