Welcome to Gaia! ::

hey knitters and crocheters im on a quest for the best of the best yarns out there. i want to know what your favorite yarns are and why?

Expansionist's Significant Otter

Green Fairy

The perfect yarn is different for different projects.
I love Red Heart for making kitchen items and baby stuff that is going to be washed a lot but doesn't come into contact with the baby's skin, like booties.
I love LionBrand's Homespun for making scarves because it's so soft and I like the way the colors mix in the finished project.
I bought some Bernat Softee Baby that I think will be a joy to work with and I think it will make a wonderful baby touque. I just need to get the right size circular needles for the pattern.
I've also used some recycled wool that was perfect for the shawl that I made with it.

What project are you planning?
hmmm i donno yet sweatdrop . i know i want something that will be soft, and inexpensive. i think that i want to make a throw. (like i need to start another project right now!)

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
The masochist in me can't stop buying eyelash and other furry-type yarns (on sale, of course - I put myself through knitting it, why should I also pay full price?).

For something as big as a throw, I'd probably pick a yarn that's multicolored above all else, so that I whou;dn't become bored with it. But I guess it's best to think about how much you want to pay for yarn, what you want the stuff to feel like, and how much difficulty you're willing to put up with for an extended period of time.
My favorite yarn was sensations angelhair. it's put out by JoAnne fabrics, runs around $5 a skane, and is a supersoft mohair blend. I love working with it; the textures and colors are wonderful.
For inexpensive, I like Red-Heart brand yarn. Their colors are nice and their yarn is food quality.

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Caron brand Simply Soft, is in my opinion, one of the best yarns it is. its inexpensive (around $3 a skien), comes in alot of colors, feels great, and easily found. I buy it at the local micheals, but you can also order it (shipping free!) off the caron website.

Expansionist's Significant Otter

Green Fairy

I second Caron Simply Soft for a throw. We just bought some for $2 US for a skein at Walmart. Red Heart might be good, but it takes a few good washings for it to loose that scratchy feel.

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
ForestGreen
I second Caron Simply Soft for a throw. We just bought some for $2 US for a skein at Walmart. Red Heart might be good, but it takes a few good washings for it to loose that scratchy feel.
If Red Heart Classic is findable (i can't find it anymore) it feels better then normal red heart, and it has a nice sheen to it. Though simply soft is still better if you ask me.
Hmm... I love the mainstays yarns. Its cheap but not quite as cheap as red heart supersavers (also one of my favorites). if your willing to pay a little more however, a good yarn is lion brand homespun. its very soft and has a very little bit of luster depending on how your work it up.
Hmmm... lots of yarn. brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "So much yarn so little time." oh wait that was always true. sweatdrop
Oh well yarn to you all and good knitting!!(and/or crochet if that is what you do! )
Im a fan of nice, high quality wool with really good dyes. I love the feel and just how...good it is. its hard to find. I did find some merino wool the other days, at a meijers of all places. expensive, though. Im not a fan of cheap yarn...though I did find one hell of a yarn for pretty cheap, 1.30 a skein and Im in love with it, despite my otherwise expensive taste. In a skein its not all that cool but it knits up really, really well with a sheen to it and a reaaly nice softness while being clear so you can really see the stitches (which I like, for some reason). Cant remember what it is, though....*searches for it*
Mikono
Caron brand Simply Soft, is in my opinion, one of the best yarns it is. its inexpensive (around $3 a skien), comes in alot of colors, feels great, and easily found. I buy it at the local micheals, but you can also order it (shipping free!) off the caron website.

I agree! I use Simply Soft a lot when I knit and crochet. The main reason I picked it up was it is really cheap, but it is a nice yarn. Nice and soft (like the name implies)
I personally veer away from he acrylics when I can, since if they get stretched, they stay that way, unlike wool that you can get wet and have it come back into shape (for the most part). So, my favorite source of cheap wool has got to be http://www.knitpicks.com, they've got all the weights that I could want, plenty of colors, and at the amounts I usually order (yay for spending all your money on yarn!) free shipping. Only downside, they don't do paypal, so you have to have a credit card to order.
I have bought 3 hanks of dying wool from knit picks it worked up wonderfully it felts well too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff