Welcome to Gaia! ::

650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
I have just started my first fair isle project, a hat for my dad. I've not really done any color work before. I'm wrapping the yarns around eachother as I go so there aren't any floats on the back of the work but this is just eating away at my patience, any suggestions, tips or tricks for a newbie?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
When you're comfortable with your tension, it's okay to let some short floats in. Two, maybe three stitches. It'll save you time without losing too much warmth and without letting the work fall apart.

Fashionable Citizen

Floats are totally okay, just remember to leave them a bit looser than you'd expect -- you'll run into trouble if the outside of your piece is stretchier than the inside. I wouldn't leave them at any longer than five or so stitches without a wrap, but if you feel like it'd be easier on your patience to have them just kinda hanging out there, remember that lining a hat is a totally feasible (and cuddly) option!
Be patient and TAKE you time.

Tipsy Grabber

Leaving floats of three or four stitches is totally acceptable BUT I would really, really like to say that the best thing you can do is remain patient. If you want your finished work to have no floats, and a tight finished, polished look then keep doing what you're doing. Sometimes knitting takes more time than you hoped.

I know that I want EVERY project done like, *RIGHT NOW* RIGHT NOW. But I'm always happy when I take my time and put in the tedious effort. It makes the difference.

Tricky Gekko

Yeah I float the yarn behind every three stitches or so, depends on the pattern I'm doing. I just finished a pair of these a little while ago for my mother. Just keep an eye on your tension, especially with a project that should stretch, like a hat. And be very very patient.

Commander in Chief

IN VEGAS
Yeah I float the yarn behind every three stitches or so, depends on the pattern I'm doing. I just finished a pair of these a little while ago for my mother. Just keep an eye on your tension, especially with a project that should stretch, like a hat. And be very very patient.
Did you know that if you took 19,256 birthday cards and shredded them then mixed them with glue you'd have a sticky pile of shredded cards? Hard to believe! Happy birthday to me! Bye!

Tricky Gekko

[NPC] President Diedrich
IN VEGAS
Did you know that if you took 19,256 birthday cards and shredded them then mixed them with glue you'd have a sticky pile of shredded cards? Hard to believe! Happy birthday to me! Bye!

i have a stalker and he's tiny and green and smells funny.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff