Welcome to Gaia! ::

ITT: Staples in yugioh decks. Why do those of you who play yugioh feel the need to put cards like dark hole, lightning vortex, mirror force, etc. in every deck you make? Logical arguments only, not "To make my opponent mad", "just in case ___", "to make my deck faster", or simply "to win". Also, please no raging or trolling. I know how some of you feel about your staples, and how many of you would gun down someone for simply thinking of this. I have been down that road, and have found no answers. I am willing to provide my opinions on this matter if we get into it.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"in these ten years,
I've become an exorcist..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

if you're discussing the Yugioh CCG you should be using Table Top Gaming in Gaming Discussion, not the AMC.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"and I've learned how to
exterminate fellow demons..."

"all so I could kill you once and for all...!!"

Wealthy Explorer

This belongs in the table-top gaming forum.
EDIT: Well since that's already been established. . . In tournaments you want to win. Taking advantage of effective, reliable, and easy-to-use cards is the only way to do that while going against other people who do the same thing. That's why they're staples in the first place.
Playing for fun is one thing. Playing to win is something else entirely.
I think it's sorta' cause if I don't use them, and they do, then I'm putting myself at a disadvantage, I don't know, I don't use those cards in my real deck, and I really only play against my one friend. XD It's certainly not a strategy at all, I understand that, but if you're at a higher level of playing, those cards are not too tough to handle.
well not necessarily. u see, there are staples that can be used in any deck...and then there are themed staples. ones that can be used in specific decks. Ex: A Six Samurai deck. There are plenty of card in there that require a Six Samurai to be on the field. The card "Six Style - Dual Wield" is a great example. if the only monster u control is a six samurai, u can bounce 2 cards on ur opponent's side of the field to their owner's hand. It's a card that can really make ur opponent angry, but it's only for a six samurai deck.

there are other cards like that also like nordic cards, gusto cards, naturia cards, fabled cards, etc.

The Spectacular Insomniac
EDIT: Well since that's already been established. . . In tournaments you want to win. Taking advantage of effective, reliable, and easy-to-use cards is the only way to do that while going against other people who do the same thing. That's why they're staples in the first place.

Kitten

Because they are very useful and I don't ever see them as a dead draw.
The Spectacular Insomniac

Also, you obviously have not played against decks like gusto, ice barrier, fabled, nordic, etc. that dont need these cards. These decks can be incredibly hard to beat, as they will negate or get around the effects of most staples, forcing you to actually use strategy to win against them.

Tipsy Loiterer

Why would you not play the best cards? A card becomes a staple for a reason, it's the general best at what it does.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Staples are staples.

Simply because MOST, not all, but MOST, decks can benefit from them. They have universally 'splashable' effects, that are not specific to any particular deck type. Or the cards have uses that fit any style or deck type without hindering the deck.

Of course there are a lot of cards that mimic the staples but are specific. In which case they are used where appropriate. It's just that the Staples fit most decks and in many cases are far easier to get and put into play without circumstancial situations being had.

Which is why nearly everyone sees fit to put them. Not all sometimes, maybe just some. It depends on the deck. They are generally good place holders for other things that may later come out that are deck specific.

But in short they are used cause they are good. Good enough to fit in nearly any deck and provide advantage. Do you need them all? Probably not. Does every deck benefit? Some can do without many or any, depending on the deck. But in general they are good cards that have few limitation in their use, and thus compatible with any number of potential decks. Cause not all decks have means to duplicate the 'staples' or have cards with superior effects. The staples allow you access then to the same things as other players or decks.

Of course the staples change with every format. And depending on what's being played or popular you may find the staples.. being fewer. It's just right common decks can support a number of different staples easily [Refering to Chaos monsters, a fair mix of light and dark monsters in many deck types allows for easy use of them]

Mythical Rare

Tomoya_Okazaki_Eternal
Also, you obviously have not played against decks like gusto, ice barrier, fabled, nordic, etc. that dont need these cards. These decks can be incredibly hard to beat, as they will negate or get around the effects of most staples, forcing you to actually use strategy to win against them.

Or just use the superior speed and versatility of decks not tied down to an archetype to squash them before they can get much going.

Also, just because a deck doesn't need a staple doesn't mean it doesn't benefit more from having them. Take an Amazoness Deck, for example. They can work with Amazoness Willpower, but that doesn't change the fact that Call of the Haunted is a far better option.

Profitable Prophet

For my deck, I always use 2 Marshmallons, and 3 Sanctuaries. If I couple that with Arcana Force 0, I have 2 cards that are indestructible by battle (One possibly by opponent's card effects), and no way for them to inflict battle damage.If I add in a Marshmallon Glasses and Kristya, There's no way they can special summon or attack.

Marshmallon is a definite staple.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Indestrucble by battle helps you not
there is enough spell/monster hate to remove any defenders.. and then it's a simple matter of overrunning. Or Bouncing or what not your defenders.

Depending on where you play maybe it's fairly staple. But the days where it was a good staple aren't around anymore. Blackwings saw to it's decline with teh ease of piercing. Even now not too much piercing about but one can easily pop something to remove it or the defending support.

Business Guildsman

8,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
How is because they win games not a logical argument?

Mythical Rare

Dark Hunter Akala

This may be the most important question in this thread, in all honesty.

The simple fact of the matter is, staples become staples because they work efficiently in a vast majority of decks. They have proven their worth time and again over the years, they form a solid base to start building a deck on, and, in many cases, they're quite easy to get a hold of. Mystical Space Typhoon, for example, has been reprinted as a Common card in over 15 Starter/Structure Decks.

You asked for logical reasons to include staple cards in your deck...but let's be real here; is there a logical reason not to?
Because many other cards win games. Any monster with any amount of attack could win a game.

Dark Hunter Akala

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff