Welcome to Gaia! ::

Brainy Senshi

12,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
Hello my fellow crafty Gaians! I have recently decided to attend a steampunk themed masquerade event. Being the crafty individual that I am, I've decided to make my own mask.

I used a cheap-o blank plastic mask similar to this one and just layered about six or seven layers of paper mache onto it. Then I took the Dremel to it to get rid of any major imperfections. Now I'm in the process of sanding it by hand with a fine grit sandpaper. Eventually, I'll be sealing it with a clear satin varnish then painting and decorating it to match my black and gold themed steampunk outfit.

There's just one problem; I can't seem to even this thing out no matter how much I sand it! If anyone has worked with paper mache before and has any tips on how to get a smooth, finished look, please share! I can see that the bumps and ridges are gradually disappearing but I'm afraid if I sand it too much there won't be any mask left to decorate. gonk

emotion_bigheart ~Aki

Man-Hungry Consumer

Paper Mache will continue to have bumps in it because of air pockets when drying. I suggest getting some plaster from like a home store like lowes, wal-mart, or home depot for cheap and doing small layers over where its just not smoothing out. Then let is dry and gently sand it to correspond with your paper mache that is sanded perfectly.

Brainy Senshi

12,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
AshtonsBoutique
Paper Mache will continue to have bumps in it because of air pockets when drying. I suggest getting some plaster from like a home store like lowes, wal-mart, or home depot for cheap and doing small layers over where its just not smoothing out. Then let is dry and gently sand it to correspond with your paper mache that is sanded perfectly.

Thanks so much. This has helped a ton and I think I'm finally ready to seal decorate this thing smile

Man-Hungry Consumer

ArchangelAki-chan
AshtonsBoutique

Thanks so much. This has helped a ton and I think I'm finally ready to seal decorate this thing smile

I am glad my advice has helped you out! Have fun with your mask!
Post a pic when it's done? biggrin

Brainy Senshi

12,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
Glamour Nazi
Post a pic when it's done? biggrin

Absolutely!!! Should be done in a day or two. Gotta make a trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up some steampunk themed decorations 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff