<3 </3

Who Sucks...

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 1, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

btdmh
My vote : paladin.

Never before (and I am betting never after) have I encountered a single class that causes so much havoc and problems in a group of mutual companion characters (or players for that matter) as the paladin. Compounded by the fact I think they are the most cause-a-fight-among-players prone class in the game because no one can really agree on what a paladin is supposed to do, and above that exactely what "you must be lawful good" actually means. It is like discussing religion to people, it always seems to get out of hand, too convoluted to be anything resembling fun.
have you ever played a paliden? have you ever seen a paliden of the sword? do you just play in games with chaotic nutril players?or evil charecters? have you ever played in a campain with a player that knows what ther doing with a pally? stressed
Nathanial_18
Have you ever played a paladin? Have you ever seen a paladin of the sword? Do you just play in games with chaotic neutral characters? Or evil characters? Have you ever played in a campaign with a player that knows what they're doing with a pally? stressed

Hello there, Captain Miss-The-Point. He's saying that paladins have an heavy tendency to cause inter-party problems because they're usually so inflexible, and holier than thou. In my experience, there tends to be three types of paladin: the Ping-and-Smite paladin (if it's evil, attack it regardless of situation), the Lawful Stupid paladin that's so upstanding that it seems to cloud their ability to think, and the rare few paladins that actually seem to have half a brain in their heads and can be reasonable and think their way around tricky issues without always falling back on immediate violence. And Btdmh does have a very valid point about the problem of interpretation when it comes to the paladin. Paladins by definition have to be lawful good or they lose their abilities. Problem is the boundaries for what qualifies as lawful good will be different from person to person. To the point where it's almost assumed that a paladin WILL lose their status at some point in their career, just as a point of course... which is just plain wrong. Flat out, paladins have the most 'personal issues' automatically bundled with them of any of the classes. I mean it's not like a rogue risks losing his rogue abilities if he fails to live up to some abstraction of proper roguishness.

Oh, and what the heck is a "paladin of the sword", anyway?
I vote on several, for all different reasons.

Paladin: I ******** hate that holier-than-thou attitude that goes along with someone who is LG, is always LG, and thinks you're only one step away from CE if you aren't LG. Granted, all Paladin's may not be this way, but a well RPed one usually will be. And yes, I have played a Paladin, and enjoyed it. We were in Ravenloft even, making for REALLY fun moral dilemmas all over the place.

Bard: The only Bard worth playing is the one voiced by Cary Elwes. 'Nuff said.

Cleric: I don't like having to be devout to utilize positive energy. It's ridiculous. Plus, no spell failure, even though they have somatic components? Bullshit!

Barbarian: I hate combat monkeys, especially Barbarians. Fighters I can usually live with, since they tend more to the finesse end of combat, but a combat monkey like a Barbarian is annoying.

Monk: D&D monks have no place in a standard D&D setting. D&D is primarily based off of medievil Europe, and the only monks there were the beer inventing/drinking, self-flagellating, celibate kind. Monks belong in an Oriental setting. Plus, they're mage-killers, and I play mages 90% of the time. 'Nuff said.

That's pretty much it. I like the other classes, even though I don't often play them. I could list the reasons I dislike them as well, but we'll just stick to the ones I truly hate. For now.
Peddy
Nathanial_18
Have you ever played a paladin? Have you ever seen a paladin of the sword? Do you just play in games with chaotic neutral characters? Or evil characters? Have you ever played in a campaign with a player that knows what they're doing with a pally? stressed

Hello there, Captain Miss-The-Point. He's saying that paladins have an heavy tendency to cause inter-party problems because they're usually so inflexible, and holier than thou. In my experience, there tends to be three types of paladin: the Ping-and-Smite paladin (if it's evil, attack it regardless of situation), the Lawful Stupid paladin that's so upstanding that it seems to cloud their ability to think, and the rare few paladins that actually seem to have half a brain in their heads and can be reasonable and think their way around tricky issues without always falling back on immediate violence. And Btdmh does have a very valid point about the problem of interpretation when it comes to the paladin. Paladins by definition have to be lawful good or they lose their abilities. Problem is the boundaries for what qualifies as lawful good will be different from person to person. To the point where it's almost assumed that a paladin WILL lose their status at some point in their career, just as a point of course... which is just plain wrong. Flat out, paladins have the most 'personal issues' automatically bundled with them of any of the classes. I mean it's not like a rogue risks losing his rogue abilities if he fails to live up to some abstraction of proper roguishness.

Oh, and what the heck is a "paladin of the sword", anyway?
the roles of lawful good and its paramiters should be explained before a campain is started so everyon does not overstep there bondrys on good and evil dependent on the campain settings and the dm. a paliden of the sword is coverd in definders of the faith they are palidens of none noble blood and tend to not be as anale atentive more laxed in the way they go about things they dont just go smite happy they are like jedi they get all the information furst befor charging into battle. plus there are other alternatives to being a paliden that is coverd in dragon magazine issue 310 that have (sentinal: neutral good) (Avenger: chaotic good) (enforcer: lawful neutral) (incarnate: Neutral) (anarch: chaotic neutral) smile
Nathanial_18
have you ever played a paliden? have you ever seen a paliden of the sword? do you just play in games with chaotic nutril players?or evil charecters? have you ever played in a campain with a player that knows what ther doing with a pally? stressed

Yes. No. No. No. And yes.
Still dont like them. Your reaction points out my reasoning behind it perfectly! Thank you.
Nathanial_18
the roles of lawful good and its paramiters should be explained before a campain is started so everyon does not overstep there bondrys on good and evil dependent on the campain settings and the dm.
I couldn't agree with you more. Absolutly, they should be spelled out beforehand, particularly if someone is considdering playing a paladin.

...and as a side note, 'anally attentive' has me giggling like a schoolgirl. I'm so immature some times.
btdmh
Nathanial_18

Yes. No. No. No. And yes.
Still dont like them. Your reaction points out my reasoning behind it perfectly! Thank you.
sorry i just like having any and all information before debating about a subject and thank you for answering my questions i just dont think people should bad mouth a class unleass they have tried it for them selves and know what they are talking about.
Peddy
Nathanial_18
the roles of lawful good and its paramiters should be explained before a campain is started so everyon does not overstep there bondrys on good and evil dependent on the campain settings and the dm.
I couldn't agree with you more. Absolutly, they should be spelled out beforehand, particularly if someone is considdering playing a paladin.

...and as a side note, 'anally attentive' has me giggling like a schoolgirl. I'm so immature some times.
thank you im just a stanch d&d player, my one problem is with people who think the books are set in stone when in truth they are just gidelines the players and dm have the final say so whene it comes to rules. and thanks for the complement whee im glad im not the only one who thinks it's funny blaugh
Nathanial_18
sorry i just like having any and all information before debating about a subject and thank you for answering my questions i just dont think people should bad mouth a class unleass they have tried it for them selves and know what they are talking about.

No biggie. Been at DnD for 17 years now, I have actually been through the paladin "thing" several times now. It should be noted I know a couple of people who could really role play a paladin well ... if they werent busy taking their characters down a path of self-gratification and/or pillaging ... sweatdrop
btdmh
Nathanial_18

No biggie. Been at DnD for 17 years now, I have actually been through the paladin "thing" several times now. It should be noted I know a couple of people who could really role play a paladin well ... if they werent busy taking their characters down a path of self-gratification and/or pillaging ... sweatdrop
lol cool then 3nodding ive tried many classes and there just my favorit no matter what but sions make a close second biggrin
Have to say the "worst" class has to be the sorcerer. I love the class it-self, but it mechanics were soo not really balance to match up with what a wizard can do. When I look at the class of sorcerer I see flavor. I can always write up a decent story that goes behide one better then an wizard any day, but the stats just dont measure up! My two cents!
-Bard06

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces