Welcome to Gaia! ::

User ImageUser Image
Ladeh is speakin'. Listen up. ;D

Online resources... :3

But yes, America.

hiii does anyone know of a CHEAP website for sweet lolita clothing? ^_^ if such a thing exists. or maybe a pattern for a ...very very new beginner. XD
User ImageUser Image

Cheap is hard to find.

It depends on your definition of Cheap.

You can try the LiveJournal EGL Comm Sales, where members post things for sale all the time, and occasionally at a much cheaper price.

You could also try Bodyline, but often those are not very good quality. So be careful on that.

There are countless tutorials online for Lolita styles, ei. on the first page. here's a list of other links for tutorials:

A tutorial collection

And another.

Even if the tutorial isn't for Sweet Lolita, it is easy to sweeten things up. Just be creative with your lace.

If you have any more, specific questions, we'll be glad to help.
Stupid question: has anyone ever bought from closet child before? I just bought an h.Naoto shirt that I was less than happy with from them...I just want to know if anyone has ever had problems from them other than me, so I can help determine if I want to go back.
Gedda lady death
Stupid question: has anyone ever bought from closet child before? I just bought an h.Naoto shirt that I was less than happy with from them...I just want to know if anyone has ever had problems from them other than me, so I can help determine if I want to go back.

I've been to their store in Harajuku before... Their Sweet stuff looks generally of better quality than the goth stuff... You've got to bear in mind that it's second hand so the quality is not consitant... =/
Alright so Im new to the sewing thing as well. I had a few sew savvy friends help my make my first beginner lolita blouse. the thing is its cheap cotton fabric.

But I didnt want to buy the expensive stuff and mess it up and it's suppose to be the thought and love you put into making it that counts but Im afraid people will be all judgemental at the con like

:O omg thats COS LOLITA look at the cheap fabric.

Maybe I'm thinking too much on it? And I need a new sewing machine. Mine is this little one I got from kmart for like 30. it's all child sized and barney style. It doesnt do hardly anything but stitch. No gauge anything. </rant>

When it comes to making your first lolita outfit, is it taboo or does it really matter if it isn't high quality fabric at first?

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
LikeAKnifeInAGunFight
Alright so Im new to the sewing thing as well. I had a few sew savvy friends help my make my first beginner lolita blouse. the thing is its cheap cotton fabric.

But I didnt want to buy the expensive stuff and mess it up and it's suppose to be the thought and love you put into making it that counts but Im afraid people will be all judgemental at the con like

:O omg thats COS LOLITA look at the cheap fabric.

Maybe I'm thinking too much on it? And I need a new sewing machine. Mine is this little one I got from kmart for like 30. it's all child sized and barney style. It doesnt do hardly anything but stitch. No gauge anything. </rant>

When it comes to making your first lolita outfit, is it taboo or does it really matter if it isn't high quality fabric at first?

There's plenty of people who make their own clothes or sew_loli wouldn't exist. You have to start somewhere and if you aren't very good yet, why spend money on super awsome fabric just to mess it up?
Thats true. I just don't want to be looked down on.
User ImageUser Image

You will not be looked down on at a Convention, trust me. Most people would be like

OOO ULOOK AWESOMEZZZ NOMNOM, mainly impressed that you've made your own Lolita garb. It's a convention, not a loli meet up. xD

If you would like, make two. Make a blouse of a cheaper fabric, and then the *same* one in the more expensive fabric. Muslin, which is made exactly for that purpose, is good for that. It's like a practice run.

However, as long as it looks GOOD it won't be judged as coslolita. As long as it's not like see-through or anything, and if it is, wear a cute camisole underneath. Make that the *point*. ;D
fayebelly
Gedda lady death

I've been to their store in Harajuku before... Their Sweet stuff looks generally of better quality than the goth stuff... You've got to bear in mind that it's second hand so the quality is not consitant... =/
It wasn't the quality that got to me. It was their sever lack of descriptions, the picture didn't show the back well and I wasn't aware it had "Devils" written on it in black lace, now that I look at the picture again, I still don't see the letters well.
Also they said it was longer than it was. Or maybe I assumed that when they said how long it was that they weren't including the coat tails (never bought anything with coattails before, I assumed the "length" meant the actual shirt part...now it's a good 4 inches too short).
LikeAKnifeInAGunFight
Thats true. I just don't want to be looked down on.
No one will look down on you (except elitists, but then again alot of them don't accept lolita unless it's brand), especially not at a con. Most people will be impressed that you sewed something, and the lolitas will be happy as long as it fits the lolita rules. As long as it's not made of lining material or muslin, you should be fine.
User Image

I have a question that's been bugging me, who is to say what is "acceptable" lolita and what isn't?
Just because someone wears something that doesn't conform to the set idea and standards of lolita, what makes them not lolita? For example, how does one determine what is lolita and what is costume lolita? At times, it is painstakingly obvious, but often, the line blurs together quite a bit. I've seen plenty of lolitas who go in full brand-whore(no offense) passion to a Con, and then I've seen people in clothes that many lolitas would turn their nose to(such as altered dresses and skirts from thrift stores and popular clothing stores like H&M and Forever 21) that are just as nice and lolita standard-meeting as something you would buy from BTSSB or Black Peace Now. What exactly are the standards do you think?

User Image
User ImageUser Image

Truthfully, it all comes down to personal opinion. There are some standards, that you are obviously aware of, but if a girl who sews her own clothes from refurbished materials considers herself Lolita and meets those basic criteria, she is Lolita to herself. It's a personal thing. Just because the (eloquently put, haha) brand-whores say "oh you're not real lolita," doesn't mean she is not real Lolita. To them, maybe. But who cares what they think? They're brand-whores.
Thanks that makes me feel a little better. 4laugh

I guess being lolita to yourself and having pride in it is what matters. The blouse I made is a tad see through so I'll have to find a nice undershirt to wear with it.

And pft elitists. Not all of us are spoiled by our parents or are made of money. ^_^

Once I start gathering the peices of my outfit together I'll be sure to post pics up here! <3
User Image

Yay! That's so exciting. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas