Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trash Model

16,325 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Black Friday Ruler 25
akiflower13
I don't get why any of Myizaki's films never get nominated.
I think Pixar has ruined alot of animation. I miss all the 2D films.

I'm thinking Arriety will be up for next year's Oscars. I think it's timing was just a little to late (though I don't know when it was released in Japan so I don't know how that effects which year it could be counted for).

And Pixar didn't ruin it. It was the other companies seeing Pixar's success and saying "we need to do THAT if we want to get butts in seats"...and even Disney was dumb enough to have that same mindset and kill their 2D animation department...until Lasseter left Pixar and went to Disney and was like "guys we need to do hand animated films at Disney and leave the CGI to Pixar" and gave us the magic of The Princess and The Frog and Winnie the Pooh.

Naughty Moonwalker

Ceaen
akiflower13

I'm thinking Arriety will be up for next year's Oscars. I think it's timing was just a little to late (though I don't know when it was released in Japan so I don't know how that effects which year it could be counted for).

And Pixar didn't ruin it. It was the other companies seeing Pixar's success and saying "we need to do THAT if we want to get butts in seats"...and even Disney was dumb enough to have that same mindset and kill their 2D animation department...until Lasseter left Pixar and went to Disney and was like "guys we need to do hand animated films at Disney and leave the CGI to Pixar" and gave us the magic of The Princess and The Frog and Winnie the Pooh.

I want to see Arriety. It looks so good. Did Miyazaki do it or did his son? His son did Tales from Earth Sea. It was really good too.

I was so happy when The Princess and the Frog came out. The only place Winnie the pooh should be 3D is in Kingdom Hearts. Kids nowdays don't even get the roots of animation anymore. Most have never even seen Steamboat Willy. It's sad to see that 2D in america is becoming a dying art.

Trash Model

16,325 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Black Friday Ruler 25
akiflower13
Ceaen
akiflower13

I want to see Arriety. It looks so good. Did Miyazaki do it or did his son? His son did Tales from Earth Sea. It was really good too.

I was so happy when The Princess and the Frog came out. The only place Winnie the pooh should be 3D is in Kingdom Hearts. Kids nowdays don't even get the roots of animation anymore. Most have never even seen Steamboat Willy. It's sad to see that 2D in america is becoming a dying art.

I have no clue if it was Miyazaki or his son. I want to go see it though, it looks wonderful. And I've never heard of Tales from Earth Sea, I'll have to look it up.

Winnie the Pooh was 2D...and beautifully done. And it was really old-school in that the lines weren't even inked, you could still see the sketchiness of the line (but not as much as in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh).
I know, and most of the 2D animation kids are seeing now are crappy Flash animated cartoons. On facebook I was just having a conversation with someone about how sad it is that the Abilify commercials have better animation than most current cartoons.
And I can really tell that it's a dying artform; my college has an animation major and most of the classes are CGI and Flash-based. Though they do have some 2D hand-drawn courses and even a few stop-motion ones.

And I think there are THREE stop motion films coming out this year (or early 2013; I don't remember the release dates). One from Tim Burton, one from the studio that did Coraline, and a claymation from the studio that did Wallace and Grommit.

Naughty Moonwalker

Ceaen

I have no clue if it was Miyazaki or his son. I want to go see it though, it looks wonderful. And I've never heard of Tales from Earth Sea, I'll have to look it up.

Winnie the Pooh was 2D...and beautifully done. And it was really old-school in that the lines weren't even inked, you could still see the sketchiness of the line (but not as much as in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh).
I know, and most of the 2D animation kids are seeing now are crappy Flash animated cartoons. On facebook I was just having a conversation with someone about how sad it is that the Abilify commercials have better animation than most current cartoons.
And I can really tell that it's a dying artform; my college has an animation major and most of the classes are CGI and Flash-based. Though they do have some 2D hand-drawn courses and even a few stop-motion ones.

And I think there are THREE stop motion films coming out this year (or early 2013; I don't remember the release dates). One from Tim Burton, one from the studio that did Coraline, and a claymation from the studio that did Wallace and Grommit.

I hadn't heard of it either until I watched. It's a lot darker then what Studio Ghibli usually does.

I must see it now. I watched The lion King and Aladdin yesterday. It's sad that everything has gone to CGI and flash.
It's true though. THose commercials are the only bit of old school animation you see anymore.
Same at the college I went to. The only reason we had the 2D courses was because it led to the wire frames and the CGI.

Tim Burton's films always amaze me. HE does all kinds of animation.
Claymation is going out too. You rarely see that anymore as well, and there is so much work involved in it, but the main thing is your loosing the good storyines to the animation. I'd rather have 2D graphics and indepth characters, and a good storyline than pretty graphics.

Enduring Elocutionist

For those discussing Arrietty and whether it was done by Miyazaki or his son, I can say right now that it was obviously Hayao. After watching Tales of Earthsea, you can really notice the differences between them. Where Arrietty was enchanting, well-paced, and wonderfully executed in terms of storytelling; Tales was darker, somewhat vague, dragging in some parts, and a clear sign that "like father, like son" might not apply to the Miyazaki family.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
akiflower13

Um Spirited Away was nominated, and won the best animated Oscar in 2002. Howl's Moving Castle was nominated in 2005 (and lost to Wallace and Gromit).

Miyazaki does get nominated, and has won. I think the only other Miyazaki made since the best animated catagory was introduced in 2001, was Ponyo (not nominated).

Trash Model

16,325 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Black Friday Ruler 25
akiflower13

I must see it now. I watched The lion King and Aladdin yesterday.

I just got The Lion King on blu-ray a couple days ago. I'm about to pop it in and watch the bonus material.

Also, The Princess and The Frog has an amazing bonus feature where you can watch the in-progess pencil animation alongside the final film (excluding the Almost There song sequence which only had the storyboard since that sequence was done digitally and had no pencil drawn animation)

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Ceaen

Yeah. If anyone is curious. They are The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists (by Aardman Animations) coming out in March in the UK, April in the US. ParaNorman (by Laika) in August. Frankenweenie (Tim Burton) out in October.

Naughty Moonwalker

Lunarflowermaiden
akiflower13

Um Spirited Away was nominated, and won the best animated Oscar in 2002. Howl's Moving Castle was nominated in 2005 (and lost to Wallace and Gromit).

Miyazaki does get nominated, and has won. I think the only other Miyazaki made since the best animated catagory was introduced in 2001, was Ponyo (not nominated).

I meant this year sweetie. ^_^
There is also Tales of Earth Sea.
I think Arriety came out to late.

Naughty Moonwalker

Ceaen
akiflower13

I must see it now. I watched The lion King and Aladdin yesterday.

I just got The Lion King on blu-ray a couple days ago. I'm about to pop it in and watch the bonus material.

Also, The Princess and The Frog has an amazing bonus feature where you can watch the in-progess pencil animation alongside the final film (excluding the Almost There song sequence which only had the storyboard since that sequence was done digitally and had no pencil drawn animation)

That is awesome. I love all that stuff.
I do
think Myizaki will
be up for next year
and with Brave coming out
and from the Ads, it looks
WOW....

Ghostly Hunter

This year was a bit disappointing, but I agree, it does seems like next year there will be a lot of competition with animated movies.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
akiflower13
Lunarflowermaiden
akiflower13

I meant this year sweetie. ^_^
There is also Tales of Earth Sea.
I think Arriety came out to late.

Well you said you didn't get why any of his films never get nominated, but they do (yes, just not this year).

I thought Tales of Earthsea was by his son?

Yes, Arrietty came out too late. To be nominated, it would have had to have come out (In the US) before the nominations were in. But it could still get nominated next year.

Hygienic Bloodsucker

8,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lapinporokoira
I've taken a look at the choices for Animated Movie and frankly I'm not impressed. None of them have that quality about them that makes them real contenders.

Do you think animated movies would ever excel? And do you think we will ever get an animated movie worthy of making the Best film list? (If the Academy fella's will even allow)

Pixar movies are usually really good, but Cars 2 was just a a bunch of bogus. Just a scam to make more new merchandise because Cars had the best best toy sales. I didn't even like the first one too much.

Naughty Moonwalker

Lunarflowermaiden

Well you said you didn't get why any of his films never get nominated, but they do (yes, just not this year).

I thought Tales of Earthsea was by his son?

Yes, Arrietty came out too late. To be nominated, it would have had to have come out (In the US) before the nominations were in. But it could still get nominated next year.

I just need to word my stuff better. It sounded right in my head.

It was but still studio Ghibli.

I hope it does. This latest stuff has not been up to my standards.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff