Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can someone copy in for me the exact text of the Swashbuckler's 'Insightful Strike' ability, and perhaps a list of the Swash's class abilities? I don't have the book with me and I need the details. Any help is appeaciated.
Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attack or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler's insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor, or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Swashbuckler class featuers by level.

1st: Weapon Finesse
2nd: Grace +1
3rd: Insightful Strike
4th: --
5th: Dodge Bonus +1
6th: --
7th: Acrobatic Charge
8th: Improved Flanking
9th: --
10th: Dodge Bonus +2
11th: Grace +2, Lucky
12th: --
13th: Acrobatic Skill Mastery
14th: Weakening Critical
15th: Dodge Bonus +3
16th: --
17th: Slippery Mind
18th: --
19th: Wounding Critical
20th: Dodge Bonus +4, Grace +3
Thank you SO much. <3 Now Perry's Swashbuckler dip is definite.
What is this class, and where did it come from? And why does it sound so broken and jacked-up next to the standard 20 level classes?
The Feist
What is this class, and where did it come from? And why does it sound so broken and jacked-up next to the standard 20 level classes?

Yea, because a miniscule AC bonus against a single opponent is an earth-shattering ability that will destroy the balance of the game.
I'm talking more about the addition of INT to damage and the two special critical abilities. A Swashbuckler with a good INT and heavy-damage weapon could deal more damage than a 2-handed style fighter.
So we meet again, Feist. ninja Actually the 3.5 edition makes careful checks in the prestiges to not be uber powerful or "cheat" classes, but the fixed edition is in general improving all of the mistakes in 3rd, such as the broken Monk class in comparison to say "teh suck" Ranger class.
Devanshi
So we meet again, Feist. ninja Actually the 3.5 edition makes careful checks in the prestiges to not be uber powerful or "cheat" classes, but the fixed edition is in general improving all of the mistakes in 3rd, such as the broken Monk class in comparison to say "teh suck" Ranger class.

Hm. Maybe I'm just sore because my latest game has a swashbuckler who seems to be so highly favorited by everything and got to start 2 levels higher than everyone else.
The Feist
Devanshi

Hm. Maybe I'm just sore because my latest game has a swashbuckler who seems to be so highly favorited by everything and got to start 2 levels higher than everyone else.

First of all about Insightful Strike, it isn't as powerful as you might think. It only works with finessable weapons, otherwise it's useless. So I'm not sure why that was an issue.

Secondly, if you had a problem with Leif you should have stated something beforehand. Also, she did not "start" two levels higher. You forget she has been in the games before you came, and is largely an aiding character at the moment, not meant to be on the same level as yours, but to help out. It was specifically stated she isn't even levelling until the rest of the party catches up, because she will become an actual party member rather than a reoccuring NPC.
Devanshi
The Feist
Devanshi

First of all about Insightful Strike, it isn't as powerful as you might think. It only works with finessable weapons, otherwise it's useless. So I'm not sure why that was an issue.

Secondly, if you had a problem with Leif you should have stated something beforehand. Also, she did not "start" two levels higher. You forget she has been in the games before you came, and is largely an aiding character at the moment, not meant to be on the same level as yours, but to help out. It was specifically stated she isn't even levelling until the rest of the party catches up, because she will become an actual party member rather than a reoccuring NPC.

She came in from the other game 2 levels above us, so therefore she start this one 2 levels higher. Her being in the game isn't a problem, and neither is her level advantage now that there's been some time since the last game, but I do admit I felt cheated when suddenly we all get told "Oh, and she's got 2 levels over you guys." And I'm sure there's a Finessable weapon that deals at least a d8 if not higher in damage.
The Feist
Devanshi
The Feist
Devanshi

She came in from the other game 2 levels above us, so therefore she start this one 2 levels higher. Her being in the game isn't a problem, and neither is her level advantage now that there's been some time since the last game, but I do admit I felt cheated when suddenly we all get told "Oh, and she's got 2 levels over you guys." And I'm sure there's a Finessable weapon that deals at least a d8 if not higher in damage.

Well it still largely does not make a difference when her level advantage has not affected you or the other PC's in any way. Even with said advantage she was stuck fighting that Gnoll gladiator the entire game last week while the party finished off the other opponents together. The gnome was already KO'd, though she also aided in giving him a potion. It pretty much just saved the party dealing with another 40 HP monster. That sand trick made it flat-footed permanently though, so it would not have been hard for you guys to take it down too.

The only weapons finessable that vary are the Elven Thinblade which does do d8 damage, but it is Exotic, and the Spiked Chain which is 2d4 and Exotic. And with Leif anyways, both of her weapons deal D6 damage
Devanshi
Well it still largely does not make a difference when her level advantage has not affected you or the other PC's in any way. Even with said advantage she was stuck fighting that Gnoll gladiator the entire game last week while the party finished off the other opponents together. The gnome was already KO'd, though she also aided in giving him a potion. It pretty much just saved the party dealing with another 40 HP monster. That sand trick made it flat-footed permanently though, so it would not have been hard for you guys to take it down too.

The only weapons finessable that vary are the Elven Thinblade which does do d8 damage, but it is Exotic, and the Spiked Chain which is 2d4 and Exotic. And with Leif anyways, both of her weapons deal D6 damage

Yeah, but she's got two of 'em, and she's never missed that I've seen. Anyways, I'm gonna knock off the complaining and simply ask where this new class came from, and if there's others like it.

Dapper Hunter

Its in the Complete Warrior, and there are 11 other new bases classes from the series, though some are remakes of OA classes. Its really not all that new, the books have been out for a while.
KetsuruiHarumasa
Its in the Complete Warrior, and there are 11 other new bases classes from the series, though some are remakes of OA classes. Its really not all that new, the books have been out for a while.
::writes the name of that book down:: I'm going to go and at least find it, if not buy it. I keep hearing too much good about it to not at least look at what its got to offer.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff