I'm Alpha testing it 0.056692913385827 5.7% [ 36 ]
Whats pathfinder? 0.15433070866142 15.4% [ 98 ]
I'm a whore 0.028346456692913 2.8% [ 18 ]
I'm a bigger whore 0.088188976377953 8.8% [ 56 ]
Total Votes:[ 635 ]

Blessed Duelist

Symorin
What's this spell per day stuff?

Essentially, Yes. You can only cast as many spells per day as listed.
Now, if you relevent ability score is high enough (so for bard, it would be Charisma) you can cast bonus spells per day. though at level 1 even with the highest charisma possible to start with you'd only be gaining a single extra spell (at least for that spell level)

there should be a chart in the book about "Bonus Spells"

while yes, that does seem a bit much, but such is spell casting.
once you start hitting higher levels, a spellcaster can easily be VERY powerful. so untill then it's up to you to survive till you can start bringing out those big guns.

Class Skills
Roll for skills? this sounds much like a house-rule

each class starts off with a specific amount of points to spend on skills. each class will have it's amount listed as part of it's class stub, in pathfinder it comes in the amount of something like _ + int mod/bonus
so a Rogue with 14 int score (Bonus = (score - 10) / 2, so 2 in this case) would have 8 + Int, which would be 10 skill point.
normally, this would mean for this rogue at 1st level would have 10 skills, as you can never put more points into a single skill higher than the amount of dice you've "rolled" for you hit points (99% of the time = to your level when considering player characters)

in pathfinder, as I understand it, you can select any skill. however putting these "points" into class skills gives you a 3 bonus to that skill on top of the points you actually invest in the skill. putting the points into non-class skills simply means you won't be getting this +3 bonus

Weapons and hit dice... How in God's name do they work?
Hit Dice just means how many dice were rolled to accumulate your current hit point value, it's almost always equal to your class level.

for weapon; yes. in most cases you add your strength bonus to damage (or Strengh bonus + half strengh bonus for two-handing a weapon, or only half your strength bonus if your wielding a one-handed weapon in your offhand, round down for fractions)
But do note. a 12 strength score is only a + 1 to damage (as with my wierd formula above, it would be (12-10) / 2
there are actually a lot of factors that could lend to bonus to damage, via feats, class features whether or not their magic, etc.

if you find that confusing, I don't blame you. I was pretty much just doing what other players told me to do till I got into the swing of things, you'd be very, VERY far from the first to find this all confusing (I've been playing for over a decade now, and I still have to go back to the rule-book for every tiny thing).
best way to learn is to play with people who have even a mediocer amount of experience with the game, that'll speed your learning rate.

Dapper Codger

4,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Xerkxes
Symorin
What's this spell per day stuff?

Essentially, Yes. You can only cast as many spells per day as listed.
Now, if you relevent ability score is high enough (so for bard, it would be Charisma) you can cast bonus spells per day. though at level 1 even with the highest charisma possible to start with you'd only be gaining a single extra spell (at least for that spell level)

there should be a chart in the book about "Bonus Spells"

while yes, that does seem a bit much, but such is spell casting.
once you start hitting higher levels, a spellcaster can easily be VERY powerful. so untill then it's up to you to survive till you can start bringing out those big guns.

Class Skills
Roll for skills? this sounds much like a house-rule

each class starts off with a specific amount of points to spend on skills. each class will have it's amount listed as part of it's class stub, in pathfinder it comes in the amount of something like _ + int mod/bonus
so a Rogue with 14 int score (Bonus = (score - 10) / 2, so 2 in this case) would have 8 + Int, which would be 10 skill point.
normally, this would mean for this rogue at 1st level would have 10 skills, as you can never put more points into a single skill higher than the amount of dice you've "rolled" for you hit points (99% of the time = to your level when considering player characters)

in pathfinder, as I understand it, you can select any skill. however putting these "points" into class skills gives you a 3 bonus to that skill on top of the points you actually invest in the skill. putting the points into non-class skills simply means you won't be getting this +3 bonus

Weapons and hit dice... How in God's name do they work?
Hit Dice just means how many dice were rolled to accumulate your current hit point value, it's almost always equal to your class level.

for weapon; yes. in most cases you add your strength bonus to damage (or Strengh bonus + half strengh bonus for two-handing a weapon, or only half your strength bonus if your wielding a one-handed weapon in your offhand, round down for fractions)
But do note. a 12 strength score is only a + 1 to damage (as with my wierd formula above, it would be (12-10) / 2
there are actually a lot of factors that could lend to bonus to damage, via feats, class features whether or not their magic, etc.

if you find that confusing, I don't blame you. I was pretty much just doing what other players told me to do till I got into the swing of things, you'd be very, VERY far from the first to find this all confusing (I've been playing for over a decade now, and I still have to go back to the rule-book for every tiny thing).
best way to learn is to play with people who have even a mediocer amount of experience with the game, that'll speed your learning rate.

Thank you very much for your advice, it's a big help.

The book can be helpful, although it seems to forget a few things that people new to tabletop games would have questions about, you really did clear up some of my biggest questions! ^_^

Anyways, is that "Stat - 10 divided by 2" formula the same for trying to figure out all bonuses based on things like Intelligence or charisma, or just used occasionally? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just really eager to play.

Blessed Duelist

Symorin

Thank you very much for your advice, it's a big help.

The book can be helpful, although it seems to forget a few things that people new to tabletop games would have questions about, you really did clear up some of my biggest questions! ^_^

Anyways, is that "Stat - 10 divided by 2" formula the same for trying to figure out all bonuses based on things like Intelligence or charisma, or just used occasionally? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just really eager to play.

not a problem!

It works for every stat.

most often the raw ability score is used for pre-requisites for feats or a limiter as to what kind of spells you can cast. (like you need an int of 11 to cast 1st level spells as a wizard, but an int of 19 to cast 9th level spells as a wizard, not including being a high enough level wizard to cast such spells in the first place)

the "Bonus" sees a bit more frequent use, as they can apply to features, abilities, skill rolls, saving throws, attack rolls, damage rolls, etc.

Greedy Codger

4,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
Also worth noting is that the bard example you used is not typical of most spellcasters and spells per day. A bard has much fewer spells per day because they have a reasonable amount of combat skill and class abilities to fall back on, in exchange for diminished spellcasting.

On the other hand, classes whose primary focus is spellcasting, like the cleric, sorcerer, and wizard, generally get enough spells per day to avoid becoming useless after a single encounter. Note also that 0-level spells (which the bard also gets) have unlimited uses per day.

Blessed Duelist

Just as Wizards and Sorcerers have their school and bloodline abilities to help back them up.

or maybe there's a Class Arch type you can hit up too give yourself some means of defending yourself without relying completely on spells.

I mean.. I remember back in the day with a bunch of variant rules, a friend of mine had a Sorcerer who had 3/4 BAB progression and d8 + 2 + con bonus HP per level at the cost of a few less spells per day (per spell level)
are DM was kind of pissed with him, as he had more hit points than our Fighter from first level XD

Dapper Explorer

Well, the Monster Campaign is coming along okay, though the group seems heavy on undead right now. I'm working on how much cash to make available for dungeon creation - using the Stronghold Builders Guide (3.5 book) for the building mechanics seems to be working pretty well for now.

I'm thinking that the first adventuring group that attempts to tackle their dungeon should be 3rd level. The main monsters are CR 4 and I am limiting the bulk of their minions to CR 1-2 for now with the exception of a single CR 3 under each player.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts on that setup are ..

Dapper Explorer

Insanity Logic
Fan_Boy
Well, the Monster Campaign is coming along okay, though the group seems heavy on undead right now. I'm working on how much cash to make available for dungeon creation - using the Stronghold Builders Guide (3.5 book) for the building mechanics seems to be working pretty well for now.

I'm thinking that the first adventuring group that attempts to tackle their dungeon should be 3rd level. The main monsters are CR 4 and I am limiting the bulk of their minions to CR 1-2 for now with the exception of a single CR 3 under each player.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts on that setup are ..
I'm thinking that if they played smart and flat out tackled the NPC's at full force instead of playing the classic unorganized we were ambushed in our base and didn't think to co-ordinate villains. They're going to wipe out the opposing party.

Though if the opposing party is careful, then they may survive. I just keep imagining a part of CR 4 PC's with CR, 1, 2, and 3 underlings all ganking a group of CR 3's and wiping the floor with em >.>

I am assuming that the CR 3 adventuring party (5 members) would be beaten. I am running this as a campaign - the villains will have an easier time initially as the initial resistance would be locals rather than seasoned adventurers. I'm hoping I can make the experience grow organically as the sinister plans garner a lot of attention. End-game I am aiming for the villains to be CR 12 or so and defending against the best the land has to offer.

And yes, the players will be rather devious and ruthless.

Greedy Codger

4,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
Haven't been able to play in a while, unfortunately. Most of my group has exams and major assignments for their classes coming up soon, so they haven't had the time to sit down for 4-5 hours and play. Not all at the same time, at least.

I hope we get back to it soon, though. We were in the middle of a story arc I'd like to resolve.

Dedicated Lover

8,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
Had a session of PF this weekend. Playing a lvl 10 dwarf Cleric of Torag (artifice/protection domains). Got swallowed whole by a gargantuan crocodile... but I lived. lol

Quotable Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
It is a much better version of 3.5. I played as Bob the Expendable (a rogue/wizard whose family was famous for being cannon fodder for war) and had a blast.
Okay, two questions. One how much would a wand of healing, using the level 0 spell that heals 1 hp, cost if it had no charges and was use on command.

second, what is the most broken character you can think of. Everyone in my present group is making one to hold over our dms head. He thought we could handle a cr 11 cloud giant that ambushed us while we were fighting a group of kobolds. We were lvl 9, not over powered, we held back alot on making ourselves overpowered. the kobolds were just a problem a local town was having. That night was more just rp than fighting so the cr 1 kobolds were just fodder. however we felt the cloud giant who, was inteligent, should have killed us. Instead our dm realising his mistake decided to play the giant dumber than normal. Anyway, we came away from the fight with me the mage having 4 hp, our tank having 2 hp, the monk had 8 hp, and the ninja wasnt in range. but he would have been dead if the dm had been rolling the damage right. Additionaly he rigged a game of chance against our tank, whos perception check is like 43 with a decent roll. He took all his money by cheating but claimed the whole time he wasnt cheating. Then when caught cheating he simply said ******** you.

So we are making characters to hold over him as a, play right or we bring these in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff