Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unsealed Sentai

20,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
  • Partygoer 500
So, I bought some color changing TARDIS pint glasses from ThinkGeek, but the decals on them come off way too easy. So we got a replacement set (for free) and I coated them in this stuff:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/clear-acrylic-high-gloss-sealer-706994/

So now the question is, are they safe to drink from? The entire outside is coated in the stuff. It says it's a permanent, waterproof coating, so I've no reason to believe it'd be a problem, but I can't find anything on the internet to confirm or deny this reasoning.

So help?

Original Lunatic

Unless it says "Food Safe" or something that refers to it being used for food like "Dishwasher Safe" I wouldn't chance it. In the symbol area of the label it should have a triangle with a wine glass and a fork or knife in it (I can't remember which one.).

Also, it says "water-resistant" not "water-proof", there's a difference. "Resistant" and "proof" is the difference between splashing your cell phone with water and full on submerging it in a tub for 20 minutes. "resistant" means a little water every so often is okay. "proof" means it can stay submerged and not be harmed.

The only gloss I know that's food-safe is Decopatch Aquapro.

If there's any way to remove the gloss you applied from the rim where you'll be putting your lips (from the top and like, an inch down at least.) then you could do that and just be really careful with them. I absolutely would not put that stuff in my mouth though. I know from personal experience that the Tree House Studio sprays are pretty shitty and flake off and get sticky.

Oh, and by the way, you'll probably never find any color-changing cups that DON'T flake off. I took care of my TARDIS coffee mug like a baby (I wouldn't even scrub or touch the outside. Just rinse it off with warm water) and all the fun color changing parts flaked off anyway.

Unsealed Sentai

20,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
  • Partygoer 500
Albino Sea Monkey
Ah. Well that's disappointing. Thank you for letting me know.

Actually, do you think it would be safe to take the Decopatch Aquapro to it and cover it in that? That way, there's a layer over the gloss I used.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff