Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

visitors

+1 1 100.0% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]

Hello visitors! My friend gave his sculpey clay to me since he didn't want it anymore. Since I don't want it to go to waste I looked up some ideas and saw some cute food charms. I want to make some personal ones and was wondering if you could help me?

Materials I already have:
polymer clay
glaze
acrylic paints
synthetic brushes
toaster oven

Questions and concerns:
question When do you apply the paint.. before or after the baking? ( I know that the glaze should be applied at the end)
question Where can I get the materials for the charms? ( i.e. keychain lobster clasp, eye pins, cellphone straps, miniature clear cups/bowls)
question Can the clay be baked on top of wax paper?
question How do you get the shiny transparent goo look? (syrup example, meat example)
question Will the glaze crack?

Any tips or other advice you could give? biggrin

Friendly Camper

14,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Cruentus Crux

1) some paints allow you to put the paint on first and some after, just depends.
2) any local craft store should have them. I.e. Wal-Mart, Michaels..
3) I don't see why not.
4) I believe that's a glaze. again, it depends on the products you look at and where.
5) glaze is made not to crack unless specified.

I don't do a lot of clay crafting myself but I think this is enough to atleast get you started if you haven't already.

TIP: Always read directions on the bottles of paints and glazes. *learned this the hard way*
I would paint after baking if using sculpey. I've never actually tried painting before baking, but it just seems easier to paint something more solid.

I don't think wax paper is needed, baking directly on a cookie sheet or glass baking pan works fine for me. Also, if you're sculpting something larger, you might want to lean your sculpture on a oven safe mug to make sure it doesn't keel over, just to be safe.
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. biggrin I will be heading to a nearby walmart to get more supplies before I start. ^^

Original Lunatic

Don't put wax paper in the oven. It's paper... coated in wax. Wax melts when it gets hot... and you are going to have a huge mess on your hands trying to get the sculpey off the paper and the paper off whatever pan you use. If anything, protect your pans with aluminum foil OR make sure you never use that pan for cooking again.
Ok wax paper is out! I found an old pan at a thrift store. whee still need to buy the pins and clasps now. The places around here don't sell them in a large bulk.. Might have to get then online.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff