Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Loiterer

jMoof
Hello! I was browsing the forum and found this lovely thread! I was wondering if someone could tell me how to crochet a completely flat circle.
I´ve tried a tecnique where you just add 3 stitches evenly every row but it doesnt work with a big circle sad .

Also, I found this webpage where they explain how to do a perfect sphere in different row sizes and I think it would be a great addition to the reference database you have. http://mspremiseconclusion.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/the-ideal-crochet-sphere/

Thank you!

Welcome! Always glad to see more people here!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make a completely flat circle. :/

*Goes to Ravelry*

Maybe this?

O.G. Gaian

jMoof
Hello! I was browsing the forum and found this lovely thread! I was wondering if someone could tell me how to crochet a completely flat circle.
I´ve tried a tecnique where you just add 3 stitches evenly every row but it doesnt work with a big circle sad .

Eh... totally with single crochet? It's tricky. And I don't want to say there's a hard and fast rule for it, you kind of have to "feel" your way through it.

I made some coasters and a pillow shaped like records a few months ago; obviously, vaguely hexagonal shapes wouldn't do. I basically started out increasing every stitch for a round, then single stitching the next round, increasing all the next round, then single stitching the next two... or three...? I should have written it down. The next increasing round, I increased every other stitch. What it really ends up being is kind of a balancing act between too many and too few stitches; you want to increase a little more than you'd need to do for the round you're working, so that you can stitch even for a few rounds afterward.

jMoof
Also, I found this webpage where they explain how to do a perfect sphere in different row sizes and I think it would be a great addition to the reference database you have. http://mspremiseconclusion.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/the-ideal-crochet-sphere/

Ooh, hey, I use that sometimes! For most spheres, generally, just increasing by six each round is fine, I've found -- but that's using acrylic yarn and stuffing it with fiberfill, precision isn't really needed there. xd

Desirable Nerd

Jishii

Welcome! Always glad to see more people here!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make a completely flat circle. :/

*Goes to Ravelry*

Maybe this?

Thank you, it looks awesome but I dont completely understand the instructions sweatdrop

Desirable Nerd

faolan

I made some coasters and a pillow shaped like records a few months ago; obviously, vaguely hexagonal shapes wouldn't do. I basically started out increasing every stitch for a round, then single stitching the next round, increasing all the next round, then single stitching the next two... or three...? I should have written it down. The next increasing round, I increased every other stitch. What it really ends up being is kind of a balancing act between too many and too few stitches; you want to increase a little more than you'd need to do for the round you're working, so that you can stitch even for a few rounds afterward.

Well, I had the idea that making single crochet in a whole row would start making a tube, so I usually avoided not increasing in a row D:. And pillows shaped like records sound awesome! biggrin

O.G. Gaian

jMoof
I dont completely understand the instructions sweatdrop

... question

Ah... it's British terminology, so "htr", or half treble, is a half-double stitch. So, she's starting with 10 half-double stitches in a ring. Then she slip-stitches to connect the last stitch with the first one, so it's a circle. Chain stitch, and make two half-double stitches in every stitch of the first round, so you end up with 20 stitches. Slip stitch, chain, then alternate between one half-double stitch and two half-double stitches in each stitch, to end up with 30 stitches. You add 10 stitches to each round. The photographs make it very easy to follow.

The thing is, if you're making it very big, after awhile it will begin to look more like a decagon (a ten-sided shape) than a circle, because of the regular interval of your increases.

O.G. Gaian

jMoof
And pillows shaped like records sound awesome! biggrin

Aha, I knew I'd taken a picture of it... not a very good one, but even so:

User Image

Hopefully that kind of sort of gives you an idea what I mean... for the black part, I worked in a spiral, just in the back loops, for that "groovy" texture a record has. xd Made two of them, then finally, the last round I stitched them together, back to back, until it was almost closed, and stuffed it. I actually wanted to make it larger -- the size of a 33 was what I was aiming for -- but I ran out of time. sweatdrop

Desirable Nerd

faolan
jMoof

... question

Ah... it's British terminology, so "htr", or half treble, is a half-double stitch. So, she's starting with 10 half-double stitches in a ring. Then she slip-stitches to connect the last stitch with the first one, so it's a circle. Chain stitch, and make two half-double stitches in every stitch of the first round, so you end up with 20 stitches. Slip stitch, chain, then alternate between one half-double stitch and two half-double stitches in each stitch, to end up with 30 stitches. You add 10 stitches to each round. The photographs make it very easy to follow.

The thing is, if you're making it very big, after awhile it will begin to look more like a decagon (a ten-sided shape) than a circle, because of the regular interval of your increases.
Ohhhhh I see now. Since I start with a "magic ring" I got lost at the beginning. Thank you!

O.G. Gaian

jMoof
faolan
jMoof

... question

Ohhhhh I see now. Since I start with a "magic ring" I got lost at the beginning. Thank you!

You can; some people just chain a few, and use the first chain stitch as a loop, which is what she's describing. Personally, I just use the loop. xp
Well, this is my first time posting on Gaia in probably over a year, and I can think of no better place to do it than in an amigurumi thread.

I'm an avid amigurumi artist and look forward to chatting with some of my fellow crafters.

Aged Loiterer

Aged Loiterer

Not really amigurumi, but my BFF just told me she's pregnant, so I'm going to be crocheting a lot!

I made these on the fly, and there is a lot of amigurumi construction in them.

Booties

Shameless Lunatic

I love Amigrumi! Hi everyone
band_geek3000
Howdy! What sorts of things do you make?

Shameless Lunatic

PrairieGhost
band_geek3000
Howdy! What sorts of things do you make?
Whatever strikes my mood. Lately I've been working on turtles and dragons, and I have a half finished giraffe. What about you?
I have done a little of everything. I have a gallery on Deviantart that you can take a look at if you like.

http://craftedkansas.deviantart.com/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces