Welcome to Gaia! ::

Star-Crossed Shapeshifter

♥~

This forum is just full of D&D-ers it looks like. I've seen one or two WoD threads and maybe one Star Wars?

I'm guessing there's not a lot of lurkers around here playing other stuff? I was thinking about asking about Cyberpunk 2020 or Traveler, as I'm setting up an online game, but I wonder if there are really many people here who look into non-D&D/WoD?

ITT: Non-D&D / WoD systems ?

~♥
Variable Nonsense
, but I kinda wish I could find some people who wanted to play a game of Paranoia. That would probably be best in person though.

********, Yeah I'm game haven't played in awhile though I still remember the rules- err I know nothing. I'll play if you get some people together

Paranoia or Paranoia XP?
felix1942
Variable Nonsense
, but I kinda wish I could find some people who wanted to play a game of Paranoia. That would probably be best in person though.

********, Yeah I'm game haven't played in awhile though I still remember the rules- err I know nothing. I'll play if you get some people together

Paranoia or Paranoia XP?

There is no difference. There are no rules, just what friend computer says.

Eh, I've only played D&D, a couple of games of paranoia, and one intro game to cthulhutech. I nabbed a copy of an old traveller book but I can't get my head around it :stupid:

Bashful Browser

I know the system to various D&D editions and talk D&D a fair amount on this forum but they aren't my games of choice or what I'm playing at the moment.

White Wolf's Exalted is probably my favorite system/setting though I haven't been able to play it all that much.

My only ongoing campaign right now is a playtest of a homebrew 1d6 system which is similar in many details to D&D 1st ed.

Hilarious Elocutionist

Cyberpunk 2020 would be awesome, but I'm more of a fan of Shadowrun personally. Now that the new edition came out a little while back, it's been updated and is awesome. If you like Cyberpunk 2020, look into Shadowrun (I think it's 4th Ed now)

Versatile Genius

9,250 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm a big BESM and GURPS fan, I love exhalted- I kinda like Scion... I've played a lot of different systems and am generally willing to give anything at least one fair go... hell- I even like the beer and pretzel system xD.... ya know, Kobolds Ate my Baby, Ninja Burger...
Variable Nonsense
♥~

This forum is just full of D&D-ers it looks like. I've seen one or two WoD threads and maybe one Star Wars?

I'm guessing there's not a lot of lurkers around here playing other stuff? I was thinking about asking about Cyberpunk 2020 or Traveler, as I'm setting up an online game, but I wonder if there are really many people here who look into non-D&D/WoD?

My group is really interested in Cyberpunk 2020, but I kinda wish I could find some people who wanted to play a game of Paranoia. That would probably be best in person though.

ITT: Non-D&D / WoD systems ?

~♥

I was an avid Call of Cthuhlu player back in the day but alas my group spread to the four winds and I haven't found one that I like so far. I have done it as a Keeper and as an investigator.

Mutants and Master Minds is another pet system of mine.

I bought the rules for Shadowrun but never got around to playing it.

What other systems have you tried? Did you like them or hate them?

felix1942
♥~

It would really depend on the group, honestly. I like the B-feel of the original editions but Friend Computer is the best no matter when it is!

I'll have to poke around then, though. Paranoia would be pretty fun online, much easier for collaborating with secrets - not as though anyone has secrets of course! That would be treason!

~♥
bruised cervix
♥~

Traveler is pretty heavy, but it's really interesting if you can get some people together that can wrap around it. I tend to do rules-lighter things online though, so I probably wouldn't be playing it online. I don't know if I could teach anyone to play anyway. D: lol.

And greetings fellow Friend Computer friend!

~♥
epiclevelwarrior
♥~

Aaaaaa Exalted. <3 I'm a big fan of WW even if I'm asking about other systems here. Exalted is ... has the potential for hilarious fun if you have a good group. And serious fun. And absurd power gaming too! It's probably my favourite system I've played in-person actually sitting around at a table.

d6 systems are fairly fun in my opinion. Is it available anywhere or is it their/your homebrew?

~♥
Alexander Kylandros
♥~

I'm familiar with Shadowrun. I like it, but it's more rules-heavy than Cyberpunk 2020, which makes it a bit harder to run online unless you have vets of the system. My current group is less than interested in mixing arcane with their cyberpunk anyway, hence me sticking with it for the moment. :3

We're probably going to play a game with it tomorrow actually.

And then it will end up devolving into Risus when we're all too tired to think anymore AHAHAHA.

~♥
Jun Valson
♥~

Ninja Burger. <3 Ninja Burger reminds me that I'm sad I lost my Munchkin deck.

I like a lot of systems and will generally at least read over anything once. I like BESM, but I prefer Exalted for anime-y type things. ow o

~♥
Karl_Krebs
♥~

Aaah! The other system my group was contemplating playing was CoC. I've never gotten to PLAY it so I'm pretty excited, though it'll be tweaked for homebrew mythology instead of the Cthulu mythos. Same sort of system though.

Myself? uhh, let's see. I've played D&D 2nd, 3rd / 3.5 ... Vampire: the Masquerade, Exalted, Orpheus, some homebrew stuff, BESM, Werewolf: whatever that subtitle is, GURPS... I've READ a lot more systems, and ultimately I really dislike a lot of d20 systems. I'm a fan of d10 and d6 moreso, for the most part. Most of my groups I've been in haven't played anything different so I've only gotten to read and talk about them and it makes me sad.

I really want to try Don't Rest Your Head, too. And Mouse Guard, oddly.

~♥
Variable Nonsense
Mouse Guard.

will not disappoint, mouse guard is great.
I've no preference between XP and original I just wanted to know. so should we get a group together and how should we run games, through skype would probably work best.

felix1942
♥~

I've heard it's fun.

I'll let you know. I don't have Skype atm but the other members of my group do. so i probably should.

~♥
In 12 years of tabletop roleplaying I've never actually played D&D, so I know how you feel about the lack of other games being mentioned on the forum. There have been a couple of "what games have you played" threads floating around with some truly impressive lists, but for some reason D&D seem to attract the most attention.

I haven't played Cyberpunk 2020, though, and only one (hilarious) con game of Paranoia XP.

Unbeatable Strategist

I myself play a lot of WoD, I used to play DnD, up until around the cusp of 2nd and 3rd editions. I never played 3.5 per-se, and was contemplating trying pathfinder when DnD 4.0 came out (it didn't do anything for me at all). Hearing about 5.0 seems like it is just more of WOTC trying to make a "lets everyone hold hands and play nice with the system" when they already have lost many a person to pathfinder.

I came to discover that "class limitation" systems, levels and "exp required to get to character level X" make gaming sometimes, in some cases feel like a video game. While I truly do miss the "fantasy" setting provided by some of the DnD supplements and worlds, I have come to discover that WoD more or less has been trying to "clean up" their systems since the VTM 20A launch.

While I am particularly impressed with the "no character level" system that WoD puts out, it still goes to reason that there can be a difference in power between characters, without breaking (or monetizing) the system. Though characters have no "class skills" they do have things such as "clan disciplines" or "house lores" etc etc (whatever book your playing). These various flavors while still allowing a character to improve themselves, don't necessarily restrict general growth; using VTM as an example, If a person really wanted to play a rouge-like type of character, they could just as well be a malkavian, nosferatu or ravnos, but all the same, if they didn't want to play a character who uses sneaky obfuscate (A cloaking power which makes you less noticable), it doesn't restrict them from just as well, dedicating some time to larceny/security, stealth or dexterity, all of which are vital for the typical "sneaking around corners" types.

These type of "molds" help build "character concepts" without having a class tell you down to the letter what you can and cant do. My biggest concern is the 14 year old kid who wants to play a 200 year old elder, but has the life experience and player mentality (ergo his character reflects this in their behaviorism) of a 14 year old, then again, I suppose any DM would have the same type of munchkin issue for people who make ridiculous cross classing in DnD games (Paladin/Rogue anyone?).

I find that WoD games are a bit more "demanding" of their players seriousness (or at least in practicality), as opposed to the good times some people might have just spent in their basement playing DnD for hours on end. Such is the tradeoff of playing a game that doesn't give you guideline character creation safety nets. Find the right group however, and its good times for everyone..
Variable Nonsense

~♥
bruised cervix
♥~

Traveler is pretty heavy, but it's really interesting if you can get some people together that can wrap around it. I tend to do rules-lighter things online though, so I probably wouldn't be playing it online. I don't know if I could teach anyone to play anyway. D: lol.

And greetings fellow Friend Computer friend!

Very heavy. I can't even understand the character creation stuff. Old games are crazy >_> oh, I wasn't asking or anything like, that, just mentioning it to the thread.

Heh, paranoia is fun silliness <3

Lazarous
♥~

It seems strange to me, honestly, that there are so many excellent systems out there, but so many people just fall to D&D seemingly by default. Maybe it's just because they never hear about them? I've seen quite a few gaming shops with a hundred D&D supplements, but I would have never known about, say, Paranoia if not for the interwebz.

~♥
Dorian
♥~

I like WW's systems, WoD and Exalted both as they're fairly classless except for a few specific abilities ( which generally you can learn anyway with the right dedication, except for a few notable examples ) ... but I do have to argue with it being taken seriously; I've had people take D&D very seriously and get into their rolls amazingly - in particular stands out a group I held for ~20 hours straight once, because everyone was so "in" to the story they wouldn't let me stop DMing it. (/creys) On the same note, I've seen Vampire be extremely touching, fuzzy, and lighthearted. It all depends on who's running the game.

And if you're talking about fluff, well, I generally deviate from established fluff in most of my games. I've been roleplaying for about 15 years now and some of their stuff is a bit overdone in my opinion. Hahah. But the base and the setup / system can be amazing. I guess like you say, it does depend on having a good group that's there to have fun (whether it's serious fun or silly fun really shouldn't matter as long as you're all on the same page).

~♥
bruised cervix
♥~

Oh! I wasn't implying you were asking for teaching, sorry. It just got me thinking that I'd never be able to RUN Traveler because I couldn't explain it well to my players. XD

~♥

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
No mention of Legend of the Five Rings or 7th Sea? For shame!

Just kidding, but I do enjoy both the above systems. A lot of work was put into making the cultures and customs feel right, and I can appreciate that. The systems themselves are spot-on as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff