Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green Yarn & Needles
User Image
Amigurumi lovers!

Hello!
I noticed there was something of a lack in the way of amigurumi threads here on the Gaia crafts forum, so I decided to make my own.

This thread is dedicated to the art of amigurumi! Feel free to rave, talk, share, and get info on how to get started!

I also put together a bunch of links that I found useful when getting started.

- heart - heart -

What is it?
Amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and objects. Almost anything can be made into amigurumi. Animals and food are the more popular kinds of amigurumi. Anthropomorphic animals are also common.

Amigurumi is also very simple. With a basic knowledge of crochet, almost anyone can do it. Most amigurumi creations are made in crocheted spirals, with increases and decreases to make the various shapes of the object being made.

Amigurumi on Wikipedia

- heart - heart -

News and Updates
1/23/08 - Our first ever Amigurumi-Along opens! (See below for info) - Title: Sweet Cuppin' Cakes!
2/3/08 - emi_die_maku became the very first person to post pics of her finished craft-along project; kittycupcake! (View below or here: link)
3/10/08 - Next Ami-Along voting opened! End of poll is in 5 days (the 15th)
3/15/08 - Poll ended. Wonderland won! Finished projects must be in by 4/5/08. That gives participants about 3 weeks to work on and finish.
4/2/08 - Crochet along extended until the 15th of the April... Then there will be a 2 week break in which the next crochet along will be decided.
4/10/08 - First Knitted 'Gurumi resource link added, thanks to Flying Carrot of Doom! Sakura Brothers Amigurumi Tutorial for Knitters

9/15/10 - Working on updating the page and fixing broken links. PM me if there is something that needs fixed or added to the front page!

- heart - heart -

Where?
Here! Well, here are some links to some awesome amigurumi artists and the links to sites showcasing the works of some awesome amigurumi artists!

- heart - heart -

User Image

Getting Started
The first thing to do is learn the basics of crochet. I had almost no crochet experience when I decided to pick up amigurumi, so I had to start at sqaure one.

- heart - heart -

Resources

Knitters Resources

- heart - heart -

User Image

Free Patterns
These are just a few samples of what kinds of patterns your can find online for free.

- heart - heart -

Free Pattern Sites

- heart - heart -

Books
General Crochet

Amigurumi Specific

You can also find many other amigurumi books on ebay, lots of them in their original japanese text. Fortunately, almost all of them include universal crochet charts.

- heart - heart -

Events and Activities

None at the moment!

- heart - heart -

Amigurumi Pals (friends of the thread)
the-stormbringer
AmigurumiJain
emi_die_maku
Legna Ruoy
Clear Bubble
Firrerreo
ianthine
Piskie
Flying Carrot of Doom

- heart - heart -

Gaian Communities
Here are a couple of guilds that support crocheting, knitting and other such arts and crafts. There may be more to be added later.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image

About Me
My name is Lydia and I'm about 20 years old. I've been doing crafty stuff for forever, I think, but crocheting is one skill I never bothered to learn, until rather recently.

I'm just as new new to the world of amigurumi as crocheting... I picked it up about a month ago (though I admired crocheted plushies long before that), and I'm thoroughly addicted.

All of the 'gurumis in the pics are my own and most of the patterns for which can be found online. To see my other plushies and creative works, check out my deviantArt account: Thera18 on DeviantArt.
Oh wow!! I just believe I just found a new Hobby! Thanks ''Demons tears''.
Oh snap, what a great use for left-over stash yarn. I'm now feeling the need to do something really dorky, like making Christmas colored cupcake ornaments. Thanks for the free patterns!
Oh my gosh. I love you. heart I read your post on the "Happy Hookers Unite" thread, and I started my first cupcake like, twenty minutes later. I finished the bottom yesterday, and as soon as I get home from school today, I'm going to go do the frosting. I think I'm going to attempt a cute duck pattern I found online next. Happy hooking!
the-stormbringer
Oh my gosh. I love you. heart I read your post on the "Happy Hookers Unite" thread, and I started my first cupcake like, twenty minutes later. I finished the bottom yesterday, and as soon as I get home from school today, I'm going to go do the frosting. I think I'm going to attempt a cute duck pattern I found online next. Happy hooking!

I love you too. lol. I figured since there seemed to be some interest on the "Happy Hookers" thread, that it would be nice to have a separate thread dedicated to amigurumi, especially since I've found so many different resources when I started out. I just had to share! ^__^

Firrerreo
Oh snap, what a great use for left-over stash yarn. I'm now feeling the need to do something really dorky, like making Christmas colored cupcake ornaments. Thanks for the free patterns!

You're very welcome! I'm working on Christmas presents for my friends and family. Mostly keychain sized things, but I was thinking about making a few ornaments too. Maybe some christmas donuts... hmm...

Lovable Soul
Oh wow!! I just believe I just found a new Hobby! Thanks ''Demons tears''.

Cool! Have fun!
I love this thread. And you.
And Amigurumis! I've been trying to find some cute patterns.... blaugh
-sets up a tent-
This is my new home. 'Smores, anyone?
-Plops next to the fire and begins munching on a s'more-

Actually... a s'more would make a cute 'gurumi. I might have to try and come up with a pattern. ^__^
-waddles over to fire and takes a smore-

A 'smore amigurumi? Too adorable! whee

But I absolutely NEED to make that Donut pattern you posted up. It's uber awesome. 3nodding
The donut pattern is awesome. It's the one pattern I haven't gotten sick of, even after making about 6 of them total. ^__^ I'm going to turn one of them into a cell phone charm for my new phone.

I think I'll try a s'more after I'm finished with the robot I'm working on. The robot is my 'gurumi that I've done without a pattern, so it's turning out to be quite the learning process...
A smore amigurumi...would be soooo cute! When you're done with it, you MUST post a picture...OR ELSE. twisted
Yes... or else... domokun

Hehe, robot ami? Does it have oddly robotic arms and legs?
I'll definitely post the s'more once I make it. It should be a heck of a lot easier than the robot....

The robot I'm making was inspired by a Japanese amigurumi book that I'm too cheap to actually buy... hopefully the finished product will look something like this:

User Image

I have the body, head, nose, and lightbulb finished... now just to figure out the hands. >__<
yay! i want to set up a tent next to yours! as you can tell by my name, this is my kind of thread! biggrin i'm jain. i am going to make some more amis for christmas gifts but right now i am making a sushi roll scarf. it looks like sushi when you roll it up! i made a ton of donuts too, they are fun and fast.
Aww, that robot ami looks so cute!

eek A sushi scarf??? AWESOME!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas