Welcome to Gaia! ::

GaYnus's Husband

Shameless Man-Lover

10,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Commander/EDH must have cards (highly versatile cards)

White
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Odric, Master Tactician
Sublime Archangel
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Admonition Angel
Serra Ascendant
Intrepid Hero
Enlightened Tutor
Grand Abolisher
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Cathar's Crusade
True Conviction
Martyr's Bond
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Baneslayer Angel
Heliod, God of the Sun
Serene Master
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Karmic Guide
Adarkar Valkyrie
Guardian of the Gateless
Land Tax
Wrath of God
Condemn
Sun Titan
Rest in Peace
Armageddon
Faith's Reward

Blue
Sakashima, the Imposter
Sakashima's Student
Clone
Phyrexian Ingester
Roil Elemental
Quicksilver Garagantuan
Magus of the Future
Wonder
Thassa, God of the Sea
Consecrated Sphinx
Levitation
Following Footsteps
Copy Enchantment
Mystical Tutor
Brainstorm
Ponder
Hinder

Black
Sheoldred Whispering One
Visara the Dreadful
Erebos, God of the Dead
Royal Assassin
Grave pact
Bloodline Keeper
Sanguine Bond
Rune-Scarred Demon
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Necropolis Regent
Lord of the Void
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Dread
Grave Titan
Massacre Wurm
Geth, Lord of the Vault
Life's Finale
Grave Betrayal
Doom Blade
Diabolic Tutor
Increasing Ambition
Exquiste Blood
Grave Pact
Go for the Throat
Murder
Damnation
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Animate Dead
Reanimate
Necropotence
Sepulchral Primordial
Dictate of Erebos

Green
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Vigor
Engulfing Slagwurm
Garruk's Horde
Giant Adephage
Somberwald Sage
Elvish Piper
Birds of Paradise
Lurking Predators
Bear Umbra
Death's Presence
Worldly Tutor
Master of the Wild Hunt
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Doubling Season
Oracle of Mul Daya
Defense of the Heart
Hua Tuo, Honored Physician
Seedborn Muse
Cream of the Crop
Ulvenwald Tracker
Overwhelming Stampede
Asceticism
Survival of the Fittest
Krosan Grip
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Farseek
Mirri's Guile
Exploration

Red
Urabrask, the Hidden
Balefire Dragon
Utvara Hellkite
Hellkite Charger
Inferno Titan
Hamletback Goliath
Stalking Vengeance
Warstorm Surge
Krenko, Mob Boss
Kiki Jiki, Mirrorbreaker
Gratuitous Violence
Wild Ricochet
Anger
Gamble
Insurrection
Chaos Warp
Vicious Shadows
Chaos Warp

Artifacts
Akroma's Memorial
Wurmcoil Engine
Steel Hellkite
Lightning Greaves
Quicksilver Amulet
Whispersilk Cloak
Bow of Nylea
Sol Ring
Doubling Cube
Mimic Vat
Scroll Rack
Sensei's Divining Top
Phyrexian Metamorph
Druidic Satchel
Gilded Lotus
Caged Sun
Oblivion Stone
Thran Dynamo
Smokestack
Torpor Orb
Godsend (mono-white)
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Body and Mind

Land
Command Tower
Homeward Path
Rogue's Passage
Reliquary Tower
Maze of Ith
Thawing Glaciers

Planeswalker
Liliana Vess
Elspeth Knight-Errant
Garruk Wildspeaker
Sorin Markov
Jace Baleren

If you think of any mono-colored cards, artifact cards, planes walker cards or land cards that I left out please post them and I will consider adding them to the list.

Dedcadent Pants

I diasagree with almost every card you have posted - they are nice to haves (some more than others), but hardly required.

The ones I do agree with are StP, PtE, Enlightened Tutor, and Command Tower. Everything else has a time and place.

Additionally, you left out Sol Ring, Mox Diamond, Thawing Glaciers, Expedition Map, Coalition Relic (which isn't good in mono color), the various PWs (Elspeth 1 is far more useful to me in most decks than Baneslayer, Akroma, and Serra Ascendent, for example), the other tutors (Merchant Scroll, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Grim Tutor, Imperial Seal, even Rampant Growth), as well as some staple card draw (which I will not enumerate because not everyone agrees on what contributes staples there).

Yada yada. I could go on, but I think the point has been made.

8,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Contributor 150
I feel some Damnation is in order as I find your lack of WoG disturbing. Or any other mass removal. Nevinyrral's disk is another example.

As Lia said, I find it hard to have a lot of 'must haves' that should be in every single EDH deck of a given colour. A lot of those choices rely on the strategies you're after. Personally, I'd say Sword of Fire and Ice over Bow of Neylea as Neylea requires green mana and SoFaI has no such requisites.

You did pick some of the nicer ones for each colour for such a format though.

Dedcadent Pants

Zeddicuus
I feel some Damnation is in order as I find your lack of WoG disturbing. Or any other mass removal. Nevinyrral's disk is another example.

Some decks may not want to run mass removal, hence why I excluded it from my list. It would be possible, most likely in a blue/white deck, to simply run Ensnaring Bridge/Island Sanctuary/Moat/Teferi's Moat and simply not worry about being attacked. Similarly, Silent Arbiter (or whatever it is that only lets 1 creature attack each combat) can allow a player to forgo Wrath effects. Or, if they're running cards like Martyr's Bond or Grave Pact, Enduring Renewal + cheap creature can eliminate the need for it.

Decks that run sacrifice engines requiring lots of tokens, or that have some creature-based combo, might be the main suspects for not running the removal.

GaYnus's Husband

Shameless Man-Lover

10,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
LiaThistle
I diasagree with almost every card you have posted - they are nice to haves (some more than others), but hardly required.

The ones I do agree with are StP, PtE, Enlightened Tutor, and Command Tower. Everything else has a time and place.

Additionally, you left out Sol Ring, Mox Diamond, Thawing Glaciers, Expedition Map, Coalition Relic (which isn't good in mono color), the various PWs (Elspeth 1 is far more useful to me in most decks than Baneslayer, Akroma, and Serra Ascendent, for example), the other tutors (Merchant Scroll, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Grim Tutor, Imperial Seal, even Rampant Growth), as well as some staple card draw (which I will not enumerate because not everyone agrees on what contributes staples there).

Yada yada. I could go on, but I think the point has been made.

This is just the start of the list, I didn't say these were required. I used (must have cards) to refer to highly VERSATILE cards. I didn't say the list was complete and I even asked for other gaian's input.
not really a must have but mimic vat

Dedcadent Pants

Karmic Guide
This is just the start of the list, I didn't say these were required. I used (must have cards) to refer to highly vertical cards. I didn't say the list was complete and I even asked for other gaian's input.

So...your definition of "must haves" does not mean "must have?"
Can't say I've heard the phrase "highly vertical" before.

Anyways, Mox Diamond and Thawing Glaciers I can give you a pass on. Few people have access to them and few people seem to remember them unless they own 'em. Sol Ring and Expedition Map are pretty much things that you should have thought of long before StP, PtE, or almost anything else on the list.

The main issue I take with the list is what I alluded to with my response to Zeddicuus: Magic is so highly situation and potentially synergistic that almost any card can be a solid pick - or a firm exclusion - based on the deck. For example, you're not going to run Wrath or Day in a Rhys the Redeemed deck, because it doesn't make sense. Similarly, a deck that has only half a dozen creatures (which I was considering as a concept deck recently, using Autumn Willow as the general and a surprising amount of green defense) isn't going to care about Wordly Tutor, BoP, or Piper. Heck, I led the design of a Mishra, Artificier Prodigy deck on Gaia - and it's still around here.*

As a result, this means that your list is pretty much gonna explode into almost every mediocre and above card or be pruned down to only artifacts and lands.

*If you want to see it, ask for the link; it's faster than trying to dig it up.

GaYnus's Husband

Shameless Man-Lover

10,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
LiaThistle
Karmic Guide
This is just the start of the list, I didn't say these were required. I used (must have cards) to refer to highly vertical cards. I didn't say the list was complete and I even asked for other gaian's input.

Anyways, Mox Diamond and Thawing Glaciers I can give you a pass on. Few people have access to them and few people seem to remember them unless they own 'em. Sol Ring and Expedition Map are pretty much things that you should have thought of long before StP, PtE, or almost anything else on the list.

The main issue I take with the list is what I alluded to with my response to Zeddicuus: Magic is so highly situation and potentially synergistic that almost any card can be a solid pick - or a firm exclusion - based on the deck. For example, you're not going to run Wrath or Day in a Rhys the Redeemed deck, because it doesn't make sense. Similarly, a deck that has only half a dozen creatures (which I was considering as a concept deck recently, using Autumn Willow as the general and a surprising amount of green defense) isn't going to care about Wordly Tutor, BoP, or Piper. Heck, I led the design of a Mishra, Artificier Prodigy deck on Gaia - and it's still around here.*

As a result, this means that your list is pretty much gonna explode into almost every mediocre and above card or be pruned down to only artifacts and lands.

*If you want to see it, ask for the link; it's faster than trying to dig it up.

Instead of being simply helpful you feel the need to be overly critical.

Dedcadent Pants

Karmic Guide
Instead of being simply helpful you feel the need to be overly critical.

I felt the need to point out a fool's task before you spent too much time and energy on it. I repeat: Magic is so highly situation and potentially synergistic that almost any card can be a solid pick - or a firm exclusion - based on the deck.

If you feel I'm wrong, prove it.

GaYnus's Husband

Shameless Man-Lover

10,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Angelic Clover
not really a must have but mimic vat

I don't use this card myself but I've seen lots of decks that do and do it well so I'll add it to the list. Thank you for the suggestion.

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
Yeah alot of thesef cards dont do much in certain decks.. like why does green have overwhelming stampede but not sylvan library, no craterhoof behemoth, no phyrexian metamorph.. and doom blade is on the list.. who runs doom blade? if your going to run limited removal like that just run murder.. it cost one more but hits more. I dont know just my opinions and thats whats wrong with these kind of list

Feline Vampire

You need to add Druidic Satchel and Primeval Bounty to this list.

Gracious Grabber

LiaThistle

Kinda curious about what he means by "highly vertical" myself. I on the other hand have heard cards and abilities in MTG referred to as horizontal or vertical before.

For example a Quirion Dryad would be considered a vertical card due to it stacking +1/+1 counters on itself. Hence getting taller or going vertical. On the flip side you have something like a Young Pyromancer which would be described as a horizontal card. As opposed to the dryad that gets bigger itself, the pyromancer spews out a slew of 1/1 dudes to essentially get fatter sideways. Hence going horizontal.

From here in discussions I have had elsewhere we have referred to the degree to which a card can go vertical or horizonal by relative amounts i.e. "very vertical".
Lia, this is a bit of a fools errand. I mean where do you draw the line at "what is an 'essential' card"? Alsothe problem with these lists is that they tend to create "good stuff" decks where cards are just jammed in like a shopping list.

What I would prefer to see if you must do something like this is grouping cards as well by broad archetype then colour. Or grouping good cards by ability then colour.

e.g.

Ways to kill dudes:
Black:
Damnation
Murder
Go for the throat
Blue:
n/a
White:
Wrath
StP
PtE

Etc.

Dedcadent Pants

Dark-oneechan
Lia, this is a bit of a fools errand. I mean where do you draw the line at "what is an 'essential' card"? Alsothe problem with these lists is that they tend to create "good stuff" decks where cards are just jammed in like a shopping list.

That was what I told the OP - 3 months ago.
Ravia came in and spammed the MtG threads around a week ago, bringing up 8 or so from January and February. This was one of them.

On an unrelated note, the "horizontal" I've heard of in reference to card games is different strategies that are equally viable. For example, it'd be like Fish and Zoo - they're largely horizontal in Vintage and Legacy, being able to handle most of the same decks with very similar win rates (though against combo, Fish does better, and against swarm, Zoo does better). In contrast, the "vertical" decks are decks like TPS or Keeper, where the player skill makes a difference even if the same cards are used (so the power of the deck scales up with the player skill).

So, here, calling Avacyn "highly vertical" makes no sense - it doesn't change in power/toughness/evasion based on the player.
Just was curious here...

Where do Gilded Lotus or Caged Sun stand in this EDH list?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff