Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

I desperately want a panda hat!

(isn't this horrible! she starts out by complaining!)

but anyways.. I want to make it myself~ partly because it seems fun, and partly because I'm a bit too broke to go to the wonderful genki hat shop..

Does any one know a good pattern (easy would be nice...) that I could work with? I can't seem to find one anywhere..

thanks in advance~!

-rose

Dapper Dabbler

don't take this the wrong way, but did you type in 'panda hat patterns' on google?

Dapper Dabbler

yup. I did.. ^^;;

I was looking for a non-knitting pattern, actually. I can't seen to find one anywhere. Maybe it's just me and my weird search engines.. but for some reason all panda patterns are knitted...
Ah. A friend gave me instructions on how to make the base of the hat, you just gotta figure out how to put on the ears yourself.

1. Draw a wedge shape onto a heavy piece of cardboard. The wedge should be about 6 1/2 inches long and 6 inches wide at the base. The sides of the wedge should arc as they taper down to the base. Use scissors to cut out the shape from the cardboard.

2. Lay your polar fleece fabric onto a flat work surface, wrong side up. Place your cardboard template onto the fabric and trace around it with a fabric-marking pen. Make a total of four tracings.

3. Use a yardstick or ruler and a fabric-marking pen to trace a long rectangle onto the wrong side of the fabric. The rectangle should be about 20 inches long. Decide how wide you want the brim of your hat to be and make the width of the rectangle twice that width.

4. Place one wedge on top of another, right sides together. Make sure that the edges line up evenly. Use a sewing machine to stitch along one side, from point to base. Stitch 1/4 inch from the raw edges. Repeat with the two remaining wedges.

5. Place one hat half on top of the other, right sides together. Line up the edges evenly and stitch along each side, from point to base. Stitch 1/4 inch from the raw edges. Turn right side out.

6. Fold the fabric rectangle in half, right sides together, so that the short edges meet and line up evenly. Sew these edges together. Leave a 1/4-inch seam allowance.

7. Fold the band in half, wrong sides together, to create the brim of your hat. Use dressmaker pins to pin the band to the hat. The brim should lie inside the hat, and all raw edges should line up evenly.

8. Sew the brim into place and turn it up.

Dapper Dabbler

yay~ thank you so much- it was very helpful, and I think I'll be able to put on the ears myself.. I can actually understand these directions. 3nodding I'm going to make that! *runs off to sew..*
Do you not like to knit? It's so much fun! xd Of course, if you just like to sew thats okay too. whee

Dapper Dabbler

@ Celestyal: I like knitting, it just takes me absolutely forever. (we're probably talking years, here.) I prefer sewing.. it goes faster for me.. and ends up looking better.
Haha blaugh I understand how you feel! Hope i didn't make that sound like i was making fun of you? sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff