Welcome to Gaia! ::

exclaim question how do people or the "academy' even vote for this thing? and when where do they do it? I heard that the average age of voters are like 60... so how are they boosting that number? This whole thing is weird. confused
Yea, the whole thing is b.s. I only take note of who's behind the sound components, cinematography, and costumes. There's only so much emptiness that can be in those categories (except for when "Dark Knight" was gyped for its year). But yea, there's gonna be bias in this thing. It's just a bunch of rich Hollywood, tanorexic, regular anorexic, fake nonsense. Lol

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't know a ton about this but Whoopi explained it really well on The View (can't find vid for this).

Apparently in order to be in the Academy (able to vote) one must be nominated OR invited in by another member. Since the awards started in 1928, most nominees were white males, and they would invite their white male friends to join. For a loooooong time it was mostly white men and a few white women added in. Hattie McDaniel was the first(?) black woman to win so in goes her vote and whomever she invited in (if allowed at that time). And so on.... people of colour and women were not the majority of nominees for a long time. It is only recently that more of them are nominated and therefore able to invite other people of colour or female gender to vote.

Still an old white male club. They'll die off soon, hopefully.

Obsessive Player

The great chocho
exclaim question how do people or the "academy' even vote for this thing? and when where do they do it? I heard that the average age of voters are like 60... so how are they boosting that number? This whole thing is weird. confused
Remeber --Oscar is 84!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces