Welcome to Gaia! ::

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
Damn they went hardcore with the bans this time. Shutting down every single ******** pod deck like that.
EDIT: Ok maybe the banning wasn't that harsh lol

Now the only tier one modern deck that has yet to be ruined is affinity and i'm so glad that's the deck I play lol

So what do you all think of the new bans? The unbanned cards?

Here is my source

Dedcadent Pants

Is it really as bad as the June 1st, 2008 announcement, which wiped out all but one deck in Vintage?

Seriously - 9 sphere doesn't do much against Dredge, regardless of whether or not you play the aggro version or the control version, and of course, Flash, GAT, Oath, and Fish were all gutted, if not outright removed.

And Worldgorger was still banned in Legacy? I thought they'd unbanned it a while ago.

yaamsu's Husbando

Borg

I only play casually, so i'm glad this didn't touch my budget deck in any way lol

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
LiaThistle
Is it really as bad as the June 1st, 2008 announcement, which wiped out all but one deck in Vintage?

Seriously - 9 sphere doesn't do much against Dredge, regardless of whether or not you play the aggro version or the control version, and of course, Flash, GAT, Oath, and Fish were all gutted, if not outright removed.

And Worldgorger was still banned in Legacy? I thought they'd unbanned it a while ago.
I nearly forgot about that ban! You're right, it isn't so bad, I guess I'm biased since I had a kiki pod deck and now I don't lol

And yeah for some reason worldgorger dragon was still banned. I'm not really too impressed with it being unbanned at all. It doesn't do too much to the format now.

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
Gnast
I only play casually, so i'm glad this didn't touch my budget deck in any way lol
It hurt my foiled out kiki pod deck so bad :c I worked so hard on it but that's ok. At least my two favorite decks weren't touched. Affinity and ANTS all the way!

Dedcadent Pants

Twinkles_the_Kat
LiaThistle

I nearly forgot about that ban! You're right, it isn't so bad, I guess I'm biased since I had a kiki pod deck and now I don't lol

And yeah for some reason worldgorger dragon was still banned. I'm not really too impressed with it being unbanned at all. It doesn't do too much to the format now.

Yeah, I've been an advocate of unbanning Worldgorger since it got banned, and more so when Leyline of Sanctity was printed. By that point, there was so much disruption, Worldgorger really didn't have a place. As I know they've printed nastier things since, it really was an overdue unban.

Looking at what the did ban for Legacy/Vintage, all I have to say is "didn't think that card through when you made it, did you?" Kind of like Tezzeret the Seeker.

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
LiaThistle
Twinkles_the_Kat
LiaThistle

Yeah, I've been an advocate of unbanning Worldgorger since it got banned, and more so when Leyline of Sanctity was printed. By that point, there was so much disruption, Worldgorger really didn't have a place. As I know they've printed nastier things since, it really was an overdue unban.

Looking at what the did ban for Legacy/Vintage, all I have to say is "didn't think that card through when you made it, did you?" Kind of like Tezzeret the Seeker.
I'm glad they finally realized Worldgorger Dragon isn't really a thing anymore.

I died laughing when I saw Treasure cruise banned and restricted lol It was such a quick ban that it didn't really have a chance! I feel bad for the people that were collecting the foils though. Ouch. Wizards really need to think these things through before just putting an insane card out there like that.

I wonder what's going to be next on the ban list? All my friends are saying jeskai ascendancy but really it's not that reliable of a deck in my opinion. It's fun, I must admit, But not a deck I could see being a huge problem now.

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
Affinty was hurt from the start, and its still good and alot of fun
Ascendancy really isnt a problem, Combo decks are a bit annoying however. and cruise is good but its not that good in limited so thats okay.

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
Pauginxz
Ascendancy really isnt a problem, Combo decks are a bit annoying however. and cruise is good but its not that good in limited so thats okay.
affinity is so much fun but I really did love my kiki pod deck. I do agree that combo is annoying but it is so much better when you are the one playing them lol. I'm not upset about treasure cruise either, maybe because I didn't play it at all? the foil was pretty though

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
Twinkles_the_Kat
Pauginxz
affinity is so much fun but I really did love my kiki pod deck. I do agree that combo is annoying but it is so much better when you are the one playing them lol. I'm not upset about treasure cruise either, maybe because I didn't play it at all? the foil was pretty though

cruise was a really strong card.. at my shop i need to find out if the 4 mainboard relics are still needed which i dont think they are haha

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
LiaThistle

Its not that bad. In fact, I consider it a good banning.

Birthing Pod has been in consideration for years now. It consistently did well. It was the most forgiving deck to play in the format. Plus it only got better since every set had creatures to take advantage of.

Treasure Cruise is pretty self explanatory considering its ban in Legacy and Restriction in Vintage.

Dig Through Time would have easily filled the void left by Treasure Cruise.

Now the thing that intrigues me mostly is the unbanning of Golgari-Grave Troll. Does this mean that Dredge has a chance? Or that a new deck can appear? Or does it simply mean nothing?

TL : DR Modern has been set back a few years. Format wide open. All is good.

Dedcadent Pants

Liquidor
LiaThistle

Birthing Pod has been in consideration for years now. It consistently did well. It was the most forgiving deck to play in the format. Plus it only got better since every set had creatures to take advantage of.

Treasure Cruise is pretty self explanatory considering its ban in Legacy and Restriction in Vintage.

Now the thing that intrigues me mostly is the unbanning of Golgari-Grave Troll. Does this mean that Dredge has a chance? Or that a new deck can appear? Or does it simply mean nothing?

From what I remember before leaving, there was a variation of Dredge that was viable, if not top tier. Obviously, new cards may have made it more or less viable since then, I don't know.

My guess, though, is they want to open up the format and see if everyone diversifies or if everyone clumps into a few decks. If they can achieve a greater diversification through Dredge's increased viability, then that's better for them. However, if they find that the unbanning of it results in the clumping, they'll probably just re-ban it.

In regards to Treasure Cruise, after looking at it, like I said above, it should have been obvious what it would do to the format. I mean, letting blue run without Yawgmoth's Win Will? What nonsense is that?

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
LiaThistle
Liquidor
LiaThistle

From what I remember before leaving, there was a variation of Dredge that was viable, if not top tier. Obviously, new cards may have made it more or less viable since then, I don't know.

My guess, though, is they want to open up the format and see if everyone diversifies or if everyone clumps into a few decks. If they can achieve a greater diversification through Dredge's increased viability, then that's better for them. However, if they find that the unbanning of it results in the clumping, they'll probably just re-ban it.

Dredge hasn't been viable as a deck since the early, early days of Modern.

Modern is probably has the most diverse meta of any the sanctioned competitive formats. At its most clumped, its still a rock-paper-scissors-spock-lizard type format. Being able to pick decks based on preference rather than performance is why I still play it.

Dedcadent Pants

Liquidor
Dredge hasn't been viable as a deck since the early, early days of Modern.

Modern is probably has the most diverse meta of any the sanctioned competitive formats. At its most clumped, its still a rock-paper-scissors-spock-lizard type format. Being able to pick decks based on preference rather than performance is why I still play it.

That's about when I left, if that places about how old my information is.

That being said, has Legacy congealed into a few decks, then?

xshoco's Queen

Biggest Star

18,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Champion 300
Pauginxz
Twinkles_the_Kat
Pauginxz

cruise was a really strong card.. at my shop i need to find out if the 4 mainboard relics are still needed which i dont think they are haha
I guess I never looked twice at cruise because I don't play it. Everyone at my store was into pod and aggressive decks so we never saw too much card draw haha

Relics in affinity? Honestly I don't play my affinity with any relics and it places first nearly every week

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff