Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm getting back into MTG.. been doing so the last few months. When work hasn't been eating into my time.

The local shop has started up a Peasant Tourney/league for the next few months.

Those who don't know what that is. It's simply limited deck builds, not unlike Standard and Modern and Vintage and Commander.

Peasant is using nothing but commons and upto five uncommons in the deck. Nothing else. At least the locals rulings and variation is this.

I went and played last week. Deck was too slow and I got stomped pretty badly. So for this week I'd like to get some advice and help on crafting a new build. As my deck building skills are pretty much ten plus years out of use.

It's Standard based. So only Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, M14 and Theros commons and uncommons can be used. I have pretty good collection of Maze, M14 and Theros commons and uncommons.

So with that can anyone suggest some deck builds?
I am not particular about colors or combinations. At this point I don't have a preferred playstyle anymore.

I have been leaning into Black and Blue or Black and Green.. but anything I can build that's fairly basic/fast/aggressive would be useful.

So any thoughts?

Girl-Crazy Grabber

I'd advise checking out the MODO results for pauper. Lots of solid decks. Last I looked into it Delver, Burn or infect were all reasonable chocies.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Emrakul
I'd advise checking out the MODO results for pauper. Lots of solid decks. Last I looked into it Delver, Burn or infect were all reasonable chocies.

Linkage for MODO? As I said getting back in.. so I have no idea what that stands for.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

http://decks.mtgoacademy.com/Tournament/12571

Hope this is the droid you're looking for.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Emrakul
http://decks.mtgoacademy.com/Tournament/12571

Hope this is the droid you're looking for.

Yes and no.

Some interesting things... but I need decks that fall under the current Standard block of commons.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Oh my bad, how about something like mono red. It can translate to pauper just take the shell of the build with the 1/1 for 1 heroic guy that makes dudes when he's targeted.
Mono red in general is cheap to build and a solid deck choice really. I'm an esper player and playing against that deck is a nightmare for me. A good list is this one here:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=60510

The only thing is that it needs a few rares but aside from that it's mostly commons and uncommons.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Dark Angel Suigintou
Mono red in general is cheap to build and a solid deck choice really. I'm an esper player and playing against that deck is a nightmare for me. A good list is this one here:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=60510

The only thing is that it needs a few rares but aside from that it's mostly commons and uncommons.

Ah you didn't read the first post.
While it may be a nice deck.. it's not what i seek.
I am looking for PAUPER ideas and suggestions.

Which means nothing but commons.. and 5 uncommons.

No rares.. no mythics..

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
It wouldn't take much to simply remove the 8 rares from that decklist and replace with inferior cards such as more unleash that is cost efficient, or more burn. It actually has a fairly solid core to it that should be fairly pauper friendly.

Questionable Rogue

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Zeddicuus
It wouldn't take much to simply remove the 8 rares from that decklist and replace with inferior cards such as more unleash that is cost efficient, or more burn. It actually has a fairly solid core to it that should be fairly pauper friendly.

It more then 8 rares.. it's nearly half the deck.

All the uncommons but five cards have to come out as well.
19 cards.. 14 if I kept any of the uncommons.

Of course this does not include the sideboard.

That's a fair chunk of the deck being swapped out.

Though what's left isn't a bad spell lineup.

It's mostly I'll have to dig around in my commons to see what I have for options. Alternatively I could grab some other color. Some cheap black or green creatues with Deathtouch or bestow that I can target on Akroan wouldn't be bad.. not to mention the hate black has in the way commons.. or the other targeting instants green has... hmmm.
I've never played Pauper, but if I were to what I would do is read about some drafting decks, and base my deck off of that. Those drafting decks rely the most on commons because you are not very likely to get the uncommons or rares that you desire.

If you do run mono red, make sure to dedicate some of 5 uncommon slots for Young Pyromancer.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'd probably go red or red/black. something along the lines of:

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Gore-House Chainwalker
3x Rakdos Cackler
4x Rubblebelt Maaka
4x Scorchwalker

4x Lightning Strike
4x Shock
4x Titan's Strength
4x Madcap Skills
2x Magma Jet

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Along the same Vein....

Creatures

4 Akroan Crusader
4 Gore-house Chain Walker
4 Rakdos-shred freak
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rubbleblet Makka
4 Frostburn Weird
Lands
17 Mountain
Spells
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Madcap Skills
4 Lightning Strike
4 Titan's Strength
4 Shock

This is a little rough but hope it helps.

Amateur Prophet

17 land in a 60 card deck is really low.

Tipsy Loiterer

Not when you curve out at 2

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas