Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedcadent Pants

No, but I'm sure going to be looking them up now. I like those.

Bashful Browser

I'm interested in Edric, Spymaster of Trest:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119193&d=1306725911

In the right deck seems like he'd supply you with a steady stream of cards while giving your opponents incentive to hit each other and not you. Also, the evasive weenie style that Edric lends himself to isn't likely to be the most threatening thing at a given table.
I kinda want to combo him up with green and blue creatures that do this kind of thing anyway to double down on the card drawing goodness.

Dedcadent Pants

I'd have to say the B/G one is going to be interesting, though I personally want to play with the angel.

Who enjoys the fact of Sol Ring in every box? Even though I have two Revised, I'm loving it.
LiaThistle
Who enjoys the fact of Sol Ring in every box? Even though I have two Revised, I'm loving it.
I hope it's a different art than the Vault one. The older art was quite superior.

Dedcadent Pants

Banshi
LiaThistle
I hope it's a different art than the Vault one. The older art was quite superior.

Vault art; they've already shown the card with the Commander expansion symbol.

Personally, I like the new art better. Maybe I'm preferential to the "new" layout, I dunno. Regardless, it's what tipped me over the edge into buying one (I was initially considering just buying the singles I wanted out of there, since it would probably number 5 or 6 in all). I'm still undecided, mostly because I'm guessing the R/B/W one is going to have the angel and similar aggressive strategies that I like, but I usually play blue and like U/R and U/G decks, so I'm highly considering the U/G/R one, but the B/G/W one looks to have some of the most busted cards so far (you know that B/G creature is going to be there and nowhere else).

I guess we'll have to wait and see the final lists. Like NPH, I do know that I'm actually eagerly awaiting them.

Bashful Browser

Of the new cards, Vow of Wildness looks seriously awesome. They're really pushing good removal for G which is something I've wanted to see for a long time.

On the other hand, I'm not yet sold on the Join Forces mechanic. Seems a bit too group huggy for me.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Vow of Wilderness is very interesting indeed! gives an oppponent a good reason to go after other people with a nicely pumped up critter.

I like Join Forces myself. While Group Huggy, it seems to have the potential to get things really going once people get stuff going, like a lot of little 1/1 soldiers. I'm hoping it goes that way instead of making a giant stall out.

as for a couple other cards released (like Sol Ring!)...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Looks like one of the Commanders for the R/W/B deck. I'm not going to complain! Given the fact there are most likely 3 Angels in that particular one I'm hoping the price of the deck stays reasonable.

Also, if the other wedges get cards like this I might even see these getting picked up around here. Might actually lead to more than three people having EDH decks to play with.

Can't wait to see more spoils.

Dedcadent Pants

While that's a card I wouldn't touch normally, if I make it to the event, I might give it a whirl. I'm most likely to pick up the Heavenly Inferno deck (barring some other cards being in other decks that pull me to them) there anyways.

Bashful Browser

Tariel does seem good, though her ability compares unfavourably with Debtor's Knell (of course Debtor's Knell can neither attack, block, nor be a general.)

I like the look of The Mimeoplasm as well. Graveyard hate is underrepresented in EDH and it's cool to see a card that is utility removal and a splashy threat at the same time.

Dedcadent Pants

epiclevelwarrior
Tariel does seem good, though her ability compares unfavourably with Debtor's Knell (of course Debtor's Knell can neither attack, block, nor be a general.)

I like the look of The Mimeoplasm as well. Graveyard hate is underrepresented in EDH and it's cool to see a card that is utility removal and a splashy threat at the same time.

Thank you for that. I hadn't realized you could hit other players' yards. I like it much better now, though I still don't see it having much use outside of EDH. Which is probably for the best, since Skullbriar is already bad enough.

Bashful Browser

Yeah, they don't even have to be in the same graveyard. TM is one of the commanders I'm more interested in at the moment.

It certainly doesn't have the efficiency to make it in eternal formats, though.

How do you feel about Ruhan of the Fomori? In singleplay its drawback is hardly existant so it's basically a 7/7 for 4. Some people are talking about it for legacy.

Dedcadent Pants

It's a tad unimpressive, actually. The reasons for running URW aren't all that high; red pretty much gives you Grim Lavamancer, and that's it (no one uses Bolt if they have access to Swords). Aggressive decks much prefer something like KotR, which can also double as utility, is cheaper, and gets much bigger (I've had 13/13 Knights).

I just don't see it as overly playable. I could be mistaken, though. I can try to whip something up, but don't count on it being effective.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Now for something different. Because I feel awesome and can do this sort of thing here.

Today I was busy at work(no, really I was!) and myself and a coworker were talking about decks we've been trying to build. lately I've had trouble building decks, as it takes ages to go through my collection. I just don't have the time to set aside to do it all at once. An hour here, 30 minutes there... it leads to some long periods of time sucked up to build a deck.

So I asked him to give me some restrictions, which would help thin my options out and possibly build a deck.

He didn't give a lot of restrictions, save it must be B/U and must have a means to return cards from the GY to the BG through abilities instead of spells.

Hmm... OK. This could be interesting. While thinking this over I had a weird idea as we were talking about weird decks and possible uses of Armored Ascension in a deck that was not mono-white. This really got me thinking, as I liked the idea of finding a means to abuse it without having the proper stuff.

After all, I'm the kind of guy that likes to find ways to mess around with Infernal Genesis and Plague of Vermin. Surely I can find a means to mess around with Armored Ascension and put it places it doesn't belong.

Then again, why stop at just Armored Ascension? There's all sorts of fun with the number of any Basic Land in play...and colored permanents...

So, here is what I slapped together in a few minutes. Unfortunately I do not have all the pieces here, but it's a rough idea of what I'm getting at.
Utility/Land Fetch

Birds of Paradise
Terraformer
Quirion Elves
Painter Servant
Nantuko Blightcutter
Cultivate
Harrow

White/Plains
Armored Ascension
Landbind Ritual
Razor Golem
Kithkin Rabble

Black/Swamp
Lashwrithe
Nightmare Incursion
Corrupt
Mutilate
Dross Golem
Crowd of Cinders

Blue/Island
Flow of Ideas
Spire Golem
Faerie Swarm

Green/Forest
timbermaw larva
Tangle Golem
Reap (affected by Black permanents)
Drove of Elves

Red/Mountain
oxidda golem
horde of Boggarts
Jaws of Stone

And so on. basically it's using the Terraformer/Painter Servant to alter the colours of my permanents and basic land types to pull of all types of fun shenanigans. Lots of Land Acceleration to get the number of basic lands up.

I know this kind of thing will never win a tournament. it's purely for total fun and to make people go WTF on a regular basis as the game takes a very weird turn.

Any card suggestions to this would be highly appreciated as I'm sure I haven't recalled all the ones that exist.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
Alrighty! Based on the ideas I listed above, I have built a deck! I scrapped the 'colours matters' theme and instead went with 'basic land types' matter instead. This is mostly because I only have one Painter Servant and I like it to stay where it is.

Anyways, here's the list!

Lands: 20

2x Mountain
2x Plains
2x Island
14x Forest

Creatures: 16

2x Sylvan Ranger
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
3x Sakura Tribe Elder
4x Terraformer
3x Pyre Charger

Auras: 9

3x Crown of Flames
2x Keldon Mantle
4x Armored Ascension

Sorceries: 15

3x Corrupt
3x Compulsive Research
2x Flow of Ideas
3x Lay of the Land
4x Rampant Growth

Deck Size: 60

Deck works roughly as listed in my previous post. I land accelerate out into tons of land and use the Terraformer to make them any basic lands I want to pull all kinds of fun things. I can drain life, draw cards, pump my creatures two different ways at once even. Fun stuff!

Comments are always appreciated!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces