Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm curious....does anyone else get sick of the same ol' fantasy/medieval, fantasy/gothic settings? Besides once DMing about three sessions in Dark Sun, all the games I've been in have been medieval style.

I'm curious if anyone else gets sick of the stock settings, and if so, what do you really want to do sometimes? Go and do an Arabian style game? Maybe an Oriental setting? Do you crave a bizarre Jungle campaign?

Personnally, I've been trying for a long time to get a group to play a Oriental game. One guy is a real p***k about deciding one month it'd be fun to hating the idea the next. I don't know enough regular gamers that are interested in an Oriental kinda game, so I just go through all kinds of ideas on what could be done and never get an opportunity.
Anyone else have problems like these?
Nasulril
I'm curious....does anyone else get sick of the same ol' fantasy/medieval, fantasy/gothic settings? Besides once DMing about three sessions in Dark Sun, all the games I've been in have been medieval style.

I'm curious if anyone else gets sick of the stock settings, and if so, what do you really want to do sometimes? Go and do an Arabian style game? Maybe an Oriental setting? Do you crave a bizarre Jungle campaign?

Personnally, I've been trying for a long time to get a group to play a Oriental game. One guy is a real p***k about deciding one month it'd be fun to hating the idea the next. I don't know enough regular gamers that are interested in an Oriental kinda game, so I just go through all kinds of ideas on what could be done and never get an opportunity.
Anyone else have problems like these?

Sure, stock settings get boring. AD&D provides for this with handy planar shifting spells. Bored with your current campaign? Planeshift them somewhere else.

And not that I'm recommending doing this frequently, but if you have a fence-sitter, get him in a game, planeshift so he doesn't have a choice, and then let him decide whether or not he likes it. You're the DM (I'm assuming) and it's your say.
Personally my favorite non standered D&D setting is Ravenloft, which is a Fantasy Horror setting which used to be owned by TSR but now is being produced by Arthaus/WhiteWolf.

But I have always preferred the non-standered settings like Planescape, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer, and Birthright. To the more standered boring stuff like the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk..
well I hate standard with as much hate as my little hate filled mind can hatfuly muster, but then again maybe it's less hate it's so hard to tell :p

but yes i love nostandard with as much love as my little hate filled mind can muster (odd not all that much love)

it's all about the spelljammer or some time dragonstar or... no wait I like them the most.
I've wanted to play in an Oriental game for ever.

Just never seem to catch any luck, though. Shame, that.
I would give my left testicle to NOT play in an oriental setting for a fantasy game.

That said, I would give my right testicle to play in a Sci-Fi setting that is not run with the D20 system.
And I would give both of Threx's testicles to play an Oriental Sci-Fi setting using a d% system.
DracoObscura
And I would give both of Threx's testicles to play an Oriental Sci-Fi setting using a d% system.

Stinkoman 20X6 ... d20!
Didn't I ask for a d% system? You only get one of Threx's testicles. Which would you like? The left goes well with a '45 Merlot, the right goes best with champagne.

<edit>
I just realized how thoroughly disgusting the above is. I'm not erasing it, just commenting. Thank you for your time.
</edit>
DracoObscura
Didn't I ask for a d% system? You only get one of Threx's testicles. Which would you like? The left goes well with a '45 Merlot, the right goes best with champagne.

<edit>
I just realized how thoroughly disgusting the above is. I'm not erasing it, just commenting. Thank you for your time.
</edit>

Either of them would go nice with a Guiness. However, they arnt for eating, only for trade for ideal gaming :p
Have you ever seen the planescape setting? I would crash a dump truck full of puppies into a dumptruck full of kittens just for the fun of it. But I would stop someone else from doing it to play a decent game in a planescape setting.
I've played in alot of different settings. As of latly I've been running a game in the Ebberon setting. I find that if I change the pace and think about what I can do to be a different gamemaster for my players it is so. As for completly different stuff I started play Starwars recently and its been pretty rewarding so far.

A couple pointers for people looking to play starwars instead of dnd
-wound points and what happens when you take them (watch out!)
-rapid shot works differently be careful
-sport the cash and get a starwars sound track, its totally worth it!
starsrift

Sure, stock settings get boring. AD&D provides for this with handy planar shifting spells. Bored with your current campaign? Planeshift them somewhere else.

And not that I'm recommending doing this frequently, but if you have a fence-sitter, get him in a game, planeshift so he doesn't have a choice, and then let him decide whether or not he likes it. You're the DM (I'm assuming) and it's your say.

My problem is finding players I can stand who want to play something besides stock. There's one guy I know that will play anything as long as he gets a chance to break gameplay horribly (as in powergame), one guy who will like an idea but get bored with it in two weeks, and a handful who go "Ok, sounds cool...let me know when you've got something set up" but then never show.... stare

At least it's good to know I have a kindred spirit in Peddy, at least in the Oriental department.

I just wish WOTC would get up off it's a** and do something other than Ebberron. I know some people like it, but c'mon...at least start a new campaign competition or something. (And maybe this time NOT choose the final three to be guys who write material for ******** WOTC assholes...that was such s**t, some 'fan competition' when three pros are the finalists.)
Try either Oriental Adventures, or Legend of the Five Rings.
Planescape rules, just because I can import a character from ANYWHERE. I've played a giant spider, a Neopet, a Shaper from Geneforge (gee, did THAT piss a nice bunch of Powers off), a lie (from The Neverending Story... my character was literally a lie), and an aeon (that was a weird one). There've been cameos by Superman, Jon Irenicus and the Blue Man Group before. Best thing is, if your normal campaign gets boring, BAM, PORTAL! Planescape! Yay!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff