Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a pair of ballet flats. A little puppy we had chewed on one of them so now I don't wear them because you can see the bite marks. The damage wasn't too bad, just some little punctures on the surface. I was wondering if there was something I could do to repair or at the very least cloak the damage. I thought about using mod podge and a relatively stretchy fabric to cover the shoes, but I'm not sure how well that would work on the type of shoes that they are. Maybe it would be better to sew new material on? Throw glitter at them?

Anyway, they're similar to these. In black.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I haven't tried mod podge before, so I'm kind of assuming if I tried to glue material down on foldable flats it wouldn't work so well, but maybe it could keep glitter on?
I want to try and salvage them before I just give them up.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
*So, after looking around I heard mod podge kind of sucks (especially if it gets wet.) What could I use if I decide to go with glitter on the shoes? Or could I use mod podge then seal with a waterproof spray?
oh geez, i tried modge podging my boots on a whim-- i missed the memo that it wasn't waterproof. You can guess what they looked like in the rain--luckily it all came off..

I'm curious if some one will post in here how to make modge podge work. I'd love to learn too.

Could you put a ribbon or bow or something like that on the damaged spot? Which area is damaged?
Indi-Lei
oh geez, i tried modge podging my boots on a whim-- i missed the memo that it wasn't waterproof. You can guess what they looked like in the rain--luckily it all came off..

I'm curious if some one will post in here how to make modge podge work. I'd love to learn too.

Could you put a ribbon or bow or something like that on the damaged spot? Which area is damaged?

Yeah, I'd like to hear feedback on the mod podge idea. I wouldn't mind using it if I had to get waterproofing spray too. I think I'd use the waterproofing stuff quite a bit.
That might work, actually. I think I'd have to go with ruffles though, 'cause the most of the damage was just all over the toe area from what I saw. I was kind of hoping to change the color from black to blue-enough with all-over coverage, but keeping them black would be alright. Maybe I could go with a flower petal effect, like this? That'd be pretty cute. I'll have to see if I have tough enough glue around. If I could avoid sewing, that would be good. I'm not that great at hand-sewing and I've never done it on a shoe before.
There were some marks on the sides, though. Maybe I could color those in somehow, like dye them..? The bite marks pulled back some of the black coloring so you can see the beige underneath. I don't think I'd want to try using a sharpie on them.
Umpenscrump
Indi-Lei

Yeah, I'd like to hear feedback on the mod podge idea. I wouldn't mind using it if I had to get waterproofing spray too. I think I'd use the waterproofing stuff quite a bit.
That might work, actually. I think I'd have to go with ruffles though, 'cause the most of the damage was just all over the toe area from what I saw. I was kind of hoping to change the color from black to blue-enough with all-over coverage, but keeping them black would be alright. Maybe I could go with a flower petal effect, like this? That'd be pretty cute. I'll have to see if I have tough enough glue around. If I could avoid sewing, that would be good. I'm not that great at hand-sewing and I've never done it on a shoe before.
There were some marks on the sides, though. Maybe I could color those in somehow, like dye them..? The bite marks pulled back some of the black coloring so you can see the beige underneath. I don't think I'd want to try using a sharpie on them.

That example is really cute. I think it would look nice. I've hand-sewed on a shoe but its pretty difficult if the fabric is really stiff. If you wanted to try, get the thinnest needle possible. Check and see if crazy glue or gorilla glue is water proof maybe..

You know, after posting in here yesterday today i noticed a deep cut in the toe of my boots and now I'm thinking of trying some of the things in here.

I'm no shoe-pro but I was thinking about filling the cut with fabric paint and using a brush to smooth it out. Since I probably wont get the exact color, I might make it into a design or something I guess..The reason I'm thinking of fabric paint is because I know its at least waterproof..Maybe you could put some paint in your damaged area too.
Indi-Lei
That example is really cute. I think it would look nice. I've hand-sewed on a shoe but its pretty difficult if the fabric is really stiff. If you wanted to try, get the thinnest needle possible. Check and see if crazy glue or gorilla glue is water proof maybe..

You know, after posting in here yesterday today i noticed a deep cut in the toe of my boots and now I'm thinking of trying some of the things in here.

I'm no shoe-pro but I was thinking about filling the cut with fabric paint and using a brush to smooth it out. Since I probably wont get the exact color, I might make it into a design or something I guess..The reason I'm thinking of fabric paint is because I know its at least waterproof..Maybe you could put some paint in your damaged area too.

Yeah, these shoes seem like the material is a little thicker in the toe area, but it doesn't seem that bad. I can press it in well enough. I'll look around for a good type of glue for shoes.

I'm not sure fabric paint would stick to my shoes. They have a slick material all around the outside and I'm afraid the paint would crack where the shoes wrinkle. But I have used fabric paint on canvas shoes. I wonder if you could mix it with glue or something to better fill in the cut on your boot?
Umpenscrump
Indi-Lei

Yeah, these shoes seem like the material is a little thicker in the toe area, but it doesn't seem that bad. I can press it in well enough. I'll look around for a good type of glue for shoes.

I'm not sure fabric paint would stick to my shoes. They have a slick material all around the outside and I'm afraid the paint would crack where the shoes wrinkle. But I have used fabric paint on canvas shoes. I wonder if you could mix it with glue or something to better fill in the cut on your boot?

Oh, yeah the wrinkle sounds like it could pose a problem..Its hard to tell without seeing them.

Hm, I'll look into mixing it. Its not such a deep cut--just a scrape really..its a weird brown so matching its going to be the annoying part. I was thinking of just making a black cap on the toes or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff