Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm playing in a 4-way free for all Commander game and this situation came up and I wasn't entirely sure how it would resolve so I wanted to see if anyone here would know if what we decided would be right.

Just for the sake of ease, the effects taking place are between a card in play on Player 1's side of the field and my side (think of me as Player 4, since that's the turn order).

On my side of the field, I have Colfenor's Urn in play as well as a creature with toughness greater than 4.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Player 1 has Mimic Vat in play.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The active player (Player 2) plays a spell which kills my creature. Both cards in play target my creature as it would go to the graveyard. Which actually goes off?

The resolution that we used was that the abilities stacked following the turn order. So, since I was next player in turn order, my ability would trigger first but then Player 1's ability would trigger next, going onto the stack. Since his ability activated was the last to go on the stack, it resolves first and exiles the creature and I'm not able to target it with Urn. Was this done correctly?

Thanks for you help.

Dedcadent Pants

Nope.

When multiple triggered abilities occur, the active player puts all their abilities on the stack in any order, then the next player, and so forth, until all triggered abilities are on the stack. Then resolve them.
LiaThistle

When multiple triggered abilities occur, the active player puts all their abilities on the stack in any order, then the next player, and so forth, until all triggered abilities are on the stack. Then resolve them.

In this instance, the active player didn't have any abilities on the stack. His card resolved without responses. So, if you then go to the "next player" then it would go to Player 3 (who has no triggered abilities), then to me (Urn is the only triggered ability), and lastly to Player 1 (whose Vat goes on the stack above the Urn).

If that's what you're saying, then you're saying we did resolve it properly. Or are you saying the Urn would completely resolve before going to the next player's triggered abilities?

Dedcadent Pants

My mistake, I misread. I thought the active player and the player with the vat were the same.

So yes, how you handled it was correct.

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
Yeah you would lose your creature.. because what you guys did was the correct order
Yep. Perfectly correct, except be careful about saying target. The urn doesn't target.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
MyNameIsKir
Yep. Perfectly correct, except be careful about saying target. The urn doesn't target.

Neither card targets.

For Triggered Abilities (such as the example), following turn order is correct.
In multiplayer games, APNAP still controls the order that triggered abilities go on the stack in. Nonactive players' abilities are processed in turn order.

In this case, AP has nothing going on the stack, NAP1 (you) have a Colfenor's Urn trigger, NAP2 has the Mimic Vat trigger. The Vat trigger goes on last, is on top, and resolves first; if its controller chooses to exile your creature card, your Urn trigger won't be able to find the creature card & will end up doing nothing.

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image
"Yes you did it the right way.

I hate when that happens though."
User Image
MyNameIsKir

Would I be correct in guessing that there's a L2 test in your near future?
Atog v1771561
MyNameIsKir

Hahaha I wish. I screwed up, as Liquidor pointed out, by not reading the other card carefully and missing that that card also doesn't target.

I only started playing Magic 3 months ago, and I only became certified as a judge one month ago. I've also only have judged two PTQs. I'm very far from my L2 exam. Not to mention that I've never played Modern, and don't own any decks other than a few of the Commander 2013 decks. But I'm very flattered, thank you. I hope to be a L2 someday.
MyNameIsKir
Atog v1771561
MyNameIsKir

Hahaha I wish. I screwed up, as Liquidor pointed out, by not reading the other card carefully and missing that that card also doesn't target.

I only started playing Magic 3 months ago, and I only became certified as a judge one month ago. I've also only have judged two PTQs. I'm very far from my L2 exam. Not to mention that I've never played Modern, and don't own any decks other than a few of the Commander 2013 decks. But I'm very flattered, thank you. I hope to be a L2 someday.

I'm here if you need a study partner or something, I've been an L1 off and on for the last 10 years & am about to take the L2, would've done it at GP Dallas if not for the ridiculous blizzard.
Atog v1771561
MyNameIsKir
Atog v1771561
MyNameIsKir

I'm here if you need a study partner or something, I've been an L1 off and on for the last 10 years & am about to take the L2, would've done it at GP Dallas if not for the ridiculous blizzard.

I very much would! Thank you! Hit me up so we can trade contact info?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff