Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've got a character idea for a devil-may-care, risk-taking sorceress. I want to do outlandish thins with her, and have her be able to do things that you wouldn't normally see a sorceress doing...like entering melee combat and winning, and all that. However, I'm not sure how to do it quite yet, as Sorcerers don't get much besides a ton of spell castings per day.

The character is a human with good Dex, Cha, and Int scores. Everything else is mediocre to lame. So far I'm thinking perhaps she could fight with an exotic weapon, like the Spike Chain, and take an odd complement of skills and feats. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything.
2 Suggestions. 1: Battle Sorcerer in the Unearthed Arcana. Its a Variant of it obviously but it's quite cool and they will survive for a reasonable amount of time.
2: Warmage in the Complete Arcane Manual. They just rule, put simply.
3: You could multi-class as a Fighter/Sorcerer, but that isn't exactly the best idea.

Hope it goes well. PM me if you have quizzes about the classes.
Hm. Without the books for those PrCs, they're not really viable options. There's a comic shop nearby here that might have those books though, and if I'm sneaky I can get the info from them.
Let me put it this way.

DMG 3.5. Dragon Disciple. Breath weapon, claws, bites, bigger hit dice.
I would suggest being a bladesinger/sorceror but you need the Complete Warrior in order to do that. If you have to stick to the core rulebooks I would suggest getting alot of spells witch enhance your combat ability or hinder your opponents so that you can beat the crap out them.
If you really want to be "devil-may-care" try the Wild Mage in Complete Arcane.
Exarion
I would suggest being a bladesinger/sorceror but you need the Complete Warrior in order to do that. If you have to stick to the core rulebooks I would suggest getting alot of spells witch enhance your combat ability or hinder your opponents so that you can beat the crap out them.

*slaps you with the back edge of a Kukri*

NEVER say "bladesinger" within fifty leagues of me. smile

-Galateal: What did they do to my Wild Mage? As in, how much did they change it from the glorious 2e: Tome o' Magic days?

-------

EN: What books do you have?

-Battle Sorcerer: Basically, lose one casting and one known per spell level at all levels (minimum keep one,) and get d8 for HD, the bard's ability to wear light armour with no ASF, and one Martial weapon.

If you go this route, I'd focus mostly on buffs, abjurations, and big damage spells. Polymorph (cast on self) is broken for this sort of combat-oriented mage --- be sure to take it once you hit Level 8. Shapechange much later, even better.

A core sorcerer can be played the same way, but for the low HP. You might consider *at least* "mediocre" Con, if you insist on the stat spreads you have there.

Personally, I'd say yer character sounds more like the Errol Flynn mold of *bard.*
If you honestly wanted to be an odd melee type sorcerer I'd say take the Half-Dragon template, stock yourself with tons of buffer spells, take some cool exotic weapon proficiencies and feats (Improved trip, Improved Sunder, anything most players don't use...) and go nuts. I tested out a Half-Dragon Sorcer that was about fifth level and had him go toe to toe with a fifth level fighter. First round cast inivisibility, then shield, then true strik. Go and have fun. Your first melee is pretty much guaranteed to hit because of the true strike spell, then you use your breath weapon. After that just slug it out for a while. God it's always fun doing that.
Sandokiri

EN: What books do you have?

Races of Destiny (talks about Humans, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and Illumians), and someone around here has a Faerun book. What book is the Battle Sorceror in? That sounds fun.

Daicon: We're not allowed to choose races outside of the core ones and Illumians.
Dragon Disciple grants the Half-Dragon template at 10thlevel, you know...
Maz Medias
Dragon Disciple grants the Half-Dragon template at 10thlevel, you know...

I know. But like you said, it takes ten levels as opposed to getting it right away. But yeah, now that she said they can't chose anything but core races and Illumians I'll say the Dragon Disciple PrC too. Takes a while to get all the bonus, but atleast you're getting better than average HP without having to have an ECL of +3 for a while.
Eldritch Knight is a completely broken PrC in the DMG 3.5. Fighter attack bonus progression, 1st level Bonus Feat like a fighter, the other nine levels you advance in your spellcasting class as normal. I don't recommend it though just because it's got no flavor to it, it's just kind of bland.

Also a sorcerer/Blood Magus, if you know what you're doing, makes a SCARY melee fighter. I had an 11th level character, grugach Sorc 5, Blood Magus 6, that was a better melee fighter than anything but my own personal most broken characters. Take spells like Mage Armor and Shield, Bull's Strength. True Strike, Fly, Invisibilty/Imp. Invis, Dimension Door for jumping around the battlefield.. And toss on Fireball and Lightning Bolt for your ranged combat. Buy a decent melee weapon and a magic mithril shirt. Make sure you've got a nice Con though to make full use of your ability to store potions in your blood (and keep yourself alive as you wade into combat), and keep your dex and strength respectable. Int and Wis were my "dump stats"
Races of Destiny? You could take Able Learner and buy Cross-class skills cheaper, and learn to pick locks or sneak around. Or you could just cross-class into something that has desirable skills as class skills that sorceror's don't have.
Enchanter Kis
Eldritch Knight is a completely broken PrC in the DMG 3.5. Fighter attack bonus progression, 1st level Bonus Feat like a fighter, the other nine levels you advance in your spellcasting class as normal. I don't recommend it though just because it's got no flavor to it, it's just kind of bland.
Right. Because that really sounds "broken"
Ipulled this off in 2nd Ed, and a friend of mine and I are helping someone new to d20 pull it off in 3E.

The dragon Disciple is a good idea, but the DM may not allow it due to access limitations (I have had DMs that went either way...yes or no to trusting a player with that stuff when the DM didn't).
However, with the right options...you can easily do this.

First, buff spells. Screw Magic missile and the like. You need Bull Strength, Cat's Grace, Mage Armor, Blur, Displace Self, Blink, Shield...things like that. Raise your STR, Con, and DEX up the damned roof, and then work on defence (do the opposite at low levels).
Also, use the spear! You are able to use it, and you can technically use it in a two handed attack...x1.5 STR. Its worth it.

Either that, or be a human, use your extra starting feat to buy Martial Weaps/Exotic weap, and use NOTHING but reach weapons. Attack of Oppurtunity come very easily (I should know...I have a Rogue thats a chain fighter, and mixing attack of oppurtunity with Sneak attack gets brutal wink )

But yeah, that is just a starting list for you.
One of the things that the party I am working with was joking about was for me to walk in the 15th level one shot game we had with 4 dancing swords and a trenchcoat-style cloak...just open it up and let it rip!
lol...you can always save up for it.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it when I get to work wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas