Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Sage

12,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
Hello all you lovely folk!

I have been playing MTG very casually for about 10 years, but one of my friends has endeavored to drag me to FNM. So, I am trying to build a solid Standard deck. Since I am on a strict budget (no Snapcasters for me!), I would like to stay away from any card much over 4 dollars a pop.

So far, I rather like the Delver strategies. I've looked at many Standard decks posted online, and I would like your advice on how to really make one hum. What are key pieces, and what might I have more wiggle room with? What colors/cards go best with the strategy?

Thanks for any advice!

Girl-Crazy Grabber

While Snaps really push this archtype over the top there were builds on modo going 3-1 and 4-0 in dailies in a very budget fashion. Going for the metalcraft theme is asking for too much, Delver really wants a high number of instants and sorceries.

Budget Delver

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Grand Architect
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Spined Thopter
Creatures [16]
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Mana Leak
4 Ponder
4 Runechanter's Pike
4 Thought Scour
4 Vapor Snag
Spells [24]
20 Island

Budget Delver
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Signal Pest
2 Stitched Drake
Creatures [14]
4 Dissipate
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Mana Leak
4 Ponder
3 Runechanter's Pike
3 Spectral Flight
4 Vapor Snag
Spells [26]
20 Island

Budget Delver
4 AEther Adept
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Invisible Stalker
Creatures [12]
2 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Mana Leak
4 Ponder
4 Runechanter's Pike
3 Silver-Inlaid Dagger
2 Thought Scour
4 Vapor Snag
Spells [26]
22 Island

These are some rough skeletons I hope they help. Good luck.

Lonely Conversationalist

spectral flight on invisible stalker is pretty rad. best budget deck is jund pod imo

Fashionable Raider

6,925 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
i say the bottom deck is the best of the 3
Budget Delver
4 AEther Adept
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Invisible Stalker
Creatures [12]
2 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Mana Leak
4 Ponder
4 Runechanter's Pike
3 Silver-Inlaid Dagger
2 Thought Scour
4 Vapor Snag
Spells [26]
22 Island

the main issue with this build is it is missing utility land Moorland Haunt, which allows you to make a flying dude at the end of your oppents turn.Only issue with that is youneed to spruse the mana base, probably looking at getting 4 glacial fortress,3 morrland haunts and then 10 islands 5 plains. this whit mana productions also allows you to have some cards in side board that will help against certain match ups.

For the sideboard i'd say look for flash freeze to side out mana leaks against wolf run, mono-green and reddeck win decks, 3 negates against the mirror matches and contols and some sort of life gain for slower matches, butcher's cleaver offt the top of the head but there would be others.

now for white cards in side board i would suggest revoke existance for exiling artifacts and enchanments, celestial purge exiles black and red permenants.

but i would say the main thing would be to either sleeve up these different decks and proxy cards you don't have first to see how they play against your friends standards and see what works for you
SaintTape
Hello all you lovely folk!

I have been playing MTG very casually for about 10 years, but one of my friends has endeavored to drag me to FNM. So, I am trying to build a solid Standard deck. Since I am on a strict budget (no Snapcasters for me!), I would like to stay away from any card much over 4 dollars a pop.

So far, I rather like the Delver strategies. I've looked at many Standard decks posted online, and I would like your advice on how to really make one hum. What are key pieces, and what might I have more wiggle room with? What colors/cards go best with the strategy?

Thanks for any advice!

white weenie xD
there arent to many costly ones and as long as u have Elite Inquisitor it will be good against most of what will be in Standard
I'd suggest a tempered steel deck. Yes those still exist, and people don't really expect them. Tempered Steel itself is about $3-4, and everything else is kind of optional depending on how you build it.

Tipsy Loiterer

Delver huh? Ok so start with blue, add a color, add the best cards in those colors you want to buy. You're done.

Wealthy Businessman

10,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
hello

good cards for delver:

Base
2-4x ruinchanter's pikes (like $1-2 ea)
3-4x invisible stalkers ($0.5 ea)
4x gitaxian probe
2-3 thought scour (mill yourself for the pike O.o)
4x ponder
4x vapor snag
4x gut shot (kills images, inkmoth's, etc)
4x mana leek
2-4x dissipate

Other good cards
4x timely reinforcements
2-4x oblivion ring
2x moorland haunt (land, like 1$ ea)
4x midnight haunting (pick between this or timely, both have benefits)

midnights benefit = instant speed, timely's benefit=gain life. sadly delver <3 snapcaster and all of the goodness that either white and black offer (3 color delver) cause you can play dismember and Lingering Souls. Corrosive Gale is really good for sideboard.

delver is played in spirits

seen below:

Maindeck

Creature [16]
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Drogskol Captain
2 Geist of Saint Traft
Instant [9]
4 Mana Leak
3 Vapor Snag