Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Lunatic

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I can still remember seeing the first movie. My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time just thrilled by this whole murder, mystery thriller. I felt for the character of Lisbeth, I understood her need to be closed off and keep things hidden. My mind set myself with in the book and hoping for each character.

This is how it was watching the Swedish version though watching the American version I had a harder time keeping myself to pay attention.

When watching these to fills I took them as, they are two different films and nothing me. Doing that I caught things about the characters and saw how very different they all were.

Such as Lisbeth, in the 2009 version you have a feel she is more dangerous then in the 2011 movie. It may just been because the film has a darker take but I think it's because of everything more on her.

Like, let's go with a few things...In the 2009 version when she's will Mikael for the first time, she seems to be in control on the situation and in the 2011 Mikael seems to take control. I'm bringing this up because that's how it seems to go in the whole movie at that point in both. In the Swedish Version Lisbeth is the dominate person, leaving Mikael wondering and confused when she vanishes.

While in the American version Mikael (showing more towards Lisbeth's character in this one) just seems to stop contact and keep on the affair with Erika Berger. This leaving Lisbeth hurt and of course leading to cutting him out of her life.

As I've read from the information on the 'books' the American version is more spot onto the plot in that course but I'm still not excepting that. I guess to me the Swedish version is just the better feel for the characters.

Though that's just my opinion...What's yours? How do you feel about these movies, it's squeals or even the books?
I'm a huge fan of the book, though I have yet to read all of the Millenium series. I have read the first book, though. I couldn't make it through the Swedish version of the film....I don't know if I just tried to watch it at a bad time or what, but I found it to be extremely boring. I absolutely LOVED the American version but I'm also a big fan of David Fincher so that may explain why. Also, the characters were more or less the way that I pictured them while reading the book.
I haven't seen the Swedish film, but I absolutely loved the American version; I have no plans on watching the Swedish version because I feel like I'll end up nitpicking and comparing it to the version I saw first.

Thieving Exhibitionist

16,515 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Overstocked 200
I have only seen the swedish version. I didn't see the point of ******** seeing the remake.

Shameless Lunatic

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lady Stoneheart
I have only seen the swedish version. I didn't see the point of ******** seeing the remake.

Yes I said this at first but then I wound up 'fine I'll just waste the time' and found it was good but I'm still more for the swedish version.

Thieving Exhibitionist

16,515 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Overstocked 200
Creeper Alice
Lady Stoneheart

Yes I said this at first but then I wound up 'fine I'll just waste the time' and found it was good but I'm still more for the swedish version.

I didn't think I'd miss out on anything. But however, I would love to read the books since I've seen the movies.
I usually don't know these things are based off books. With Game of Thrones, I loved the show so much that when I found out about the books, I started reading them, falling deeply in love with the story. I think the books for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo wouldn't let me down at all and would enhance my love for the storyline.

Enduring Regular

Creeper Alice
Such as Lisbeth, in the 2009 version you have a feel she is more dangerous then in the 2011 movie. It may just been because the film has a darker take but I think it's because of everything more on her.
I think a lot of fans of Noomi's performance b***h about Rooney's performance, but I honestly felt Rooney was closer to the character from the book. Lisbeth is not really supposed to feel 'dangerous'. In fact, Armansky in the book describes her as the 'perfect victim' or some such. The dangerous side of her is supposed to be surprising to the unobservant, which is why Bjurman is unafraid of taking advantage of her in the beginning and why she's able to take Bjurman off guard when she takes her revenge on him.

Creeper Alice
Like, let's go with a few things...In the 2009 version when she's will Mikael for the first time, she seems to be in control on the situation and in the 2011 Mikael seems to take control. I'm bringing this up because that's how it seems to go in the whole movie at that point in both. In the Swedish Version Lisbeth is the dominate person, leaving Mikael wondering and confused when she vanishes.
Daniel Craig has such a strong presence, it definitely did give that appearance and I'd have to agree with your complaint here. Age/appearance wise he fits the part, but personality wise, it's a complete mismatch

Creeper Alice
While in the American version Mikael (showing more towards Lisbeth's character in this one) just seems to stop contact and keep on the affair with Erika Berger. This leaving Lisbeth hurt and of course leading to cutting him out of her life.

As I've read from the information on the 'books' the American version is more spot onto the plot in that course but I'm still not excepting that. I guess to me the Swedish version is just the better feel for the characters.
Except that is an important plot point to show that Lisbeth and Mikael have a falling out which leads into the next book.

Lady Stoneheart
It's another adaptation of the book, not really a remake of the Swedish version of the movie. You could argue it amounts to the same thing, but the fact is, the American move is a lot truer to the book than the Swedish version, and pulls more from the book, where as the Swedish version changed more aspects from the book to fit their budget/time frame/whatever else.

Shameless Lunatic

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Eltiana
Creeper Alice
I think a lot of fans of Noomi's performance b***h about Rooney's performance, but I honestly felt Rooney was closer to the character from the book. Lisbeth is not really supposed to feel 'dangerous'. In fact, Armansky in the book describes her as the 'perfect victim' or some such. The dangerous side of her is supposed to be surprising to the unobservant, which is why Bjurman is unafraid of taking advantage of her in the beginning and why she's able to take Bjurman off guard when she takes her revenge on him.

Creeper Alice
Daniel Craig has such a strong presence, it definitely did give that appearance and I'd have to agree with your complaint here. Age/appearance wise he fits the part, but personality wise, it's a complete mismatch

Creeper Alice

Except that is an important plot point to show that Lisbeth and Mikael have a falling out which leads into the next book.

Lady Stoneheart
It's another adaptation of the book, not really a remake of the Swedish version of the movie. You could argue it amounts to the same thing, but the fact is, the American move is a lot truer to the book than the Swedish version, and pulls more from the book, where as the Swedish version changed more aspects from the book to fit their budget/time frame/whatever else.

Yay I'm proud with this, you made me re-look over all this but then again I'm still sticking to a few things....

At least with all this maybe it will have a better view point then how the sequels played out in the swedish version. From the first they kind of go bland and you get kind of like why is this all taking place...Almost confused and yet not that confused to where you can't really follow what is going on.

Thieving Exhibitionist

16,515 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Overstocked 200
Eltiana
Creeper Alice

Creeper Alice

Creeper Alice

Lady Stoneheart

I see you didn't even notice my post about reading the book and how I'd rather read the book if I liked a movie than to see another remake.

Enduring Regular

Lady Stoneheart
I see you didn't even notice my post about reading the book and how I'd rather read the book if I liked a movie than to see another remake.
My point was, the American movie isn't a remake. Saying it's a remake implies it was made based on the Swedish movie, which it was not. It was adapted straight from the book and ignores the existence of the Swedish movie entirely.

Enduring Regular

Creeper Alice
Yay I'm proud with this, you made me re-look over all this but then again I'm still sticking to a few things....

At least with all this maybe it will have a better view point then how the sequels played out in the swedish version. From the first they kind of go bland and you get kind of like why is this all taking place...Almost confused and yet not that confused to where you can't really follow what is going on.
I haven't watched the Swedish version of the The Girl Who Played with Fire or The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, so I can't really comment on those, but as for the books, the events that occur in The Girl Who Played with Fire occur due to the combination of Bjurman looking to get revenge on Lisbeth, and two people who are writing for Millenium dig a little too deep and how that all spirals down into a huge governmental issue etc etc.

Thieving Exhibitionist

16,515 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Overstocked 200
Eltiana
Lady Stoneheart
My point was, the American movie isn't a remake. Saying it's a remake implies it was made based on the Swedish movie, which it was not. It was adapted straight from the book and ignores the existence of the Swedish movie entirely.
My point was that you missed entirely the fact that I prefer books to movies. Regardless of your opinion, I'm reading the books. The books the movies are made from.

Enduring Regular

Lady Stoneheart
My point was that you missed entirely the fact that I prefer books to movies. Regardless of your opinion, I'm reading the books. The books the movies are made from.
That has nothing to do with my point lol. I was correcting your word usage. It should be 'adaptation' not 'remake'. I thought my last post made that clear, but apparently not.

Profitable Prophet

Eltiana

Agree. Noomi Rapace was tall and muscular. She looked like she could kick your a**.
Rooney is closer to the book description of Lisbeth, in terms of looks and attitude. Rooney's Lisbeth had emotional depth and vulnerability - things Noomi's Lisbeth lacked.

Creeper Alice

How can you conclude that the Swedish version has a better feel of the characters when you haven't even read the book? Reading the book would give you a better understanding of the characters.

My biggest issue with the Swedish version was that they made Mikael useless. Mikael was the one who figured out the meaning of the Bible names, a huge revelation in the mystery case.
In the Swedish version, they made it so Lisbeth figures it out instead(despite the fact that Lisbeth has no familiarity with religious information).

Also Blomkvist and Lisbeth had more of a relationship in the American version. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace had no chemistry.

Sirrus_Myst's Widow

Liberal Goat

45,150 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Clambake 200
Here's my input, coming from someone who read the books first, then watched the movies:

I truly expected the American version to be completely wrong and I was pleasantly surprised at how it was full of things I had forgotten in the book. I found myself going "oh ya! I forgot about that" quite often.

Now I did love how the characters in the Swedish version looked rugged. The Americans of course looked way too "Hollywood."

Now the Swedish version did get the story-line across without lots of extras, but when it comes to books to movies sometimes the devil is in the details. So the American wins that.

Swedish wins for Lisbeth's tattoo though. In my opinion the American tattoo was just way too small!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff