Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fuzzy Wolf

Hello! I just came up with an idea for a project, but I need a bit of help from the crafting community. I want to repaint bottle caps then attach safety pins to make them into neat little pins. However, I have no idea where to start.

What kind of paint do I use?
How do I seal the paint?
How should I attach the safety pin?

Any related links or tuts are greatly appreciated. whee
no idea with the safety pin. HOWEVER, you could get a pack of regular pin backs at the craft store. I just looked it up and they say they're called bar pins. if you're not looking specifically for the safety pin look, bar pins would be easy to just glue on.

I'd say use regular craft paint wot comes in the like four inch tall bottles. then look for clay varnish that you use with polymer clay.

Fuzzy Wolf

Corvidaen
no idea with the safety pin. HOWEVER, you could get a pack of regular pin backs at the craft store. I just looked it up and they say they're called bar pins. if you're not looking specifically for the safety pin look, bar pins would be easy to just glue on.

I'd say use regular craft paint wot comes in the like four inch tall bottles. then look for clay varnish that you use with polymer clay.

Thanks for looking that up! That's definitely helpful. I cosplay (and whatnot), and I once spent weeks on a prop but sealed it wrong. All of my hard work went to waste. The sealant made my prop chalky white and didn't actually keep the paint from chipping away. Needless to say, I don't know anything about sealing lol.

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I defintiely reccommend the bar pins for the backings, they're pretty sturdy and can dispense the weight evenly so the pin doesn't sag.
Also, depending on the type of clay you use is what varnish you want to get. I use sculpey, so I just buy the sculpey glaze and use that to seal and so far I've never had a problem.
As for attatching the backs, I just just a regular glue gun (cosplayers best friend!) to attach it and it seems to work fine for me smile

Fuzzy Wolf

mystikdreamer
I defintiely reccommend the bar pins for the backings, they're pretty sturdy and can dispense the weight evenly so the pin doesn't sag.
Also, depending on the type of clay you use is what varnish you want to get. I use sculpey, so I just buy the sculpey glaze and use that to seal and so far I've never had a problem.
As for attatching the backs, I just just a regular glue gun (cosplayers best friend!) to attach it and it seems to work fine for me smile

Thank you! I will definitely look into the bar pins. However, I'm not using clay. I'm just repainting bottle caps. Do you think acrylic paint would work well for that? Also, should I seal the bottle cap before and after the paint, or just before?

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Pink Cogs
mystikdreamer

Thank you! I will definitely look into the bar pins. However, I'm not using clay. I'm just repainting bottle caps. Do you think acrylic paint would work well for that? Also, should I seal the bottle cap before and after the paint, or just before?

In my experience, acrylic paint will chip off of the caps unless you properly seal them BEFORE you paint them. If you want them glossy or any other texture then I would seal them afterwards as well. Otherwise, I would think that they would last through moderate wear and tear with just one coat. Experimentation is the best way to figure it out, especially with different sealants smile

Fuzzy Wolf

mystikdreamer
Pink Cogs
mystikdreamer

In my experience, acrylic paint will chip off of the caps unless you properly seal them BEFORE you paint them. If you want them glossy or any other texture then I would seal them afterwards as well. Otherwise, I would think that they would last through moderate wear and tear with just one coat. Experimentation is the best way to figure it out, especially with different sealants smile

That is excellent. Thank you SO much for taking the time to reply. This was very helpful!
Use E-6000 glue.
Though more expensive, you might want to try model enamel paints if you're feeling really daring, I'm thinking that they may stick better to the metal, (just remember to use them in a well ventilated area! surprised ) Though, definitely try mystikdreamer's method first whee
In my personal experience, Aleene's Jewelery and Metal glue works really well as a permanent bond, and it's cheap and easy to use 3nodding

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I mess around with making nuka cola caps but have no experience more than that in this realm.

But if you want to paint caps, and are super concerned about the paint staying on, something that would increase it's ability to stick to the cap would be to remove absolutely any contaminants the paint might stick to on the surface. Thorough wash. After all, you want the paint to stick to the bottlecaps, not some thin film of oil and dirt on top of the bottlecaps that can just come off right? 3nodding

And if you were really really wanting to go all in, you could remove the current paint from the bottlecaps, which could be done several easy ways, that way your gloss/glue/paint however you do it, sticks to the metal, instead of the old and potentially weakened paint previously on the cap, old paint can chip off...metal wont.

Just my thoughts on the durability bit of it.

And like has already been said, at least one sealing layer on top of it all~!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff