Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

When I have patterns, (I like Florals and Stripes) I like to match them with solids that are similar shades. Like, if the background of a flower pattern is a pink colour, I'll get a matching solid. With stripes, I pick one stripe colour and use that as a solid. Or I just make the entire dress/skirt of the same pattern. smile

Just an fyi,

horizontal stripes

are atrocious

in dresses/skirts.

just atrocious.

never do it.

kthnx.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Yay a non-clique lolita discussion thread! That other one is stupid, people in there can be stuck up and bossy a lot of the time. That and I don't like over-crowded threads, even this ones a little large for me.. but seemingly more modest.

Hehe! Hello I am Adrian and my lolita style is a mixture of Sweet and Hime styles. Sometimes I'll feel pretty like a princess and other times I lose control and convert back into my childhood, so most of the time it's one or the other. Hehe! I can't stand the darker colors of lolita styles though, well I wouldn't dare wear any of it( too common for me anyways) although some people it looks very nice on them.
= w =

I became obsessesd with the style of lolita fashion ever since the beginning of this year. I always liked poofy dresses, pink and white and have always been child-like, but when I noticed that there was another lifestyle that fit this categlory I became infatuated~ This obsession forced me into a constant state of sewing, I taught myself basically but theres still a lot Ive yet to learn. I don't want to go to college to learn though, school work stresses me out and ruins my freetime which I love "sew" much! Hahahaha~
8-Bit-Pixel-
Yay a non-clique lolita discussion thread! That other one is stupid, people in there can be stuck up and bossy a lot of the time. That and I don't like over-crowded threads, even this ones a little large for me.. but seemingly more modest.

Hehe! Hello I am Adrian and my lolita style is a mixture of Sweet and Hime styles. Sometimes I'll feel pretty like a princess and other times I lose control and convert back into my childhood, so most of the time it's one or the other. Hehe! I can't stand the darker colors of lolita styles though, well I wouldn't dare wear any of it( too common for me anyways) although some people it looks very nice on them.
= w =

I became obsessesd with the style of lolita fashion ever since the beginning of this year. I always liked poofy dresses, pink and white and have always been child-like, but when I noticed that there was another lifestyle that fit this categlory I became infatuated~ This obsession forced me into a constant state of sewing, I taught myself basically but theres still a lot Ive yet to learn. I don't want to go to college to learn though, school work stresses me out and ruins my freetime which I love "sew" much! Hahahaha~
User Image

Go to college.

Yeah, I've been in love with lolita for a long time. I'm 13 so I don't have the money to buy things that often(I invested my birthday money in a skirt) and am learning how to sew. Right now I'm actually doing really cute plushies called Pookies. I might start making lolita editions of them that people can buy(when I FINALLY set up my etsy) to match lolita outfits(lace, bows, etc.) I'll post pictures if I do!

Oh! Also, should I make one to match my fave outfit if I do? Link on page 9!

I love this thread for the same reason as you! I've been looking for a place to discuss lolita with people who aren't super full of it and are close minded. I call them brand-whores. They're people who only care about buying $400 dresses from BTSSB and Angelic Pretty. They don't even really have a fashion sense. It's one thing when you buy expensive things from brands and just wear those with some matching accessories, it's another when you can take something reminiscent of the fashion and completely convert it(like me, I'm still altering things, I'm not quite good at sewing yet) or sew something yourself.

Hope you like this time on the thread as much as I do!

User Image

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
-claps hands and giggles- I didn't think anyone would take into consideration on what I had to say, heh heh. I was being a big blabbermouth. O x O

Your only 13? Sorry I just think it's cute, the maturity level of your typing is like that of an big person! I'm 19 but most wouldn't think. Oh and don't confuse my gender with my name, I am a girl but I have a guys name! (at least the spelling of it)

And I agree with what your saying aboout brand-names. I really wanted the bunny from BTSSB but when I converted it into american dollars, it was 87 dollars!!! gonk
So yeah I would never wanna buy something so expensive that someone else made, I only bought dresses dress from ebay once and thats because it was my prom dress and I had no sewing machine to work with plus mine would look like crap since I didnt know how to sew, and also the fact the anime convention that I was attending to was a few days later after prom is which is why I bought the other dress. (Chi's white gown) The picture of the dresses are in my profile too. :'D

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Oh and question on dress skirts, when making the bottom part of the skirt, how do you get the bell-shaped bottoms instead of an A-shaped bottom?

Sparkly Cat

8,775 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
Has anyone currently still around tried the petti tutorial linked on the first page? I'm trying to find a super fluffy (a la AP) petti tutorial.

And, FYI, we're not all brand whores in the other thread. =B
User Image

@ 8bit--

To get a bell-shapes you need tons of gathers. A-line, or princess-line, is usually achieved through either a trapazoid shaped gathered skirt or a paneled skirt. Bellshapes you need like SUPERSUPER gathered waist.

@ Hooseki--

I made the tutorial. It's not super-fluffy, it's just a bit of a poof... I layer them, and use extra layers of tulle. It's using the pattern in GosuRori, of which there are manyyyy. like four in each volume. and they are generic.

Buttt they work~! heart

Sparkly Cat

8,775 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
Thank you so much for the info! :3 I've heard pettis are so easy to make, so I'd much rather do that than buy one. D:

I need to get my hands on some GosuRori mags. I have some of the English GLBs, but misplaced them when I moved. Of course, now that I only can locate one, I'm dying to sew. D;
Because Im a king ♫

Ah! I love this thread already. Thank god its not overly crowded with stuck up people like in the other one.^^. Its already given me an idea and some inspiration for what kind of dress I want for my senior prom. I think I might end up going with the whole Hime lollita. Yes, I plan on going to my senior prom next year, in a lollita dress. Actually, its not just me, its me and my friend. I cinsider it to be a creative way to end my senior year with a BANG! And all this is thanks to my obsession over lollita outfits. Now, I plan on making my own dress and hopefully everything comes out okay, since I am going to be teaching myself how to sew. So, besides the advice I recieved from Ladeh No Name, on making the dress's out of cotton,(Thankies by the way ^^) is there anyting else I should possibly know before I actually go out and buy the fabrics for the dress I plan on making? If so, please let me know. Thanks.~

Because Im a king ♫
Hooseki
Has anyone currently still around tried the petti tutorial linked on the first page? I'm trying to find a super fluffy (a la AP) petti tutorial.

And, FYI, we're not all brand whores in the other thread. =B
User Image

I know.

User Image
User Image

Pettis are SUPEReasy. Just an elasticized waist, no zipper needed, and TONNNS of gathering. Like, A lot.

smile

Gosurori is great, because, even though it's all in Japanese, unlike the GLB all of the instructions are also in IMAGES. It's wonderful for anyone who isn't perfectly fluent in Japanese. Also, you need not use the large pattern sheet... the patterns are all drawn out in mini-scale with all the measurements there, so you can easily figure out how to replicate it on big paper to cut it out. biggrin

So yes, I suggest buy tons of Gosurori. I have vol. 7-13. Vol 14 just came out, need to get it. razz

EDIT: Buy Gosurori 14? :3

Gosurori...GLB...half a dozen others...can somebody give me a rundown on all (okay, maybe not ALL) the usefull book thingies and the differences between them, and whether the English versions are ever worth buying? Oh, and what are the scans on Janchan's website from? Are there more? Where can I find them? -becomes rabid-

And to Ladeh from a while ago,

Gotcha. No horizontal stripes.

Part of what perplexes me isn't so much color matching (though I don't have the guts to do it with anything but black and red) but how a pattern is going to look on the dress. Some people will do skirts with, like, ponies on them, and I wonder how you know that putting the little ponies into pleats isn't going to change them into bizarre mutated monsters. Or something along those lines.

Sparkly Cat

8,775 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Wall Street 200
@ Ladeh:

Pictures are great. I can't read a word of Japanese. I should probably stop being lazy and get myself to a local store that sometimes stocks GLBs and GosuRori.

@ Master:

I haven't seen a Japanese GosuRori or GLB in person, but I do like the English GLBs. It's really nice being able to read all the articles. ^^;
User Image

GLB: Gothic Lolita Bible. A mook that has few patterns, maybe four in each volume. Contains articles and LOTs of advertising. Interviews with singers or designers, articles on the news on lolita fashion world. Some articles on doing hair/makeup. In Japanese. Published quarterly. Includes full-sized pattern sheet. All patterns are in one size. (supersmall lol) over 30 volumes. 35 maybe? can't member.

GLB Engrish: English publication of the GLB. All in english. Contains patterns from older volumes, but many new articles and advertisement spreads. Converted to fit the tastes of non-japanese girls more. But still good, for reading articles. Not so much patterns. 5 volumes.

GosuRori: Only in Japanese. A sewing mook. Half of the pages are pictures of the made patterns and advertisements, plus little picture how-tos, and accessory pages. Some have make-up and hair tutorials. The other half of the pages are all the patterns. Patterns come in four different sizes, S M L LL. But those are Japanese, so more like... XXS, XS, S, M for Americans. Short Americans. Easily modified. Most instructions are also done in drawings, with the patterns drawn out mini-scale with all measurements put in. Includes full-sized pattern sheet. Around 20 or so full outfits in each volume. (I think.) Full outfits may include, Dress, Skirt/blouse, hats, hair accessories, headdresses, etc all in one pattern thing. Coordinates. smile Up through vol. 14 has been published.

The Janchan scans are GosuRori. Most are from vol. 3 and 4, very hard to find. I'm working on it myself, lol. I think Amazon may have some used ones.

They all cost around 20$.

ALSOO&--

Truthfully, it depends on the pattern. If you have a large pattern, with super big ponies along the border, pleats are a badddd. Though if you have a smaller pattern, more delicate, or a solid, or a plaid. Pleats are okay. With a large border pattern, a rectangle (like my tutorial) gathered skirt is a better idea. Also, linear or simple patterns are best for panel skirts.

Yeah. I'm done for to-day. *pant*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces