Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Tycoon

6,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Hey, I've been looking to get started playing pathfinder for a while now. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for beginners. Just for reference, I'm a writer and I'm really interested in being GM. I'm also kind of shy still... A few specific questions! Is it worth investing in buying the bestiaries? Should I do a few games as a player before going into GMing?

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
OGApothecary
Is it worth investing in buying the bestiaries?

Only if you want a "complete" collection. I find it far better to have an App on my Android that can handle it. I use PF Battle which comes loaded with info from the current Bestiaries with the ability to add templates to them. Plus it allows me to keep track of rounds and hit points of all involved. Use it every time I run Pathfinder. 3 less books to cart around. If you don't have a mobile device (ie phone, ipad, etc), then the books are far more useful.
OGApothecary
Should I do a few games as a player before going into GMing?

Only if you never played an RPG before. Knowing the few key mechanics of a game is pretty crucial and most new players won't understand certain things others take for granted.

Dapper Tycoon

6,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Liquidor
OGApothecary

Only if you want a "complete" collection. I find it far better to have an App on my Android that can handle it. I use PF Battle which comes loaded with info from the current Bestiaries with the ability to add templates to them. Plus it allows me to keep track of rounds and hit points of all involved. Use it every time I run Pathfinder. 3 less books to cart around. If you don't have a mobile device (ie phone, ipad, etc), then the books are far more useful.
OGApothecary

Only if you never played an RPG before. Knowing the few key mechanics of a game is pretty crucial and most new players won't understand certain things others take for granted.

Now by RPG, do you mean table-top or just RPG's in general?

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
OGApothecary
Liquidor
OGApothecary

OGApothecary

Now by RPG, do you mean table-top or just RPG's in general?

a little of both, while leaning towards table top.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
User Image

►►There are lots of online resources a GM can use for pathfinder. Wikis, and apps for tablets.

I would definitely suggest having a couple months of tabletop gaming experience before trying to be a GM. If you've only played RPG video games, you will essentially be calculating all of the various events, stats of enemies, and rolls/saving throws that the video game does automatically behind the scenes in the program.

It also takes a little imagination and descriptive ability. Unlike video games, this entire world exists in the minds of the players. Its up to you, as the GM, to make sure they are seeing similar things. Where the campaign you're running may have minimal detail laid, its up to you to embellish. Instead of saying "Castle stands to the west" you will need to embellish that with what YOU are imagining. Such as "An imposing black castle with many turrets stands to the west. As you approach, the gate stands 40 feet tall, with heavy chains and menacing teethed gears to open it."

You mentioned that you were a bit shy. That's okay, but being a GM may get you out of your comfort zone. If you've ever been in drama, its kind of like playing improvisation with voices. The gruff dwarven smith isn't going to have YOUR voice, he's going to have a burly, possibly slightly scottish tone to match his character. You'll provide voices to the NPCs of this world.

Essentially, you are the one man band that is going to make the world you are presenting more real, and immersive. Sometimes that means acting downright silly and ridiculous. If speech and drama classes scare you to death... being a GM may not be for you - or its perfect to hone those skills that usually make you uncomfortable.
◄◄

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces