Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Witch

I've been looking at unpaper towels, which are cloth rags with snaps that you can attach so that they roll up like paper towels. I decided I could maybe make some out of an old towel that I have. It's a standard bath towel, nothing special.

Buuuut everything I see online is telling me not to use a bath towel because the ends will fray once it's been cut. I don't have a sewing machine, so any sewing I do would be by hand. Is there any way to secure the edges of the cut-up towel pieces so that they don't fray?

Interesting Gawker

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
You could try cutting them with pinking shears. It won't stop it from fraying, but it will stop it from completely fraying.
If you don't mind taking the time to sew by hand, bias binding would definitely look nice and stop any fraying. You could also enclose the edges by sewing two together on all sides.

Profitable Prophet

You could try hem tape, or an iron-on equivalent. It won't be as secure as sewing after a while though.

Beloved Warlord

Honestly the best thing would to be to sew them.

You could also use like was suggested before a iron on hem tape.

Also make sure you get snaps that will not rust.

Shameless Lunatic

you can hem the towel by hand, that's what i would suggest.

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
The only problem with using the iron on hem tape is that after you wash it 5 or 6 times, it starts to come apart.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff