Welcome to Gaia! ::

I never have and never will switch to the newer system, but currently I'm in the third year of a Vampire: the Masquerade spin-off called "Ghoul: Fatal Addiction" where all the players are ghouls.

The monthly game grew from a seven year science fiction convention game I ran.

Just wondering if anyone else out there still plays the table-top version of any of the WoD games before the big apocalypse in the canon (which we ignore in our games and always have).

In the past I ran a 7 summer VtM game, a multi-type WoD game, a werewolf game, and now this ghoul game. I think the ghoul game is my favorite because it dives into a part of the Vampire system that is often pushed to the side it seems.
I do, actually. I still run Mage: The Ascension on occasion.

As for the big apocalypse...well, it's semi-canon to my last Mage game. I say "semi-canon" because I didn't actually end the world, though that was a possible outcome. I kept track of what my players did, and how that worked in the bigger scheme of things. They made a difference, and kept the world in one piece. Sort of. While the ending was functionally a happy one, it wasn't without a price. Off the top of my head, since I don't have the campaign notes:

- Las Vegas, Bejing, and Istanbul are little more than craters. Rebuilding them is, for whatever reason, impossible. (Vegas, I seem to recall, was leveled by a Technocratic neutron bomb in what was probably the only massive failure on the part of the PCs.)

- Chicago, Seattle and Los Angeles are in ruin, but can be rebuilt.

- Boston and New York remain war zones even after the dust had settled, because

- The Cult of Dagon outright controls Rhode Island and New Jersey. (My nod to Lovecraft, that.)

- Berlin, London, DC, and Rome were heavily damaged, but can easily be repaired.

- Several areas in the Middle East are currently radioactive parking lots; blame for this falls on Israel, Syria and the Technocracy lobbing nukes around in the confusion.

- Most importantly, the mask is off the supernatural world. The part it played in the near-apocalypse couldn't be ignored; Magick, Garou, Kindred, and everything else is now common knowledge. This fact alone has altered the WoD more than anything else that was done.

So...yeah.
That sounds like something we did a bit since we ended up having a werewolf and a changling added to the vampire game along with two players who played ghouls.

It is so cool to learn that others didn't follow the canon and decided to keep things going and are still enjoying the system.

Aged Lunatic

Occasionally do, just because I've been invested in the system since Vampire was a softcover.

My two particular fields of specialty are Hunter: The Reckoning and Technocracy games. I like sticking it to the monsters, what can I say twisted
GunsmithKitten
My two particular fields of specialty are Hunter: The Reckoning and Technocracy games. I like sticking it to the monsters, what can I say twisted

That the Technocracy is not, to be perfectly frank, much better than the things they fight? </snark>

Honestly, I've never been able to get my hands on a copy of the Hunter rulebook, but I do like the concept behind it. As for the technocrats...well, I always played a Son of Ether mage. Enough said.
I don't know much about Hunter or Mage games... do they tend to last for years or seasons like Werewolf and Vampire games do? Do they have a big LARP following?

I've never really got LARP even though my tabletop games are very focused on acting versus dice. Or as I tell my players if you have to roll your dice more than a handful of times per session maybe your acting isn't particularly good tonight or perhaps you've made a bad decision along the way...

Aged Lunatic

NeoSilverThorn

That the Technocracy is not, to be perfectly frank, much better than the things they fight? </snark>

Oh contraire, they ARE much better.

What did the leeches ever give humanity? They prey on them to this day.

The garou? ********, a good deal of them are still emo that they can't slaughter humans at will to keep em in check.

Mages? Don't get me ******** started, each Tradition had it's own unique way of screwing humanity in the a** for it's own pleasure and profit.

Face it, in the grand scheme of old world of darkness, the Technocrats were among the GOOD GUYS. cool

But it's still World of Darkness...even the good guys have to be murderous dicks to make it.

Quote:
As for the technocrats...well, I always played a Son of Ether mage. Enough said.

Those half baked flakes who couldn't cut it with legitimate science? Bah!

(to be fair, my very first M:ta character was an Etherite :p )

Aged Lunatic

thetammyjo
I don't know much about Hunter or Mage games... do they tend to last for years or seasons like Werewolf and Vampire games do? Do they have a big LARP following?

Hunter never got anywhere as a LARP. Hell, in new world, the Hunter game is flat out BANNED from live action play. The games can be easily as long, but often aren't because...well, Hunters DIE. They're still mortal even with all their Imbuements.

Mage, on the other hand oh yes, they can last just as long and did get a sizeable LARP crowd. I even played a Technocracy defector in the old world Minds Eye larp.

Beloved Lunatic

NeoSilverThorn
GunsmithKitten

Honestly, I've never been able to get my hands on a copy of the Hunter rulebook, but I do like the concept behind it. As for the technocrats...well, I always played a Son of Ether mage. Enough said.

Hunter's a good one, well worth seeking out. Also the only WoD game I've managed to get through numerous sessions in. So hard to find a WoD friendly gaming group that sticks together any amount of time.
Bob and Others
NeoSilverThorn

Hunter's a good one, well worth seeking out. Also the only WoD game I've managed to get through numerous sessions in. So hard to find a WoD friendly gaming group that sticks together any amount of time.

I think it depends on so many factors.

In our Sunday games we always switch 2-3 times a year between games so we get variety. In my monthly game, well, it is 13-14 times a year (we have some special sessions from time to time so a bit more than just monthly) so don't really get too bored.

Who you let into your gaming group can be a factor, too. We vet people and folks can only join via existing member recommendation.

I think the style of the GM is important, too. I view my Ghoul game as improv acting with me setting out a scenario and then reacting to what the players do. I'm also willing to give them some time between games to deal with individual character issues but the game time is for the group and I work hard to make sure everyone has something to do.

Of course LIFE just happens too. Our Sunday game was active for about four years then in the course of one month three players had to drop because of work schedule changes. Now we are down to four people so if one has to miss, the game gets canceled.
GunsmithKitten

Mages? Don't get me ******** started, each Tradition had it's own unique way of screwing humanity in the a** for it's own pleasure and profit.

Face it, in the grand scheme of old world of darkness, the Technocrats were among the GOOD GUYS. cool

Dregvant. You deny Truth and the dynamic nature of the tellurian. Your very perception of magic as an anomaly is a testament to your delusional ideology, and you would rather suffocate reality by burying it in falsehood than tame its potential demons.

Iteration X and their Artisan forebearers are the best.

I've a great fondness of oWoD, primarily Mage and Werewolf. The last game I was in was an unfinished Werewolf campaign where I played a Bastet (Khan.) Vampire never really attracted my interest though.

Aged Lunatic

Zombie Lord Moses
GunsmithKitten

Dregvant. You deny Truth and the dynamic nature of the tellurian. Your very perception of magic as an anomaly is a testament to your delusional ideology, and you would rather suffocate reality by burying it in falsehood than tame its potential demons.

You're right. We don't want to tame the "demons".

We prefer to see them destroyed completely. burning_eyes

And by and large, we've done pretty damn good at doing so, despite your efforts to welcome them back into the world so you can ride them like broncos.

Quote:

I'm sorta torn on what happened with IX post-Computer. On the one hand, it was pretty liberating, but it also meant they lost a good deal of convention character.

Quote:
I've a great fondness of oWoD, primarily Mage and Werewolf. The last game I was in was an unfinished Werewolf campaign where I played a Bastet (Khan.)

Only ever did one non-Garou game, but I loved it. I will forever consider the Nagah my favorite weres.
GunsmithKitten

Quote:

I'm sorta torn on what happened with IX post-Computer. On the one hand, it was pretty liberating, but it also meant they lost a good deal of convention character.

What did happen? The computer on Autocthonia? The technocracy was one of the things I read least about. All I remember is that said computer was actually a spirit or something like that, and none of the 'crats knew it.

I also missed a lot of what generally happened around/after the Reckoning, such as the exact nature of what happened at/to Doissetep.

GunsmithKitten

Quote:
I've a great fondness of oWoD, primarily Mage and Werewolf. The last game I was in was an unfinished Werewolf campaign where I played a Bastet (Khan.)

Only ever did one non-Garou game, but I loved it. I will forever consider the Nagah my favorite weres.

I've a hard time choosing. I like the Nagah well enough, but their restrictions meant I'd basically never get the chance to play one unless everyone agreed on an all Nagah game. slim chance.

Aged Lunatic

Zombie Lord Moses
GunsmithKitten

Quote:

What did happen? The computer on Autocthonia? The technocracy was one of the things I read least about. All I remember is that said computer was actually a spirit or something like that, and none of the 'crats knew it.

I also missed a lot of what generally happened around/after the Reckoning, such as the exact nature of what happened at/to Doissetep.

The Computer is basically an Umbral diety. When the gauntlet got sealed off like iron, so too did the Computer.

And the highest ranking Iterators knew it, but of course, by then they were pretty much a permenant part of The Computer and weren't going back home anyway.
What I love about World of Darkness is that it can go in so many directions. The only thing I have to say about it bad is that, and it's purely my fault, I've never played the table top version. I actually run a bi-weekly game out of where I live for my friends in a live action game. I have played Requiem tabletop but wasn't too impressed. I think it was the lack of the old favorites that just took me away from enjoying the game as much as I would have liked to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff