Welcome to Gaia! ::

My favorite hobby currently is restoring My Child dolls from the 1980s, and that includes sewing clothes for them. mrgreen Problem is, they're a bit of an odd size, so I find myself cutting down patterns from eighteen inch Americal Girl clothes patterns to fit.

Does anyone else do this kind of thing? I mean, I've gotten my hands on a few patterns that do work, and well, I just kind of use tracing paper to adapt bigger patterns. Any suggestions to make this easier?
I used to have a book that had patterns for all kinds of dolls clothes and in all different sizes. Wish I could remember what it was called so I could pass it on to ya. It would be worth looking in your local book store though as there are some around.

I used to do it when I was younger but now I've moved on to full size clothes. It great fun though and a great way to learn about garment construction without using a whole lot of fabric.
Oh, I started on full-sized clothes. smile I've been sewing forever, and in dressing dolls, I've finally found a way to use up all those bits of fabric that were too big to throw away, but too small to make more clothes out of.
try putting muslin onto the doll and tracing all of the seams. going around the armhole and necklines. after which add the seamallowances and make the pattern.

Expansionist's Significant Otter

Green Fairy

Have you checked online for a fan base for the doll? I found some neat patterns for one type of doll in a web ring focused on that particular doll. Have you tried the library for patterns books? Just trying to brainstorm ideas for you.
I've got a few patterns that some enterprising person made from the original clothes. So far, my solution is to trace the too-big pattern, then trace the smaller pattern over top of it and make a combo of the two...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff