Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
corinth98
if your going fortitude, level 3 is a good start... but the end goal is always aegis. I will warn you however, if your known to have a high level, you will be pushed into the front line of every combat. Firearms are ok... if you can get the right type of ammo. For that i recommend you invest in background activities to build up either police or so other influence which will get you tracer type rounds.

how does your character fair in protean now?
my background gives me connections to police/army, and i'm hoping to get dragon fire shells and tracers for aggravated damage. and for now he is still technically a human (i've got my vamp stats but no access to disciplines) the the storyteller is having us start as humans first then when we become vampire were level 1 in our clan diciplines

Blessed Raider

ahh ok, so your all starting from scratch as a coterie from the sounds of it. There is less backstabbing to worry about then. Your going to want to focus on the fortitude then, since your going to have access to the rounds. This will also allow you to teach your coterie mates and give them survivability in the ahead chronicle.

avoid protean for a while, since you sound kinda new to the game... protean is one of the biggest possible breaching disciplines... humans kinda freak out to see glowing eyes, wolves claws, melding into the earth, transforming in a beast, or turning to mist... just saying smile

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
corinth98
ahh ok, so your all starting from scratch as a coterie from the sounds of it. There is less backstabbing to worry about then. Your going to want to focus on the fortitude then, since your going to have access to the rounds. This will also allow you to teach your coterie mates and give them survivability in the ahead chronicle.

avoid protean for a while, since you sound kinda new to the game... protean is one of the biggest possible breaching disciplines... humans kinda freak out to see glowing eyes, wolves claws, melding into the earth, transforming in a beast, or turning to mist... just saying smile
i know i would, i'm starting to get worried about the group at this point. i haven't talked to the storyteller in like two weeks...oh well. if i have to find a new group i think i'll roll up a more socially inclined gangrel instead of a pile of meat

Blessed Raider

generally a good idea if you join a new group. The stereotypical gangrel whom runs around in the forests is so overdone.

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
corinth98
generally a good idea if you join a new group. The stereotypical gangrel whom runs around in the forests is so overdone.
it seems like the thing you have to do eventually though...after enough frenzies anyways

Blessed Raider

and that is why animalism is your friend, remember what i said about the animals to throw your beast into... that will prevent the bestial nature coming forth. Sadly, most focus on the battle abilities of the gangrel... and then after the fact, once they realize they are in trouble with appearances... seek other ways.

Unbeatable Strategist

My wife played an urban gangrel, who was a street-hunter. Avoided the wilderness like the plague unless she had a reason to go into the wild. The urban/city gangrel is typically a bloodline of sabbat, but bloodline is bloodline, if your ST is willing to allow it, I find urban/city gangrel to be generally more effective than the default type of country gangrel, if only due to their mentality already allowing them to adopt to the streets instead of the aforementioned clan stereotype about running around in the wilderness. In the case of my wife's character, she was the team scout, avoiding combat if it could be helped, but could hold her own against most foes if need be (often preferring the stealth ambush, to get the drop on any trouble she could see coming, which couldn't be avoided by the cotorie otherwise).

As someone else already said, frenzy is not your friend, and this is a good point as frenzy leads to loss of humanity, and deformation of your character's appearance. However, frenzy "can" be utilized effectively if your character is in a sink or swim situation, especially If you are playing by 20th anniversary rules, the gangrel clan flaw is a little more forgiving (the animalistic traits you take, fade after a few (nights/weeks/months, ST's discretion, they ultimately aren't permanent). It is my understanding that a self induced frenzy (Purposely awakening one's own beast gives the vampire "some" measure of control over their activities by expenditure of willpower, which can make a difference when your surrounded, or need to overcome seemingly overwhelming odds. I point this out now because the "bezerker" status is typically reserved for brujah, however, a tactically intelligent gangrel can take it a step farther with the claws accessible by protean (which according to the description, are capable of slicing through solid steel), protean at later levels can allow for flight (bat form, owl form, raven form etc etc - You don't necessarily have to turn into a bat, though you should have a dedicated flight form), and the ability to phase though anything that has so much as a crack in it (mist form). Even still, while under a frenzy with protean active to any levels, still gives you the benefits of protean claws whenever you need to extend them, while allowing you to ignore wound penalties due to a frenzy. This can help under the situational circumstance that while in a frenzy (if it is self induced), the vampire will attack assailants before they turn on their cotorie.

As far as other disciplines go, obfuscate is your friend, anyway the coin lands, country or city. Being overlooked, or being thought of as nothing special can often be a benefit to your character, eavesdropping on conversations, moving around without drawing unwanted attention, or being able to deftly slip out of hot spots with the police hot on the trail of investigating the area of where a body was found. So long as you don't have anyone actively seeking your character out, your presence is overlooked. This "can" work on animals as well in some cases, vanish from the mind's eye is one of the best ways to emphasize stealth based characters. Of course, fortitude never hurts either if you know your going to frequently be faced with aggressive situations, so it comes to picking your poison (obfuscate can also be utilized to conceal frenzy deformations if need be).

Animalism vs celerity is a point of interest as well, for if your not going to be a country gangrel, you become less "hardy" and more "swift", you may lose fortitude to obfuscate, but in place of animalism, you would receive celerity. Animalism can always be bought later on as it still is prominent within the gangrel blood, it just wouldn't be a discipline you start with. The factor of blood expenditure associated with celeity also should be considered, how often your character feeds, how they approach situations, will they be making use of many animals around them? If not, then you may want to consider going city-gangrel. Otherwise, animalism has it's merits as well, sending nearby creatures into fits of rage (though this won't do much against other vampires, or anything with armor for that matter). Using animals as extensions of one's self to spy upon mortals during the day, or whatnot have you can be beneficial as well.

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dorian
My wife played an urban gangrel, who was a street-hunter. Avoided the wilderness like the plague unless she had a reason to go into the wild. The urban/city gangrel is typically a bloodline of sabbat, but bloodline is bloodline, if your ST is willing to allow it, I find urban/city gangrel to be generally more effective than the default type of country gangrel, if only due to their mentality already allowing them to adopt to the streets instead of the aforementioned clan stereotype about running around in the wilderness. In the case of my wife's character, she was the team scout, avoiding combat if it could be helped, but could hold her own against most foes if need be (often preferring the stealth ambush, to get the drop on any trouble she could see coming, which couldn't be avoided by the cotorie otherwise).

As someone else already said, frenzy is not your friend, and this is a good point as frenzy leads to loss of humanity, and deformation of your character's appearance. However, frenzy "can" be utilized effectively if your character is in a sink or swim situation, especially If you are playing by 20th anniversary rules, the gangrel clan flaw is a little more forgiving (the animalistic traits you take, fade after a few (nights/weeks/months, ST's discretion, they ultimately aren't permanent). It is my understanding that a self induced frenzy (Purposely awakening one's own beast gives the vampire "some" measure of control over their activities by expenditure of willpower, which can make a difference when your surrounded, or need to overcome seemingly overwhelming odds. I point this out now because the "bezerker" status is typically reserved for brujah, however, a tactically intelligent gangrel can take it a step farther with the claws accessible by protean (which according to the description, are capable of slicing through solid steel), protean at later levels can allow for flight (bat form, owl form, raven form etc etc - You don't necessarily have to turn into a bat, though you should have a dedicated flight form), and the ability to phase though anything that has so much as a crack in it (mist form). Even still, while under a frenzy with protean active to any levels, still gives you the benefits of protean claws whenever you need to extend them, while allowing you to ignore wound penalties due to a frenzy. This can help under the situational circumstance that while in a frenzy (if it is self induced), the vampire will attack assailants before they turn on their cotorie.

As far as other disciplines go, obfuscate is your friend, anyway the coin lands, country or city. Being overlooked, or being thought of as nothing special can often be a benefit to your character, eavesdropping on conversations, moving around without drawing unwanted attention, or being able to deftly slip out of hot spots with the police hot on the trail of investigating the area of where a body was found. So long as you don't have anyone actively seeking your character out, your presence is overlooked. This "can" work on animals as well in some cases, vanish from the mind's eye is one of the best ways to emphasize stealth based characters. Of course, fortitude never hurts either if you know your going to frequently be faced with aggressive situations, so it comes to picking your poison (obfuscate can also be utilized to conceal frenzy deformations if need be).

Animalism vs celerity is a point of interest as well, for if your not going to be a country gangrel, you become less "hardy" and more "swift", you may lose fortitude to obfuscate, but in place of animalism, you would receive celerity. Animalism can always be bought later on as it still is prominent within the gangrel blood, it just wouldn't be a discipline you start with. The factor of blood expenditure associated with celeity also should be considered, how often your character feeds, how they approach situations, will they be making use of many animals around them? If not, then you may want to consider going city-gangrel. Otherwise, animalism has it's merits as well, sending nearby creatures into fits of rage (though this won't do much against other vampires, or anything with armor for that matter). Using animals as extensions of one's self to spy upon mortals during the day, or whatnot have you can be beneficial as well.
right now i'm working on a scout build that uses ghouls which if i'm right about ghouling i can get away with 4 rats for 1 blood point (i'm not sure if it's per night/week/month though...all my sources seem to disagree) and also i could get 2 small birds (i like crows for this) for 1 bloodpoint (per night/ect.) useing animalism to turn them into scout's tools (also the rules for attacking swarms of things {like rats} are weird so that could be an advantage)

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
now if i could only find a group to play with...

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Bijor Brightsnow
and that is why animalism is your friend, remember what i said about the animals to throw your beast into... that will prevent the bestial nature coming forth. Sadly, most focus on the battle abilities of the gangrel... and then after the fact, once they realize they are in trouble with appearances... seek other ways.
live like an animal for a while then go live with the Nosferatu is what your saying?

Blessed Raider

that is the usual result for older gangrel, and why the nosferatu are generally on friendly terms which them. Its the fact that many of the blood have to hide, as the nos do.

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Bijor Brightsnow
that is the usual result for older gangrel, and why the nosferatu are generally on friendly terms which them. Its the fact that many of the blood have to hide, as the nos do.
i like that the Nos are on good terms with the gangrel, seems like most of the other clans look at them like rabid dogs

Blessed Raider

yep, its because they share the bestial side of the kindred... well, in terms of it taking a physical appearance on there forms. Just remember lol... trust no one, its a game of deceit after all.

Ruthless Survivor

9,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Bijor Brightsnow
yep, its because they share the bestial side of the kindred... well, in terms of it taking a physical appearance on there forms. Just remember lol... trust no one, its a game of deceit after all.
still, it's nice to be able to sit in a hole and be fugly together, also would it be terrible to name a vampire Abel and take the dark fate flaw?

Unbeatable Strategist

eternalmist
Bijor Brightsnow
still, it's nice to be able to sit in a hole and be fugly together, also would it be terrible to name a vampire Abel and take the dark fate flaw?

Symbolic, a vampire named able, destined to die.. But I'd figure it would be more interesting to have a wraith ally (2 point merit if I recall) called Abel. As I recall, Abel was technically the first wraith..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff