Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Timid Coronet

All of these are fantastic question! I'd be happy to answer them in order......

Is dual wielding going to be a feat that you can take? or is it available at level one? also, same question for beast taming?:

Dual Wielding in a game where you follow the anime will not be available to any player that isn't Kirito. As he was said to have the fastest reaction time in the game so it is available... but only to him. On the other hand if you are playing a game that does not follow the anime as far as players present in the game and the GM deems it fit to offer Dual Wielding as an Available Unique sword skill to one of the players then the GM can set up a test, or a player has to meet some special criteria. Such as in IRL reaction time test, or has proven themselves within ingame combat, and meets some skill pre reqs. We'll have a few examples in the core rule book that can offer some better examples. There is also another form of using two weapons, but it is a bit different than dual wielding, and will be covered in depth in the Core Rulebook.
Beast taming is available! to everyone! The bonus about Beast Taming is it does not require a quest pre-req either. If a PC gets curious about it on their player information then they can use their (Gather Information) Skill on an NPC or they can ask another PC like an info broker (Actually an NPC under the control of the GM) if there is any information on beast taming. All it really boils down to in the long run is finding the animal NPC you want as a familliar and figuring out what types of food it likes then befriending it. For example.... A player tries to get a wolf familiar. The player offers the wolf some boar meat. The GM then rolls to see if the wolf is trusting of the PC's advances, or suspicious. Once gaining the Familiar Name it, then add it with some basic combat stats, and abilities to the section of the character sheet.

Are there any ranged type weapons?:

Oh of course there is! In the manga and light novel series more ranged weapons were made known, however sword art has every weapon under the sun! There are bows, short bows, long bows, Javelins, the whole nine yards, you can even throw regular melee weapons but take a penalty. There are basic versions of all ranged and melee weapons available instantly to all players. However, something such as a Katana, Rapier, Crossbow, or Atlatl, have other weapon pre-reqs that must be met before use. Think of it this way: If it's not a magical weapon, like staff or wand. That stuff is in Sword art!

For sub skills like cooking and crafting, what is the level up system for those?:

The same for the all the other skills in sword art. We're still sort of playing around with the leveling system for things but the system we have now is as follows: The cap for any skill is 40. A player can gain levels in a skill from many ways, getting a critical while rolling to see if the skill used was a success or a failure... using a level up point, or getting points from Quests, or deliberately training the skill. (Some skills cannot be simply trained. things like sewing, forging, crafting, cooking...wood cutting, things like that can. Gather info, and hide cannot) the basics we have now is: 0-10 a player can get this up with any of the previously listed options... (depending on the skill) 10-15 A player can use level up points, quest point rewards, and a successful attempt at something such as (EX: Cooking a dish that is slightly beyond their capabilities) in other words, a critical roll. 15-20 Quest rewards, and level ups only. 20-40 Level up points. This scaling system works for all skills, Training a skill like cooking, you do before 10 and you roll a d6 and add that to the level. (How your skill level determines your roll is covered in the rule book)

How do the players level up?:

Easy! By doing quests or fighting monsters. Giving EXP is still something we're working out, however gaining 1000 EXP gains you a level. The GM should give you EXP in correlation to what it is you accomplished. For example, a level 1 character fights a boar... beats it. 300 EXP... (Divide the total among all players.. have 3 people each get 100 EXP) Another example: you beat the first floor boss at level 2-4... 3000 EXP (divide that among PC's) Also in that case the GM is required to make things more challenging. Remember, it took a group of around 20 level 10's two months to find, and beat the first floor boss. If you find it in two days like my group did, it sets the bar a bit high. XD Also doing extrodinary deeds will gain you Renown. which is gained striking the killing blow against a boss, or leading the party that defeated the boss. A global announcement is sent out every time a boss is beaten and a level cleared. use that for RP purpose. Also with every level you gain a level up point which can be placed to any skill that is not maxed. You can level multiple times a floor, it just gets harder to level fighting lower level enemies. so think of each floor and the levels you can gain from it as increments of 10-12... Also if you are the first to find out how to unlock a skill of any type Sell it to info brokers... make tons of cash! (The GM will reward money for how much they think this information is worth)

What dictates rare item drops?:

What type of creature it is and how hard it is to defeat. Bosses have Set drops, and Rare drop potential. Killing the first floor boss gains you the coat of midnight and depending on how hard the boss was for the party or person depends on the drop... say 20 level 10's fight the last boss, the coat of midnight drops... some Col for all, and the loot from the two Kobold Generals. say it's 3 level 3-5's.... The coat of midnight like always, A medium amount of Col for all, and one Rare weapon for each player. (Set wielder requirements for all non basic weapons. for example: Coat of Midnight: Wielder Req: Light armor: 13) (Another example: Knights Longsword: One-handed sword: 15 Strength: 12 Skill: 10) Also rare items give stat bonuses. The Coat of Midnight we had gave a +4 bonus to Agility. and lets say the Knights Longsword gives 2 extra dice to damage...The GM can play around with it as they see fit....

Are there a leveled npc's from the anime for epic events?

Of course! If you follow the Anime try to include all the event bosses you can. A week before thanksgiving our game had a swarm of Giant Turkeys. We won Col, Rare event items, and a global announcement. There are also hidden bosses. have your GM get creative... for example our group was venturing though the woods and stumbled across a chest that was actually a doorway. we went down and there was a dragon. we beat the dragon after having a hell of a time doing so. From the dragon we obtained: Durendel the legendary sword of St. George. No one had the pre-reqs to use it but we had it... Get creative with hidden and world event bosses. Have fun for the most part! And yes they should have their own stats... if the GM wants it to be a set stat then let it. but if it's a world event more than often it will Scale to the characters level, unless the GM doesn't want it to.

Once a player in the party dies, are they strictly out?

In the game that follows the anime and the one we made, yes. once a player dies... That's it you're done. however we placed in a fail safe so the game wouldn't be a giant pain... your HP CAN drop to 0 and you do still live you just have to be finished off. Say your player drops to 0 health... You simply cannot make any action save for moving at half your movement rate. Your party members can then heal you, or cover you while you heal yourself, or regenerate your own health. (the finish off fail safe only applicable to players. that includes PCs controlled by the GM) to finish off a character the player must roll a standard attack (without the other player rolling) and they must bypass their armor as far as damage goes by any amount. (including 1) to finish off a character. Some examples: you are at 0 health... something tries finishing you off... they make their attack... if they miss, they must try again, if they hit they make a damage roll. if the damage roll does not bypass armor, they must try again. if it does the PC dies. However a player that has the option can either cover your and take the damage (if it bypasses their own armor) as long as they have yet to do anything that round. for working this out roll a Loyalty roll... if they wish to simply block it with a shield or parry it... no loyalty roll is needed. simply roll for a parry attempt if they are trying to make one... Another PC making a defend attempt with a shield you simply add their shield armor to the characters armor value.
Another rule as far as death goes is that if on a critical hit, if the attack would drop you do 0 after bypassing your armor the player is instantly dead unless another character is willing to parry, block, or take the attack themselves.
Items to Resurrect are available. If following the Anime the orb gained from the World event is the only item.
In the event that you wish to play a game with such items that can resurrect you, make it a rare drop equal to that of a full heal crystal.
Also potions and health crystals are available to players. only after the first floor however... though their quantity IS LIMITED! and if the PC's buy them all out and leave none for other (GM controlled NPCs), and those NPCs are around to witness, give them a negative on their fame.

As a sub note, if your character does die for good, then talk to the GM... we had it where you made a new character but the character was of slightly lower level than that of the actual group. so you can come back, just you'll have a new character. if you want to know more about PC death, you can wait till the rulebook is finished or ask any further question you may have about it.

Well, that about covers your current questions. Please if you have any more do not hesitate to ask!
i guess the next thing to ak is when do you think a rulebook will be out?

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Timid Coronet
i guess the next thing to ak is when do you think a rulebook will be out?

I've been working on it off and on since about July or August.. though my scheduled is often rather packed... I hope to have a decent copy that will answer many question by as late as February I don't exactly know how top quality it will be but It should be far more than enough to start and play your own SAO table top.
I have been following this forum for weeks now without being a member as it came up in my search for this exact game. Everything I have read so far is what I am looking for I have downloaded the character sheet and would love to get all the information you have completed thus far to be a beta tester. Private message or email me please with the information. Thank you.
Hey, just checking up on this because I have now several people who are up for this game. Just might start up on a tower of druaga table top. It had a game and an anime so a tabletop shouldn't be out of the question.

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
With sword art progressive coming out and thing going on in life I've been a bit behind on the time table I previously set. However, I can put the final touches on the first floor and release it as a sort of beta test If you all would like. That being said, Let me know when I get it put togeather what your experiences are when you play. I'll have the demo put togeathe by this time next week as I have nothing going on.

Familiar Hunter

4,700 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Am very interested in this, Would like a copy to the demo so that I might try my hand at dming it for a few friends who also enjoy the setting and mechanics, but don't like the original cannon.

Unstoppable Hourglass

Tell me more about the alfheim stance, and your mechanics for the flight system, what are some of the special magic skills that can be expected among the races, will gravity magic be functional? What about special items/magic like the demon sword gram which can bypass certain kinds of attack/deflects, how will this factor into combat? In the big-picture story, we also saw very little to nothing special about the sword Excalibur aside from a spotty session where it was special generated, as a high-end item that probably is one of a kind unless a GM reps it for you, what sort of special magical effects or unique aspects would you think it would bring to the player or person possessing it? How about the gungale supplement? How will weapons that emit energy like the Kagemitsu G4 be handled, or high-end ultra-rare longarms like the Ultima Ratio Hecate II?

I appreciate full answers to all these questions, as I have friends who would be interested in such settings (a steampunk/fantasy SAO world setting), thank you for your time.

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Amaranthine D
Tell me more about the alfheim stance, and your mechanics for the flight system, what are some of the special magic skills that can be expected among the races, will gravity magic be functional? What about special items/magic like the demon sword gram which can bypass certain kinds of attack/deflects, how will this factor into combat? In the big-picture story, we also saw very little to nothing special about the sword Excalibur aside from a spotty session where it was special generated, as a high-end item that probably is one of a kind unless a GM reps it for you, what sort of special magical effects or unique aspects would you think it would bring to the player or person possessing it? How about the gungale supplement? How will weapons that emit energy like the Kagemitsu G4 be handled, or high-end ultra-rare longarms like the Ultima Ratio Hecate II?

I appreciate full answers to all these questions, as I have friends who would be interested in such settings (a steampunk/fantasy SAO world setting), thank you for your time.

Alfheim, honestly is going to be a headache. It is plausable but some revision to the current S.A.O. combat setup.... Kind of like adding on fourty new things and a character sheet revision. It's currently in the idea work-box of "Things we really need to do..." As for spells, There is much to be done to supliment the addition to the current system. A new base skill will be added, and some new rules along with it. Each race (once worked out) Will, have it's own bonuses and drawbacks. Much like picking a race in a normal MMO. Gravity magic probably will be with other magic. It won't really be damage effective unless used in a crafty manner. Otherwise it's just supposed to be a crowd control type spell list that only affects characters in its AOE (Area of effect). There will be things like Grams sword that... Working up the system for them may be rather interesting, but we currently just have it just being a weapons passive ability where It has a chance to bypass certain attacks and blocks. The specs will be listed in due course. It will factor into combat by ignoring a parry attempt, or even some armor. Excalibur Will be a unique weapon... Only one will be available in the game, assuming you are playing following the Anime It will be in Kirito's possesion, but otherwise It will have a special ability. It does double damage, and the damage is unhealable for 24 (or 12) hours. It's still a work in progress how long, but It will be a rather powerful weapon. It would also give some increses to stats. More than probably skill, Str, and maybe con. The gungale suppliment will be a pain. We'd be breaking down the system we currently use, and build it back up from the bottom. Each special weapon and item will be represented in accordance to the similarities it shares with its anime counterpart. HOWEVER! Due to the fact that it wil lbe such a massive pain to work out we are more than probably going to skip it for the time being and going right to a Underworld Online Suppliment. First though we are placing the finishing touches on the Aincrad (SAO) Supliment which saddly has been taking more time than I originally though but is well on it's way. Thanks for taking an interest and I hope this helps, any more questions anyone has I'll get to them when I can.

Enjoy!!!!

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
(Attention! Game update)

So I thought with the interest in the supliment gradually incresing I'd give a short "What's going on with the progress of this game" Update.

For those that do not know, making a table top game for a game based on an MMO or something of that nature is.... Rather dificult. Tabletops have a really easy tendency to become what RPG enthusiests call... Broken. Where the set rules can be tampered with to gain different and prefered results. (Also known as metagaming.) So myself, and the co-producer of this game are working on a ruleset that is harder to break than normal. Or one that follows the game so closely that it ultimatly cannot be broken.

This takes time..... a rather long period of time infact. Far more than he and I orriginally intened and expected. Needless to say we are stil lhard at work on the first floor beta and mini (Adventure pack) that comes with it. We for one are actually super happy to see the small following this has gained, even though We didn't expect any more than a few people to show interest. I digress.... I'm not going to pull a diablo three and keep pushing back the time table on the beta release, but all I can say is it's a ton of work just for the two of us.... (and a third from time to time) Even though the closed beta went fantastic some revision on skills and equipment is needed so it doesn't become too overpowered is a must, and will be done. As for the open beta, I'll just say we will be releasing it as soon as we can, and no later. You all have been waiting patiently for this and We will reward it with hopefully a great and enjoyable tabletop game for everyone to enjoy!

Thanks for reading and showing interest. Stay tuned!

Familiar Hunter

4,700 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Amaranthine D

Honestly for now let's work through SAO content, and then get to ALO, as He can make NALO In which Aincrad exists right beside it. Meaning he can basically work on getting he first zone before adding the 8 other zones, along with all the new rules and mechanics. As for GGO, that is a completely different game, and would require reworking the system and setting for the game he's already making, as opposed to just pushing out ALO update Supplement.

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kina SnowWolf
Amaranthine D

Honestly for now let's work through SAO content, and then get to ALO, as He can make NALO In which Aincrad exists right beside it. Meaning he can basically work on getting he first zone before adding the 8 other zones, along with all the new rules and mechanics. As for GGO, that is a completely different game, and would require reworking the system and setting for the game he's already making, as opposed to just pushing out ALO update Supplement.

Exactly, It's honestly not that hard to go from SAO... to ALO. The only problems in that reguard we've run across is implimentation of magic, races... will be easier than magic, but the combat system is going to prove troubling.... in SAO combat follows specific manuvers, where as you take the pose, and the system assists you though the rest of it. In ALO it's far different. It's based on your actual Combat skills.Finding a way to put that in is going to be a challenge. It may be there, and then again it may not. Gun Gale is a problem because the way the game works is if you are familliar with the anime it shows the vector of the bullet just before the gun fires allowing for a dodge or some form of retaliation. Finding a system to suit that (as it's an essential game mechanic) is going to be hard....It will probably envolve making a new RPG from the ground up. Including items used to play. So finding a way to make it so SAO, ALO, GGO, and UO all can be interplayed with the same avatar (character)..... May be harder than it appears. Saddly it's only GGO's fault. switching between Aincrad, Alfhiem, and Underworld is a sinch. Or can be. To be honest I only forsee SAO, and ALO for now. (doesn't mean that's all there is going to be.) but I'm just getting the games introduced in Season one of the Anime out of the way.

Shadowy Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Progress update

Attention those who have been religiously paying attention to this thread! I have an update that may generate mixed feelings from everyone, so I'll just jump right on into the explination...

So though the course of working though things... all the systems we had looked though trying to get help, and inspiration for working on this RPG turned up nothing that would let us transfer from SAO > to AOL > GGO > Underworld, retainig both the avatar, and all similar stats that can carry over. Unfortunatly, no such dice system, / RPG system works well enough for this. So we decided to make our own from the ground up. Something that will be versitile enough to switch from a more mideveal setting, to something like Starwars, then back over to Sword art, then Gun Gale. Something that will be able to incoperate all, and any campaigns you could ever think up.
The good news is though, we belive we have that with the system we are making! So all the concernes for magic and fire arms that had been discussed previously in the thread will be covered.
Now for the part some may not like. We are looking into getting this to be an official Sword Art Online Table top. So depending on how that goes depends on the availability of information reguarding this table top will be limited to progress updates. If we do get it all set up and official, then We will be having beta tests, which will be exclusive, and Information on Source material will be limited. a starter pack may be available, but It will depend on any regulations that would occur in the officiating process. Even Beta testing may be limited. It will be hard to say.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff