• God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
Goodbye, Hello

Deus-ex Potato

55,475 Points
  • not released 500
  • God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
oooooEarth, by far, was one of the most fascinating worlds I had visited in all of my Void-hopping years. It was filled with an intelligent race with many flaws. These flaws did not necessarily hold back these people; rather, I thought it made them unique.

oooooUnlike other worlds with civilizations built around efficiency, striving for perfection, and survival -- like my own -- these were people who focused simply on living. It was inefficient altruism to the most extreme extent. Leisure and pleasure were important. Morals were valued highly in their society. Instead of pursuing what could make their race better suited to their world's harsh environments, they pursued what could make their race better suited for happiness. Find ways to become the fastest, the strongest, or the most enduring of all creatures were technicalities compared to efforts be gracious and kind to one another. Differences and disabilities were accepted instead of ignored or destroyed. Vanity was a game. Bodily pleasures were pastimes. Everything was done to strive for enjoyment, and I enjoyed observing them. I was not always able to watch quietly and contently though. Like I said, humans were determined to make their world better for all, and that included me -- not even knowing who or what I was. Not knowing that I did not belong at their side.

oooooCompanionship was valued highly, but they did not form alliances based on the most favourable traits for survival. Rather, they formed relationships based on the most baseless and unimportant things: emotions, beauty, humour. Correlations between these criteria were nonexistent. The prettiest humans were not always the most intelligent. The prettiest humans were not always the most ignorant. The prettiest humans were not always the kindest. The prettiest humans were not always the meanest. The makeup of a human personality was like blindly throwing ingredients into a bowl. No two humans were ever the same. And no kind of human necessarily always showed particular behaviours, habits, likings, dislikings. Awareness. They made many mistakes in choosing their companions, and much to my surprise (and pain), so did I.

oooooThere were very few I met during my time on Earth that I could consider a "companion." And if I ever felt one was worthy of that title, I never returned to their side fast enough to see them leave the world. On my first few visits to this world, I didn't understood human behaviour. They were always running about. Worrying. Planning events in advance. I never knew until I left and returned to find those I considered worthy of companionship gone. The human lifespan was short. Time was short. It was precious to them. And the more time I spent with them, the more I found myself mimicking their rushed habits -- there would never be enough time. So why waste it meticulously waiting for perfect companions? It was better to move forward and suffer injury than stand still and fall behind.

Deus-ex Potato

55,475 Points
  • not released 500
  • God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
oooooI did not only visit Earth once; I visited many times. Countless times. Every time I returned, I took on a different identity. I did not belong in that world. Their world could not understand me, and in attempt to decipher me, it cloaked me in its ideas and theories -- like a mask. A costume. This world did not allow me to intrude upon it and disturb its inhabitants with ideas completely normal to me, but ludicrous to them. This, I accepted temporarily. I did not believe myself to be able to stoop so low to the human level to form human attachments. This was the irony of finding myself indulging in what was considered right and what was considered wrong -- becoming angry at those who would commit acts that were seen as monstrous and -- dare I say -- inhuman. Praising those humans who were kind and selfless. I deluded myself into believing that these thoughts were harmless. The moment I believed this was the moment I was beyond recovery.

oooooHumans possess organs within their bodies called "hearts." It is a fleshy object as big as their fists -- small. Yet it is the organ that keeps them alive, pumping their blood through their bodies. Without the heart to circulate blood, humans could not survive.

oooooBut this is just one heart. Apparently, there is another. Two hearts, humans can have. One is the tangible object I described. The other is an invisible and untouchable entity. Some humans have this second heart, and some don't. This heart is more important than the other. Not having this heart is equivalent to not owning any heart at all. It breaks frequently. It is torn on a daily basis. It can be crushed easily. It is a burden to possess, yet all humans want -- need one. A human only knows that they have this heart when they feel it. Though it is formless and intangible, it carries a force that can affect the human body greatly. This heart has the power to squeeze the chest and make it hard to breathe. It can tighten the throat. It can cause the body to heat up rapidly. It can cause something called "tears" to run from the eyes. Tears are the least physically painful thing the heart can inflict on the body, but the effect it has on the mind is astonishing. It can stop thoughts completely or cause the mind to shut down. When this happens, a human enters their weakest state.

oooooThe first time I experienced this weakness was the last time I experienced it. I do not remember ever feeling as helpless and as prone to death as I did in that moment. Needless to say, I was not keen on causing myself to suffer in that way again, but it was too late to turn back. The damage had been done. Just for a second, I belonged in that world. Just for a second, I was human.

Deus-ex Potato

55,475 Points
  • not released 500
  • God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
oooooThere were several points in the past when I thought about revealing myself to him as he stood on the roof of the school, but every time I thought I would approach, he would give up and leave. Every day after school ended and the staff had gone home, he would sneak onto the grounds and find some way to reach the empty area on top of the tallest building on the campus. There, he would lean on the rails and look up into the sky, waiting for something; I never did figure out what it was he was looking for. Most of the time, I just sat in the sky behind him and watched, always too far in the darkness and too high in the air for him to notice me. I would have been lying if I said that I that didn't want him to turn around and see me one day; that was actually my entire reason for being there. We knew each other, but he knew me by a different identity; he knew me by my human guise before I had died that lifetime and returned home to my world. I never expected to come back to Earth in time to see him still alive. In past experiences, new generations had passed between each return. The time between my current and last visit to this world had only been a few years.

oooooHe was a strange child. Docile. Fierce-looking, but weak-willed. Many of his peers picked on him because they feared him, and he never fought back. I had a feeling that he had the capability to defend himself, but he never took action against them. It was as if he didn't want to give them more of a reason to be afraid of him. And, because of this mindset, he endured his abuse. These children, however, were cruel beings. Time only intensified the brutality. On the last few days of my previous visit to this world, I found him bleeding profusely in an empty part of the school. I'd have though he was dead if I didn't know how secretly resilient he was. I brought him to the school infirmary and did my best to clean and patch his wounds -- where the nurse had gone, I didn't know, but there was no time to waste. When I had become so compassionate? He was the first individual I assisted without reward, and I was questioning my actions by the time I left him. Why did I step in? What good did that do me?

He always wore a scarf (personal taste, I supposed), but the one he wore was thoroughly soiled by dirt and his own blood; I had to throw it out, and I left my own as a gift. Again, why I did so was beyond my own understanding. Perhaps it was out of what humans called "the goodness of one's heart."

oooooI perished within the next few days. It seemed like those who dehumanized that boy did not take kindly to my selflessness. As I said before, they were cruel. The last thing I remembered seeing as I fell to my death was that strange child looking into the sky from the same roof I observe him on in today.

oooooI do not deny wondering whether or not he would recognize me for who I am now. My existence in his world is a new discovery. Though I do not know how I did it yet, I managed to return without being influenced by the world's ideas. I returned to Earth in the purity of myself, as my own race within my own body. Because I am what I am though, those who cannot understand my foreignness cannot see me. Those who can see me and claim to see me are called crazy or inasne. Out of their minds. I pity them, but I also pity myself. To be deemed a hallucination is suffering. To speak, but not be heard, to be seen, but not be believed in. That is true torture.

oooooIf I stepped forth, would he see me? If he could see me, would he believe in me? Would he believe my words and be able to connect me to who I was in the past?
ooooo"Reincarnation" is what it is called, I believe.
oooooSame individual. Another life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces