<3 </3
  Argo

Seen Argo?

Yes 0.41379310344828 41.4% [ 12 ]
No 0.58620689655172 58.6% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 29 ]
1 2 >

O.G. Nerd

So I finally saw Argo the other night, after wanting to see it since it came out in theatres.

Anyone have any opinions? Love it? Hate it?

No one else I know has seen it, or even wanted to see it, and I've been aching to talk about it heart

O.G. Nerd

Thank you!

I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one irritated with how they handled the historical accuracy of the film.

I really did get pissed that they did put more of the credit on the United States when their plan could have never been accomplished without the Canadian government.

4,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
petitefeet
Thank you!

I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one irritated with how they handled the historical accuracy of the film.

I really did get pissed that they did put more of the credit on the United States when their plan could have never been accomplished without the Canadian government.

They were plenty, especially those on the north that were thoroughly impressed with the movie, but are completely angry at how this movie portrays how Canada had done, which apparently this movie states that Canada's government did absolutely nothing, while the US did all of the planning, did all of the rescuing all by themselves, while the Canadians that were present in the movie were treated as nothing more than messengers and 2nd rate background guys that did nothing. I watched a new coverage on what those who were there thought of the movie, at how the CIA was just a junior partner, in the movie, they were portrayed as the "TRUE HEROES" which while that's true, it couldn't have been done without the risky plan that Ken Taylor made. Ben Affleck said that he wanted this side the American side to be explained without ever stepping into mines. But however, that in itself was a mine, since the whole entire movie was a big piece of lying sack of garbage. Making the true heroes look like background guys.

Not only that, the last statement in the last segment of the movie with the lame "Thank you Canada"? I'm sorry, Ben Affleck, you just truly insulted the men and women that worked around the clock trying to save those hostages. Sorry for the long post, but this movie completely grinds my gear, as a Canadian. This is a feel good moment for Americans, especially those who doesn't even bother looking it up.

If anyone here still thinks I'm being biased? Then lemme quote what your former President Jimmy Carter said.

Quote:
"Ninety percent of the contribution to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian and the movie gives almost full credit to the American CIA," he said.

This movie deserves to have an award on at least Action Sequences, but when it comes to writing, this deserves to be the best propaganda movie I've ever seen.

Shirtless Wrangler

10,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
I agree, that closing scene was APPALLING. To suggest that Canada deserves no credit, despite their very dedicated involvement to keeping those people alive. To claim Canada was just taking the credit to cover for the US is untrue and really offensive towards Canadians.

Not to mention the Canadian who spotted the passport error made by the CIA, that would have gotten the group killed at the airport. Hr

Sure, it was an entertaining film but, unfortunately.. so many people get their history that Hollywood that this will be the 'true' story to so many.. that Canada kinda helped a little. Really disheartening.

I'm relieved to see people here who actually read into the event.
I liked it a lot!

O.G. Nerd

Forgotten_Faith

I am all about looking into the facts when it comes to movies. I hear "based on a true story" and I usually do research, sometimes obsessively, until I am satisfied.

I just wish more people would do the same.

Shirtless Wrangler

10,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
petitefeet
Forgotten_Faith

I am all about looking into the facts when it comes to movies. I hear "based on a true story" and I usually do research, sometimes obsessively, until I am satisfied.

I just wish more people would do the same.

I am the same, I tear stuff apart when I hear its based on the truth.

4,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
I generally get very suspicious whenever something comes out based off the True Story, especially when it comes from Hollywood. I watched it in DVD, and the beginning was ok, then it started downhill from there, few things were right, a ton of s**t that were sooo hollywood. And this movie was no exception. Unsurprisingly, I figured they would something stupid, but never would I imagine on how much disrespect Hollywood has over Canada as a country, with the whole "US is the only country that exists" look.

I do heavy research on this topic ever since Tom Brokaw mentioned way back in the Vancouver Olympics happened about Canada being there when the Iranian hostage takeover happened. Then, looked at it again, when I watched the movie afterwards.

Thank god it didn't win Best Supporting Actor.

Shirtless Wrangler

10,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
Aria_Knight_Lyrac
I generally get very suspicious whenever something comes out based off the True Story, especially when it comes from Hollywood. I watched it in DVD, and the beginning was ok, then it started downhill from there, few things were right, a ton of s**t that were sooo hollywood. And this movie was no exception. Unsurprisingly, I figured they would something stupid, but never would I imagine on how much disrespect Hollywood has over Canada as a country, with the whole "US is the only country that exists" look.

I do heavy research on this topic ever since Tom Brokaw mentioned way back in the Vancouver Olympics happened about Canada being there when the Iranian hostage takeover happened. Then, looked at it again, when I watched the movie afterwards.

If it wins best picture, I'm going to rage quit the oscars.. even though that'll be the end.

4,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
Forgotten_Faith
Aria_Knight_Lyrac

If it wins best picture, I'm going to rage quit the oscars.. even though that'll be the end.

If it wins anything in the Oscars I'm not just going to laugh, I'm going to laugh at the Oscars for being biased at how stupid they are. And never watch any Oscars ever again due to that one sole purpose.

O.G. Nerd

It really won? I can't say I'm surprised. Gotta award the movies that make 'Merica look good.

I'm really disappointed.
Let me just point out that the US CIA kept their involvement in the Iran hostage rescue top secret, thus Canada getting the full acknowledgement and thanks from the United States citizens.

Argo was not denying Canada's help in the successful operation, but the film was definitely showing how the plan came to play through the American side.

Those who are familiar with the hostage situation in Iran would know the full story, so like all movies, it was created in expecting people to either A) watch it knowing what happens or B) watch it for entertainment. I watched it for entertainment, and then returned home looking for insight and trying to find what was really true. Thus how I came to the understanding that the rescue was kept secret for 20 years.

From what I know, the real Tony Mendez said the movie was actually very true on the side of the American's involvement except for how many children he actually had at that time.

And hey...if Canadians are truly that upset over their "dismissal" from this movie, then why not make the all encompassing true story? :/

Liberal Explorer

Ryoko Olivier Curtis
Let me just point out that the US CIA kept their involvement in the Iran hostage rescue top secret, thus Canada getting the full acknowledgement and thanks from the United States citizens.

Argo was not denying Canada's help in the successful operation, but the film was definitely showing how the plan came to play through the American side.

Those who are familiar with the hostage situation in Iran would know the full story, so like all movies, it was created in expecting people to either A) watch it knowing what happens or B) watch it for entertainment. I watched it for entertainment, and then returned home looking for insight and trying to find what was really true. Thus how I came to the understanding that the rescue was kept secret for 20 years.

From what I know, the real Tony Mendez said the movie was actually very true on the side of the American's involvement except for how many children he actually had at that time.

And hey...if Canadians are truly that upset over their "dismissal" from this movie, then why not make the all encompassing true story? :/

I agree with your points. From an entertainment point of view, you can not deny that this movie fulfills what it set out to do - be entertainment and tell you a story. I kind of differ in other people's thinking in that I believe the USA didn't look that great... we put our own people in that situation and had to get them out... we had to cover our previous mistakes. Canada took great risks and I personally gathered that from the movie. I think that you read into things what you want to. If Canada didn't get the recognition it deserved in this film, then they should definitely make their own version. There's no way the USA would have been able to do it without Canada's help. I didn't think Argo made it out to be any different. confused Just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff