Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Dog

Hitachin
that's a major problem, but you shouldn't just throw a Garganth into their face like that...
it just basically says to everyone else on the adventure that this DM is evil, if he doesn't like you, your character is going to die, which only leads to you getting estranged and losing the ability to DM more games

also players have free will; you ask me "is this a wall or a door?" i stab you. if i die, i'll just make a new character and put him under chaos alignment and stab you again.

you have to be aware of what alignment the player's character is; things you might take as being rude or stupid are things that their character is also expected to do due to their alignment

me, personally i'm prone to picking chaos evil and that means that if i meet an npc asking me to do anything that i don't feel like doing since it wouldn't fit under my character's idealogy then they're dead or they can expect to have a giant battle occur

Ultimately, my stance is that the GM is the arbitrator of the game. It is fully the GM's power to remove problem players if they end up being too disruptive. Even if the player was doing stuff in character, it seems that he was doing nothing but being well...disruptive, and the GM dealt with that. I think it's utterly fair, given my experiences as well and what I've seen and heard from other players.

GMs should be fair, but there are times when they just need to lay down the law, and this seemed to be one of those times.
Funny you posted that, because in another campaign I made a Monk that's essentially a Luchador named 'Senor Bravo'. I'm a huge wrestling fan and in that campaign, it's total chaos. So, it only seemed appropriate. When he uses improvised weaponry he is using 'heel tactics'.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
It's well and good to make a character with personality quirks (flaws?), but it's also important to make sure the character you want to play fits into the campaign/story dynamic without taking away from everyone else's experience. You do not have to be the quirkiest person ever, just because your character is chaotic.
StarDissident
It's well and good to make a character with personality quirks (flaws?), but it's also important to make sure the character you want to play fits into the campaign/story dynamic without taking away from everyone else's experience. You do not have to be the quirkiest person ever, just because your character is chaotic.

The campaign the luchador isn't the serious one. And as such, the DM told us he doesn't care what kind of characters he makes for it. I wouldn't just throw that one into any campaign, I've been well versed with D&D since I was in junior high.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
Oh i wasn't talking about that. More expanding on the idea that it is always the DM's right/duty to make the call as to whether or not your character is campaign appropriate.

I've been in Star Wars campaigns on the side of good where one person insists he wants to be evil and then whines when the group is given a mission to stop him. Maybe you shouldn't be the bad guy in a group of nosy do-gooders. You're gonna have a bad time.

Shameless Dog

OmniSlacker
Funny you posted that, because in another campaign I made a Monk that's essentially a Luchador named 'Senor Bravo'. I'm a huge wrestling fan and in that campaign, it's total chaos. So, it only seemed appropriate. When he uses improvised weaponry he is using 'heel tactics'.

That's hilarious, and it reminds me of something one of my 'net buddies and I were talking about. Thinking about playing WWE Know Your Role and turning it into a high fantasy setting called The Wrestle Lords, where legendary wrestlers are kings and queens and soldiers in a fantasy setting.

How you'd have the legendary and savage Macho King and his powerful empire, and the dark King HHH, and his trio of assassins, The King's Shield.

We had a ton more concepts but I forget them at the moment. Those were some of my favorites though.

It was pretty awesome and I feel it totally relevant to mention. I'm a huge wrestling fan too! Unfortunately we're the only ones amongst our group and it's tough to get others interested in RPG wrestling.
StarDissident
Oh i wasn't talking about that. More expanding on the idea that it is always the DM's right/duty to make the call as to whether or not your character is campaign appropriate.

I've been in Star Wars campaigns on the side of good where one person insists he wants to be evil and then whines when the group is given a mission to stop him. Maybe you shouldn't be the bad guy in a group of nosy do-gooders. You're gonna have a bad time.

Ah, fair enough then. The only way I could see a character with that mentality working out is if everyone was that way in a throwaway campaign opposite to the serious one. The thing that really puzzled me was the fact that he did this DIRECTLY after he was rewarded.

Obersturmbannfuehrer Chii
OmniSlacker

That's hilarious, and it reminds me of something one of my 'net buddies and I were talking about. Thinking about playing WWE Know Your Role and turning it into a high fantasy setting called The Wrestle Lords, where legendary wrestlers are kings and queens and soldiers in a fantasy setting.

How you'd have the legendary and savage Macho King and his powerful empire, and the dark King HHH, and his trio of assassins, The King's Shield.

We had a ton more concepts but I forget them at the moment. Those were some of my favorites though.

It was pretty awesome and I feel it totally relevant to mention. I'm a huge wrestling fan too! Unfortunately we're the only ones amongst our group and it's tough to get others interested in RPG wrestling.

I'm in the same boat, actually! Though, that may change eventually because I've convinced someone in my group to go see a live event whenever WWE rolls through Alabama again. And speaking of wrestling D20, from what I've seen of Spoony's videos, Know Your Role isn't that great. Though, he spoke highly of the World Wrestling Entertainment Basic Adventure Game. A link to the video wherein he speaks about it can be found here

He also has a wealth of other videos chronicling his adventures and just overall tips for players and DM's.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
I would be so down to get into some RPG wrestling. I did the collectible card game with friends a few years ago.

Shameless Dog

OmniSlacker
I'm in the same boat, actually! Though, that may change eventually because I've convinced someone in my group to go see a live event whenever WWE rolls through Alabama again. And speaking of wrestling D20, from what I've seen of Spoony's videos, Know Your Role isn't that great. Though, he spoke highly of the World Wrestling Entertainment Basic Adventure Game. A link to the video wherein he speaks about it can be found here

He also has a wealth of other videos chronicling his adventures and just overall tips for players and DM's.

I'm actually watching his Summerslam review, haha. I haven't gotten around to watching the Counter Monkey ep about KYR yet.

I live in Portland Oregon, and I got to see Raw this past August 11. It was a blast...my first live wrestling event. It was pretty awesome.

I never felt such a rush when Zeb asked us all to get up and put our hands over our heart, and in a loud, clear voice... :lol

It was amazing. I will endeavor to go to another live event the next time it comes around here again.

StarDissident
I would be so down to get into some RPG wrestling. I did the collectible card game with friends a few years ago.

Oh indeed!

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
Obersturmbannfuehrer Chii
OmniSlacker

I'm actually watching his Summerslam review, haha. I haven't gotten around to watching the Counter Monkey ep about KYR yet.

I live in Portland Oregon, and I got to see Raw this past August 11. It was a blast...my first live wrestling event. It was pretty awesome.

I never felt such a rush when Zeb asked us all to get up and put our hands over our heart, and in a loud, clear voice... :lol

It was amazing. I will endeavor to go to another live event the next time it comes around here again.

StarDissident

Oh indeed!

I have a friend in PDX who went to a live event recently, i'm guessing the same one. I feel like a total poser since i never know who's who or what's going on. I like wrestling, but i tend to have wikipedia open when watching since i don't do tv to keep up unless i'm at my mom's house too late doing laundry. I initially started watching because cute boys in panties is a swell selling point.
Well, for only $9.99 you can watch previous wrestling PPV's and even past episodes of RAW on the WWE Network. Which can be done online.

Just gonna go ask Vince where my check is now.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
OmniSlacker
Well, for only $9.99 you can watch previous wrestling PPV's and even past episodes of RAW on the WWE Network. Which can be done online.

Just gonna go ask Vince where my check is now.

Haha. It is unfair of him not to give you money.

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
StarDissident

It is a cooperative sort of game, usually. In the shoes of a DM, games work best when it isn't DM vs. Players, but some players want to pick the fight, and will make sure that they have every chance they can starting with character creation.

Most of my experiences with players being That Guy end up with the rest of the group offing their character. Whether it be a coup de grace because the formerly true neutral character decided monster intestines would make a good 'nest' or getting into 4-on-1 rolled combat.

The one that gets my goat? When That Guy decides to coordinate a 'I'm so awesome' railroad with the DM, at the expense of the rest of the group.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
I think a lot of players forget that the DM wants to engage you in a story, not just tell you one. It's just sad that this also seems to be flipped into a player saying "this is my story, throw away your plans and let me be the KING OF THE WORLD". I dunno. This is why i never play anymore.

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
StarDissident
I think a lot of players forget that the DM wants to engage you in a story, not just tell you one. It's just sad that this also seems to be flipped into a player saying "this is my story, throw away your plans and let me be the KING OF THE WORLD". I dunno. This is why i never play anymore.

Well, when running a game you lay out the breadcrumbs, some people want to do everything in their power not to go after the bread. Those are the people I find make running a game hard, because I don't personally want to force a group into anything, but sessions get really boring when that player insists on wasting it on something that doesn't go anywhere for anyone else.

Makes ya miss the good groups with people who like the same balance of crunch and fluff and who agree to a degree of direction and influence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff