Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is Heart Still Beating?

....... 0.25 25.0% [ 9 ]
OMG its SOS 0.25 25.0% [ 9 ]
Yes? 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 10 ]
Nope. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]

Well I recently tried my hand in stenciling. My brother exclaimed "I would so wear that! Make me a shirt. I can be walking advertisment. And be far more superior to people with mass produce shirts!" hes very hyper active and creative. I thought well I am always buying shirts from forign places just so its original in the states so why not make a shirt. So I decided to put it on a canvas bag before I ruine a shirt already. Question. Im low on money and will acrylic paints hold well on canvas bags? Im not planning on using acrylic on the adventual shirt but will it be a waste of paint to use acrylic on a bag?
Im such a loser. Of corse it will. A simple google seach cleared that up. Well any tips on not getting the stencil sticking to my creation when Im done gonk
I took screen printing and that is the method they use for tshirt making. If you get some of the freezer paper (wax on one side) and make your stencils out of that, it should work for you. Try making your stencils (if using freezer paper, wax side facing you) and with spray paint, spray it. Water color paper is good too because it is thick and will absorb water easily.
You can turn acrylic paints in to fabric paint quite easily and cheaply. If you go to your local art store they should be able to show you the stuff you need. I can't remember the name but it's basically a little bottle of fabric stuff that you can mix with any acrylic paint and it will hold it on to the fabric. I've used it all the time and it works extremely well. It means you only have to buy the one bottle and you can turn any colour in to fabric paint. It's worth an ask and the people in the store should know what your talking about.
margarita salt
You can turn acrylic paints in to fabric paint quite easily and cheaply. If you go to your local art store they should be able to show you the stuff you need. I can't remember the name but it's basically a little bottle of fabric stuff that you can mix with any acrylic paint and it will hold it on to the fabric. I've used it all the time and it works extremely well. It means you only have to buy the one bottle and you can turn any colour in to fabric paint. It's worth an ask and the people in the store should know what your talking about.

Yup! It's called fabric medium but, if you're going to be painting something that you're unlikely to wash, then you don't need the medium anyway. Just dab the paint down into the weave of the fabric. Make sure to put old paper underneath so the paint bleedthrough won't adhere the fabric to whatever it's sitting on! Freezer paper is a great idea for single use stencils. Otherwise it's worth the time to get stenciling plastic at an art/craft store if you're going to hand stencil items. If you're really going to mass produce a design though, you really should just go the silkscreen route. Less chance of slipping stencil around while working, less physical "work" transferrign color......
Anyway I like to do single use stencils especially on heavier fabric- did a canvas type fishing vest for carrying some of my art gear when I go out to fairs etc. to draw caricatures. I actually used 3" wide masking tape put down on a slick surface(glass, acetate) drew the stencil, cut it out with X-acto blade, peeled it from the glass and applied it to the fabric. Worked really well b/c stencil will not slide around once you rub it in place and you can leave it until the paint dries and the paint can't "crawl" under the stencil while you're dabbing it onto the fabric.
Thanks for the tips. My bag looks awsome.
I like using fabric transfer crayons then you can draw your design and iron it on

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff