Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
User ImageUser Image
My grandma gave me this fabric which she ended up with through a friend. I love it, but I have no Idea what I should do with it.
The one piece is 2.2 m the other about 2.8 m. Its pretty thin but not see-through . I'm not sure of the material, but it feels kinda slippery, and its shiny.
I'm know the intended purpose of this is to use it for a sari, but I don't need one of those. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. biggrin

Dapper Gaian

A dress, or a skirt thing for swimwear....don't remember the name lol, maybe even a pillow.

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Keep it for Halloween and wear it for a costume? Wear it to a formal occasion to make an impression? You most certainly DO NOT want to cut it up, especially if it turns out to be silk (which fits the shiny/slippery description). Either keep it whole or sell it but do not scrap it under any circumstance! You could end up accidentally destroying something worth between $100-$500.

Rainbow Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
xena91388
Keep it for Halloween and wear it for a costume? Wear it to a formal occasion to make an impression? You most certainly DO NOT want to cut it up, especially if it turns out to be silk (which fits the shiny/slippery description). Either keep it whole or sell it but do not scrap it under any circumstance! You could end up accidentally destroying something worth between $100-$500.

based on the other stuff that was with this material when i got it I don't think it would be that valuable. Then again, sometimes great things are in unlikely places I guess.
Maybe I should find someone who could tell me what it actually is.
oh. my. goddess.

You have Sari Fabric.

wear it as a sarong for a day (or at least a little while) if it gets a very odd "stink" it's polyester.

if it doesn't it's probably silk.

That said, in any way shape or form it is stunning beautiful.

If I had it, I would most likely make it into a long vest that i could wear (polyester or silk this is what would happen)

Fabric may be worth $500, but if it's not being worn, used or anything it's not worth anything at all.

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Use it as a sarong during a hot day?

Or you could use it uncut as a shawl. It would look lovely as protection against the heat or on a cool autumn day. heart

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
I'm thinking of the cover thing for a bikini bottom, or you could send it to me. LOL. I agree with you, it is an amazing fabric, but I'm not sure what it would be used for.

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
I make pillow cases and quilts with leftover fabric .

Dapper Mage

7,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Brandisher 100
I, personally wouldn't cut it, simply because I adore fabrics like this. You could go with the flow, and use it as sarong. Or just search for searches for simple no sew dresses or skirts, then if you change your mind later you'll still have it in one piece.
I know the general consensus is you shouldn't cut it up, but I think it would look pretty as a wrap dress. I do like the shawl idea as well though

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
If I had this fabric I'd make a wrap skirt out of it, with a second, slightly longer layer underneath peaking out.

High-functioning Smoker

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Have you done anything with it yet? I would probably turn it into balloon pants. Post pictures when you are finished creating something!

Rainbow Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Smooshles
Have you done anything with it yet? I would probably turn it into balloon pants. Post pictures when you are finished creating something!

No I haven't. I've been too busy with school to do any sewing.

High-functioning Smoker

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Flis
Smooshles

:/ Same over here, I have half -finished projects lying around my room.

Rainbow Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Smooshles
Flis
Smooshles

:/ Same over here, I have half -finished projects lying around my room.

Ya, I bought a better sewing machine at the end of the summer, and I've only made a bow tie with it! I hope I can make something over christmas, and I should have a better course load next term.
Or maybe I'll drop out of school to become a seamstress :p

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces