Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Okay so here's my issue, I need to find out how many skill points I start out with. it says its your int modifier+2x4 but in the example it says the characters int is 14 but it says that with that you do 8+2x4 my dilemma is where did the eight come from when the int is 14. it doesn't explain how to find my int mondifier. I know I have to sound like some sort of desperate a*****e but please help me with this.

Demonic Legion

Where did you find this example? It's been a long time since I played D&D in any form but if that formula is correct than the example is wrong. 14 INT would only give a mod of +2 which should make the equation 2+2x4

Its either a typo or I've been playing 3.5 the wrong way for years.

Dapper Fatcat

In my personal experience, you could ask your DM. Some people like to do things differently, so maybe s/he could help.
And, I would ignore the example. If the book tells you to do it, do it. However, I might not be a 100% help, since my boyfriend/DM always changes things up.
edit: the example could also come from the books' random character that it made for examples. I don't own any 3.5 books, but in 4e, they kinda mash up a character for you to maybe see what they're like. Maybe it's doing the same...?

Original Gaian

Cougarscythe
Okay so here's my issue, I need to find out how many skill points I start out with. it says its your int modifier+2x4 but in the example it says the characters int is 14 but it says that with that you do 8+2x4 my dilemma is where did the eight come from when the int is 14. it doesn't explain how to find my int mondifier. I know I have to sound like some sort of desperate a*****e but please help me with this.

It's likely a typo since the books are riddled with them [like the infamous d33, or half the content in the draconomicon]

Your skills are [at level 1] [INT Mod + Class bonus] x4. If you're human, add 4, otherwise that's it.
Cougarscythe

Playing a Rogue? The 8+2x4 is how many skill points a rogue gets at first level. The first number is determined by your class, so in the example you gave us, I'm pretty sure that a rogue is the only one that gets 8 skill points per level. Of course, at first, you get x4 points, and can put up to four points in any of your class skills.

Original Gaian

Yukienesa
Cougarscythe

Playing a Rogue? The 8+2x4 is how many skill points a rogue gets at first level. The first number is determined by your class, so in the example you gave us, I'm pretty sure that a rogue is the only one that gets 8 skill points per level. Of course, at first, you get x4 points, and can put up to four points in any of your class skills.
Based on what he's written, I'm assuming his class has a skill of 2+int since he wrote "your int modifier+2x4"
Cougarscythe

The 8 would be your class base (that has to be a rogue, since only rogues have 8 in base D&D 3.5.)

The 2 in the example is your Int modifier. For any given stat, you can get its modifier this way: divide by 2, round down, then subtract 5. That is, int(stat/2)-5.

So for a 14 stat, you'd have int(14/2)-5 = 2, for a +2. For a 15, because 7.5 rounds down, you'd still have +2. If you happened to have a 47 Strength, it'd work the same way. int(47/2)-5 = +18.

It's also in handy chart form.

In the example, it's not 8+2x4 - it's much better than that. (8+2)x4 = 40 at first level, 10 for each level after that. This is enough to keep 10 skills maxed out if you want. 3nodding
a modifier is 1point for every 2 points. 0 modifier starts at 10 because 10 is average in the model.

18 m +4
16 m +3
15 mod +2
14 mod +2 { int mod = 2.} 2+2x4=16. example in book was a random example.
13 mod +1
12 mod +1
11 mod 0
10 mod 0
9 mod -1
8. mod -1
7 mod -2
6 mod -2
5 mod -3
4 mod -3

use this table for reference.

5,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Thanks guys I figured it out though modifier is base stat-10 divided by two. But thanks for your help :3

Original Gaian

Cougarscythe
Thanks guys I figured it out though modifier is base stat-10 divided by two. But thanks for your help :3

Which is exactly the same as what Sandokiri said... (Base-10)/2 = (base/2)-5

5,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
SufferingPlanet
Cougarscythe

Which is exactly the same as what Sandokiri said... (Base-10)/2 = (base/2)-5
didn't really read many of the posts to be totally honest. I had figured it out shortly after posting this thread just never got around to posting here that I found it out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff