Welcome to Gaia! ::

Has anyone ever played a pokemon tabletop game, or knows a place I can find decent conversion rules? I've wanted to put together a group and run a game of that for a long time, but I can't find anything online that's complete or gives clear guidelines for character building.

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Options I'd throw out include BESM with Cute & Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters or Pokethulhu.

This person knows it. I really recommend this Pokemon Tabletop. It's very VERY good in terms of making a decent role playing experience. However, it takes a very talented GM to make it work. The Trainer classes are horribly specialized and unbalanced but its done on purpose.

You need a good balance of role playing, official league battles, and fighting crime syndicates in order to make everyone happy.

The game will likely be slow, a turn consists of everyone taking a trainer action and then pokemon taking their actions. Not only that since every single trainer can hold up to 6 pokemon battles can last a very very long time.

If you want im willing to talk more about it. My friends and I only played through one campaign but it was very successful and i liked it allot.

I have heard of another one called Pokethullu. From what I understand its like pokemon meets call of cthullu. I haven't played it but it is fairly popular.
My expierience with the game was that it was great in theory but once it came down to session planning and playing it was a nightmare. The classes are so unbalanced that coming up with encounters that challenged the players without killing the one player who doesn't min max is difficult.
Some of the classes are completely useless in combat which is fine except for the fact that combats take so bloody long (thanks d20) that the people who choose non combat classes get board easily.
My final gripe, and this is totally bias and I admit it, is that it is a very, very, very crunchy system that puts the crunch and the math ahead of player interactions and story progression. We tried it for a month before my group gave up in rage and haven't found a good pokemon table top game since.

TLDR: If you really really like crunchy systems and sessions that are mostly combat simulations then you'll love it. If your looking for a more role playing exoierience then do please contact me when you find one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff