Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am a youth services librarian and I was putting up the "I love Yarn" display. Lots of our books are out, but I found a few things. One of the kid's books was "Yarn Corkers" which reminded me of a knitting thing one of my colleagues was using. A knitting loom. I thought that looked like a fairly kid-friendly craft.

However, there aren't any kid-friendly books, as far as I can tell.

Do you know of any books that might be suitable? Or is this not a good craft for kids?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Knitting and spool-knitting are generally safe for well-behaved kids - but they've got to be the type who don't need instant gratification. Knitting takes a lot of patience. It's not necessarily hard to learn (or so they tell me, it took me forever to figure it out), but a small project can take four hours easily, especially for beginners.

I found a few books for kids online. I haven't read any of them, so I don't know if they're any good or not, but they all have bright, appealing covers, so thats a plus. XD Anyway, here they are:

- "Corking" by Judy Ann Sadler, is a spool knitting book with some finger puppets and similar projects for kids 6+.

- "Kids Knitting" by Melanie Falick, which seems to be standard knitting instructions for kids, probably 10+.

- "Kids Knit!" by Sarah Bradberry, another standard knitting book. Apparently this one has 20 different projects. It's listed for "Grade 5-8", but a reviewer on Amazon said they used it to teach 1st and 2nd graders how to knit.

Regarding age guides... If kids live in knitting families they can start younger. I've bumped into people who taught their kids to knit before they learned how to read. On the other hand, kids who simply have a personal interest in knitting might start later or slower. Ultimately I guess they'll check out the book that appeals to them the most, whether or not they're ready to tackle it. But these look like pretty good starting points.
Somebody must be interested in knitting and/or crocheting. Most of our books are now out.

I remember having a corking tool when I was a kid. Didn't know what it was called but it was fun and easy. Seemed to me that it would be easier than regular knitting or crocheting.

Somebody needs to write a nice book on loom knitting for kids.

(I have a rather long list of books people need to write.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff