Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Fatcat

Can you, or is their a glue that can be used to bond metal wire together securely?
Id like to use it on metal wire that is 12guage or below. I am aware that welding would be perfect here, but I have no experience yet with welding.
Id like to not have to tie the ends to the frame because I plan to put fabric in the frame and I feel like it would look a little sloppy for this project (although I suppose I could hide it the knot in the inside).

Original Lunatic

Liquid superglue (not the gel) might be the only thing that would work. I've used it to glue metal bails to necklace pendants with some success.

Or you could go out and get a cheap soldering iron. It's like... low-heat welding, sort of, and it's very easy to learn. I always keep a soldering iron and flux (the metal "glue" that melts and holds solders together) on hand in case I need it for fixing electronics or even for my jewelry. I didn't pay more than $15 for my iron at Sears and it came with a stand and various tubes of flux.

Wheezing Fatcat

Albino Sea Monkey
Liquid superglue (not the gel) might be the only thing that would work. I've used it to glue metal bails to necklace pendants with some success.

Or you could go out and get a cheap soldering iron. It's like... low-heat welding, sort of, and it's very easy to learn. I always keep a soldering iron and flux (the metal "glue" that melts and holds solders together) on hand in case I need it for fixing electronics or even for my jewelry. I didn't pay more than $15 for my iron at Sears and it came with a stand and various tubes of flux.

My boyfriend was saying something about that last night, I expected it to be much more expensive though, D: I'm going to have to look into that, thank you. heart
E6000 glue is used for bonding metal to metal and is used for jewelry. However, be VERY careful using this in a very well ventilated place, it is extremely toxic. That said, you should also allow 24-48 hours to allow the glue to cure before attaching anything else to it. Hope that helps.

Original Lunatic

Ah yes! I always forget about E6000 because I've had nothing but bad experiences with it. I can't ever get it to dry for some reason. Even after a week it's still sticky. Maybe I got a tube from a bad batch or something? hahaha.

Wheezing Fatcat

KayJKay
E6000 glue is used for bonding metal to metal and is used for jewelry. However, be VERY careful using this in a very well ventilated place, it is extremely toxic. That said, you should also allow 24-48 hours to allow the glue to cure before attaching anything else to it. Hope that helps.

Thank you, I'm not sure if that will be right for the project though, but I'll keep it in mind for later use D:

Friendly Guildsman

As previous posters said, invest in a soldering iron. They're simple and pretty hard to hurt yourself with, just don't touch the hot end and you're good.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Regular white elmer's glue will work if it's going to be framed. If your going to be playing with it, I recommend an epoxy or something similar. Soldering works and is very easy (beginning welding I guess). Spot welders are easy to make and use for small wire projects.
For metal, soldering is the best option.
If you don't want to go that route, maybe try to incorporate some decorative cold connections to include (or hide) in the piece. (Cold connections would include things like twisting, or interlocking the wire together in a design, as opposed to hot connections or soldering).

Tipsy Grabber

JB Weld is a cold weld adhesive that you can usually find in any local automotive store, or even automotive section at walmart, so forth. It's a strong hold, and it's usually about 3-5 dollars. Is is a two part solution, but it comes in tubes similar to super glue. I would recommend a little practice first and it completely cures within twelves hours.
User Image

Dapper Dabbler

8,200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
I dont understand why no one has suggested regular cold connections, such as twisting the wires together in an area that wont be seen or twisting them in a more decorative manner like making the curly on the ends... cold connections dont have to be ugly or huge to work. Just google it an you will get some great examples. It is used in most wire wrapping for almost everything from pendants to rings to bracelets.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff