Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Conventioneer

10,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
I saw it on Christmas Day (the 2011 version). To put it simply, "good" in my mind is a subjective word. Is the movie worth seeing? Yes and no. I'm not one to get squeemish but this movie made me rather uncomfortable at points (there are two VERY graphic rape scenes during the movie that I felt could have been shortened - they really weren't necessary to that detail).
However, the point the movie makes towards/at the end is quite interesting and that alone was topic for conversation.

[Spoiler point: The killer in the movie makes the point that he never threatened his victims - they went willingly. The fear of offending someone is greater than the fear of dying.
Another, was that not everyone will be happy in the end.
]

To the second point, I loved how it was anticipated, but realistic.
I thought it was all worth it. But there is brutal scenes, so beware!

Enduring Regular

YoukaiTori
I'm not one to get squeemish but this movie made me rather uncomfortable at points (there are two VERY graphic rape scenes during the movie that I felt could have been shortened - they really weren't necessary to that detail).
I disagree. I think it was important to show how graphic Bjurman's rape of Lisbeth was, so we can understand why she retaliates the way she does, which is equally graphic. This in turn leads to events in the next book where Bjurman plots against Lisbeth, which spirals into the main story. Had they not been as graphic with Lisbeth getting raped, they would, in turn, need to tone down her revenge scene which not only acts as reason for Bjurman to plot revenge, but her revenge scene really acts a way to really show the viewer the kind of character Lisbeth is. It would really weaken the tone of the movie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games