Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, There is a new card called Triumph of Ferocity.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
According to some, this card depicts an overt rape scenario. Elaine Chase, the product manager for Wizards,‏ replied on twitter:
Elain Chase

Regarding Triumph of Ferocity: Wizards and I apologize for the upsetting situation related to card imagery. In light of the community conversation it can clearly be viewed in a way that is in direct opposition the brand image we strive to maintain. This was absolutely not our intent, but intentions don’t override the real emotional reactions our fans have. While the bigger story provides context, individual cards are seen in isolation. That is the standard each card needs to live up to. In hindsight this story point could have been depicted in a less real-world related and emotionally charged way. We will take this as a learning opportunity and strive to do better in the future.

So i am making this thread to get people's opinions on this controversy, and to see what they think the art shows.

Mythical Rare

"On the charge of attempted rape, how does the jury find?"
"We the jury find the defendant, Garruk Wildspeaker, not guilty."

"On the charge of attempted murder in the 1st degree, how does the jury find?"
"We the jury find the defendant guilty."

That pretty well sums up my thoughts on it. Calling this scene rape is simply a result of ignorance of the storyline.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

I find it amusing, its all about the context in this one. Magic players know the story of Garruk/Lili's battle knowing that I see him demanding she free the curse. Someone on the outside could see Huge brute about to rape scantily clad sorceress. It sucks that they get so much negative press ofr art (Lilis demonic tutor looked like she was being violated by a demon and noone said anything about that). It just takes me back to the days where they had to censor pentagrams and other stuff to appease the religious folk. Its art and yes without the context could be very bad looking. Hopefully they don't try to fix it in later printings (although I assume were way past the printing point with this one). Maybe people will see it for what it is and maybe it will inspire many half truths and bigotry against the game we love/live.
Oh also, here is a link to something that i found funny in relation to this issue.
What the flavor text on Triumph of Ferocity should have been

Girl-Crazy Grabber

ELL OH ELL

Dedcadent Pants

Truthfully, rtfc. The flavor text is a lethal threat, not a sexual one.

Additionally, I'm with everyone else who has posted in this thread thus far; a hand raised above, in a fist, is aggression, not an "I'm going to rape you" threat.

Blessed Nerd

Actually, I didn't know about any controversy until now. Simply because it's a picture of Garruk about to end Liliana's life. Just like its sister card is a picture of Liliana about to end Garruk's life.
Just to tell everybody, i frequent the forums of MTGSalvation, and there is a thread with 550+ posts debating this nonstop for over 29 hours

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Haters gotta hate and Trolls gotta troll.

Aged Duelist

10,000 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Willexia Rennar
"On the charge of attempted rape, how does the jury find?"
"We the jury find the defendant, Garruk Wildspeaker, not guilty."

"On the charge of attempted murder in the 1st degree, how does the jury find?"
"We the jury find the defendant guilty."

That pretty well sums up my thoughts on it. Calling this scene rape is simply a result of ignorance of the storyline.

This was my first thought too. I don't see a big guy about to get his raep face on with a much shorter girl. I see a squishy mage about to see why they should not be in melee first hand.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
Does NO ONE read the flavor text? He's going to kill her, not rape her as relentlessly as his name implies.
I think a lot of the people who are raising this issue are the ones who are triggered by the card art, on account of ... regardless of the flavor text, that image screams "rape" to them. Maybe they survived rape, maybe they came close to it; either way, they know what's supposed to be going on in that pic but that doesn't change how they feel about it. I'm personally an abuse survivor, and I know what that kind of thing is like, even though this particular card doesn't do that for me.

Maybe some of them aren't being too coherent in debating it, but that's because they're trying to put words to these feelings and having a lot of trouble doing so.

Either way, lesson learned. WotC handled things right, by apologizing and promising not to do this again. Personally, if I were in charge I'd commission an alternate art version and set up a program to give out a copy to anyone who mails them the original; it wouldn't cost that much to do, especially compared to the massive sales AR is going to get them, and it'd be a really great PR move. Maybe they could make a donation to a women's shelter too or something.

Hilarious Lunatic

2,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Statustician 100
sweet, this is an awesome thing to wake up to before I go to my prerelease. I might have to splash green just to be able to play the card and say, "Well opponent, do us both a favor and prepare your a**s,"

Ice-Cold Angel

34,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Pie For All! 300
Yeah well, I look at the art of Triumph of Cruelty and I'm reminded of when a woman raped me.

Friendly Shapeshifter

10,500 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
In all honesty, to me, it looks like he's just about to stab her. How could you do that and not hold someone down? It would have been worse if he had tied her up~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff