Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Seeker

8,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Work with chainmail? I have a few patterns down pat like the byzantine, boxchain, mobius, and rosettes but I'm having issues with things like the Persian 3 in 1.

If anyone else does chainmail I'd like to hear your stories and see your work. When I get mine loaded on photobucket (it's all on facebook if you want to look there just let me know) I'll post pictures of some of the things that I've done.

Oh, and where do you buy your rings at?

EDIT: My jewelry

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/chibichibi01/chainmail/

Some of those are test pieces and not the best quality, but I had fun making them

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kara Darkholm
Work with chainmail? I have a few patterns down pat like the byzantine, boxchain, mobius, and rosettes but I'm having issues with things like the Persian 3 in 1.

If anyone else does chainmail I'd like to hear your stories and see your work. When I get mine loaded on photobucket (it's all on facebook if you want to look there just let me know) I'll post pictures of some of the things that I've done.

I don't really have pictures of my work. I sell it faster than I make it. I use 16 Gauge rebar tie off wire, 3/8" rings overlapped, flattened, and welded with my homemade spot welder from a microwave transformer. Welded maille is really popular with LARPers and SCA people

Beloved Seeker

8,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

I don't really have pictures of my work. I sell it faster than I make it. I use 16 Gauge rebar tie off wire, 3/8" rings overlapped, flattened, and welded with my homemade spot welder from a microwave transformer. Welded maille is really popular with LARPers and SCA people
Glad you separated those two. I'm an "SCA people" myself. The jewelry aspect is really big in some of our southern groups.

Though, going by your post you actually make chain shirts and the like with your own wire. Where do you get it from? I've looked at all the hardware stores around here to see if I can actually find what i need, but so far no such luck.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

Glad you separated those two. I'm an "SCA people" myself. The jewelry aspect is really big in some of our southern groups.

Though, going by your post you actually make chain shirts and the like with your own wire. Where do you get it from? I've looked at all the hardware stores around here to see if I can actually find what i need, but so far no such luck.

With Home Depot or Lowes, go to the building materials section (Concrete, rebar, etc). They have 1lbs rolls of 16G wire. It's black and is sold under "Rebar Tie Off" or something to that effect. Also, in hardware they have a selection of 16 and 14 Gauge Galvanized and 16 Gauge brass. They also sell metal rods at various thicknesses to wrap the wire around to make the rings. As for cutting them, I recommend a specific shear. It's called the "WISS M5" and it's the best shear-cut around. Also available at either store in the tools section.

Beloved Seeker

8,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

With Home Depot or Lowes, go to the building materials section (Concrete, rebar, etc). They have 1lbs rolls of 16G wire. It's black and is sold under "Rebar Tie Off" or something to that effect. Also, in hardware they have a selection of 16 and 14 Gauge Galvanized and 16 Gauge brass. They also sell metal rods at various thicknesses to wrap the wire around to make the rings. As for cutting them, I recommend a specific shear. It's called the "WISS M5" and it's the best shear-cut around. Also available at either store in the tools section.
<3 Bless you.

Hopefully I can swing by there sometime today and start pricing things out. You just made getting plain metal rings SO much easier

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

<3 Bless you.

Hopefully I can swing by there sometime today and start pricing things out. You just made getting plain metal rings SO much easier

If you want to play with welded maille, here's an exact replica of my welder : http://www.home-workshop.com/MOTWelder.htm Just make sure it's not plugged in, you know, common sense stuff.

Beloved Seeker

8,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

<3 Bless you.

If you want to play with welded maille, here's an exact replica of my welder : http://www.home-workshop.com/MOTWelder.htm Just make sure it's not plugged in, you know, common sense stuff.
You made your own welder? I... I bow before your awesome creative techness. You have just blown my mind.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

<3 Bless you.

You made your own welder? I... I bow before your awesome creative techness. You have just blown my mind.

Why thank you for the flattering comment. The only challenging part is understanding whats happening with the charge flow (electricity). The rest is simple construction methods well within your range (if you can make chainmaille, you can make a welder, your just coiling wire...lol). Next time you come across a broken microwave (the transformer is built like a tank, they just don't die) pull it out and save it for when you decide to do some welded artwork. Rings are not the only thing that can be welded as you can weld wire together is all kinds of patterns and designs.

Beloved Seeker

8,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm
chainmailleman
Kara Darkholm

<3 Bless you.

Why thank you for the flattering comment. The only challenging part is understanding whats happening with the charge flow (electricity). The rest is simple construction methods well within your range (if you can make chainmaille, you can make a welder, your just coiling wire...lol). Next time you come across a broken microwave (the transformer is built like a tank, they just don't die) pull it out and save it for when you decide to do some welded artwork. Rings are not the only thing that can be welded as you can weld wire together is all kinds of patterns and designs.
Huh. Well, my grandfather has plenty of old microwaves that he'll probably let me gank from.

Thanks again for all the advice! I saw some Galvinized steel in the gauge I like, but no brass. Here's hoping the bigger lowes in my mom's town has what I'm looking for
Damn, i really need to check in more often, I could have missed this. I make chainmaile as well. However, I, like chainmailleman, am more into the armor aspect, though I am trying to get into making more jewelry pieces to sell. Unfortunately, I don't think I can give you much in the way of advice, you seem to know more patterns than I do and chainmailleman is certainly a more skilled armorer. The only think I might be able to help with is if you want to make a jig to coil wire into rings. I make my own rings out of galvanized steel, mostly 14 gauge though I am starting to get into 16 for jewelry.

Here is some of my work.

hauberk and coif
User Image

chainmaile tie
User Image

I have other pieces posted on my etsy (link in my sig) including loose rings if you are interested, though I don't think they are what you would want for jewelry. I like your stuff by the way, very colorful. I especially like the earrings with the round pattern, black and gold very nice.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Well I did find one picture, of my work but it's old, the picture I mean. I was a junior in high school (2003-04) and this coif got caught around my head. I was sizing the opening for the face so it could fold down like a hood but still stay on the head snuggly enough to walk around in. 3/8 14G galvy.
Kinda feel more silly in this picture then I do with me in a dress wink User Image

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Thalianost

Here is some of my work.

hauberk and coif
User Image

Whats the shield made out of? That really popped out at me.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kara Darkholm

Thanks again for all the advice! I saw some Galvinized steel in the gauge I like, but no brass. Here's hoping the bigger lowes in my mom's town has what I'm looking for

The brass is a small roll, in a package, about 20 or so feet (enough for a bracelet out of Byzantine). It's not annealed. It is very springy and has some serious kickback, similar to galvanized steel. I think it is located above the galvanized. If not, it is where all the rolls of cable are (not cut to length, thats usually on a different aisle but in the same section). I used to work at home depot and they sold brass wire next to the cabinet hardware and aluminum fence wire on the back wall at the store I worked at.
chainmailleman

It is plywood with garden hose held on by parachute cord cushioning the edge. Not exactly period, but it is designed for safety in boffer fighting rather than historical accuracy.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Thalianost
chainmailleman

It is plywood with garden hose held on by parachute cord cushioning the edge. Not exactly period, but it is designed for safety in boffer fighting rather than historical accuracy.

It looks pretty good. I've mostly seen foam pool "noodles" glued to the edges. Some people don't even paint them lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff